Wow! Awsome GL-2 Trailer - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 15th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Thanks Jim

For joining and posting this good info. Being one of the many GL2 users here, it gives us a nice boost in confidence to our initial choice of purchasing this camera. Seeing what others (like yourself) can do, and learning new techniques for shooting and post work, really helps us all improve our own projects. Especially since most of us are seriously budget restricted.

I know I will be applying these tips in many areas of my own works to improve the over all look and feel of them.

Thanks again!

Sean Hansen
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Question to Jim Cole

You said you shot Sundowning in the regular 60i mode, then used Magic Bullet to deinterlace. I participate in events where a short movie must be shot and edited in less than 48 hours, so it would be unrealistic for me to use Magic Bullet, due to the long rendering times. If deinterlacing in post is not possible because of the time constraints, would you then recommend shooting in Frame Mode over the regular 60i? Or does you experience say that the loss of resolution is not worth it?
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois Robichaud
You said you shot Sundowning in the regular 60i mode, then used Magic Bullet to deinterlace. I participate in events where a short movie must be shot and edited in less than 48 hours, so it would be unrealistic for me to use Magic Bullet, due to the long rendering times. If deinterlacing in post is not possible because of the time constraints, would you then recommend shooting in Frame Mode over the regular 60i? Or does you experience say that the loss of resolution is not worth it?

Absolutely shoot in frame mode otherwise it's going to look like total amatuer video.

Frame mode really doesn't look that much different than Magic bullet unless you look really careful. It is better, but not as much as 50%.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:19 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I saw this trailer over a week ago and I was impressed.

I thought it looked well even if it didn't have a big-budget appearance. In fact, the acting and the trailer were so intriguing that I didn't care, and I just took it as a complete package.

I won't be doing any film for a few years, I'm considering taking some classes at a nearby college and doing a 20 minute short first. I'm still learning, but after seeing "The Riddle" (which I believe was shot with an XL1S) I figured that the XL line, maybe an XL2, would be something to look into.

But now finding out your work was done with a GL2, and of course I'm not forgetting about post-production (in your trailer and "The Riddle") -- it is still inspiring, and I realised I could save some money by going with a GL2! So now I am weighing in on that option. There is one thing that kinda bothered me, the trailer had a "bloomy" highlight look. It was most noticable on scenes where some characters were wearing bright clothes like a white t-shirt.

What I have seen is inspiring, thank you.
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #35
Regular Crew

About frame mode...

I just did a quick test, a 3/4 close up of myself (shoulders included) with soft key on the off-camera side, a reflector for fill on the on-camera side, and a hard backlight. Ratio at 16/9, shutter 1/60, aperture 2.0, gain 0dB (custom presets at default).

I repeated the same shot in both normal and frame modes, then watched it on my TV. Sure, the motion rendition is nice in frame mode, but the drop in resolution is pretty bad! I wear glasses and the frames of the glasses become all jagged in frame mode (this looks fine in interlaced mode). On a more extreme close-up however (basically part of the face, centered on the eyes), it's not as bad because the detail is bigger.

I need to see how this looks when I deinterlace the interlaced shot in post. But with this test, I don't know which is worst, the loss of resolution of frame mode, or the "video-like" motion of interlaced... BUT, my TV might make this look worse than it is, as it's pretty big (51").

So you know where I stand, I've always used my GL2 in normal mode, because I'd heard of the loss of resolution in frame mode. I had never made a side-by-side comparison before (I've only had it for 5 months). I'm going to do more tests now!
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:44 PM   #36
New Boot

great stuff!
David Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #37
Old Boot

Jim, how did you "monitor" the in-camera 16:9 mode?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #38
RED Code Chef

Grazie: you might want to send him an e-mail to get him back to this thread,
I'm not sure if he is still following it. Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #39
Old Boot

Yes, Rob .. I did this before posting here .. for the same reasons! But, it would appear I'm NOT getting a DVinfo "Your email has been sent" or any reference within my own emailer that I had in fact emailed Jim. Sooooo... that is why I posted here .. .

But thanks for the caring thought . . . vot a MENCH! ! !

Grazie

. .. note to self . .I must contact Chris and see what is happening with me emails . . .
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #40
New Boot

16:9 monitoring

Hi Graham et all -

re: 16:9 monitoring on the GL2.... it's a simple answer - I didn't. I basically just got used to looking at the stretched image on the GL2 LCD screen. I'd say this is do-able, and it is the kind of compromise one can easily make when trying to stick to a very low-budget. But of course, it's also a huge pain, and is definitely one of the drawbacks of the GL2. I would always be in favor of letterboxed monitoring on a built-in lcd. Of course, a 16:9 capable broadcast monitor would also do the trick, but if you can afford one of those on set, you're probably not using a GL2.

A quick word about an earlier post re: frame mode.... to my eye, the loss of resolution in frame mode on the GL2 is very noticeable, and I would strongly advise against it for any work that will be shown on a big screen. I don't think shooting interlaced for narrative work is a good bet either... unfair as this may be, the general public/distributors/festival juries subconsciously but unfailingly associate the progressive look with that of "quality" in a narrative. This may change. In any case, that's why we chose to use Magic Bullet, rendering times and all. BUT, I think I've read that more recent releases of MB have dramatically increased rendering speed... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Just finishing up post on a Varicam feature... and still using Magic Bullet (just MB for editors now, since cam shoots 24p.) Should have a trailer up on www.gumspirits.com/threepriests within a couple of weeks. Also, a quick plug (hope that's ok) "Sundowning" is gonna be released on DVD within the next 2 months, keep an eye on our website if interested for more info.

best
Jim
Jim Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #41
New Boot

one more thought...

I missed this question: Jean -Francois asked: "If deinterlacing in post is not possible because of the time constraints, would you then recommend shooting in Frame Mode over the regular 60i? Or does you experience say that the loss of resolution is not worth it?"

I guess it's a subjective decision... Personally I'd shoot in Frame Mode in this case, though I'm generally not in favor of it... although you'll take a hit either way, my feeling is that most audiences are far less aware of "resolution" than they are of the "feel" of the images, and progressive vs. interlaced has a very profound effect on the feel of a piece.

jim
Jim Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #42
Old Boot

Thanks Jim. Yes I've heard from another "professional" source the, "I basically just got used to looking at the stretched image on the GL2 LCD screen." . . . oh!

I'm considering a lowly priced monitor just for frame and focus.

Grazie
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cole
I missed this question: Jean -Francois asked: "If deinterlacing in post is not possible because of the time constraints, would you then recommend shooting in Frame Mode over the regular 60i? Or does you experience say that the loss of resolution is not worth it?"

I guess it's a subjective decision... Personally I'd shoot in Frame Mode in this case, though I'm generally not in favor of it... although you'll take a hit either way, my feeling is that most audiences are far less aware of "resolution" than they are of the "feel" of the images, and progressive vs. interlaced has a very profound effect on the feel of a piece.

jim
Since my last tests with frame mode, I've shot 3 short movies, all of them in frame mode, as there was no time for deinterlacing. I prefer the look of it over 60i, but I can sure see the degradation when projected on the big screen. On one of the movies, I added some diffusion in post, which had the side effect of hiding the loss of resolution a bit. On my next few projects, I'll have more time available for post, so I'll probably shot 60i, and then deinterlace.

As for framing 16:9, I also do it from the LCD. The bad thing about this is that I sometimes end up with a little too much space left and/or right of the main subject, unless I make a conscious effort of "de-stretching" mentally.
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM   #44
New Boot

How did you do the sound editing for the film?
Herman Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #45
Major Player

That is an amazing video. Great shots with the GL2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders