GL2 Pics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 5th, 2002, 08:09 AM   #16
Warden

buddy1065-

When your iMovie is download (using Mac G4, OS 10.2.1) the movie won't play. It shows a broken quicktime icon. Right click doesn't work either. I tried 3 different browsers and still no go (explorer, netscape and Chimera).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #17
Major Player

Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me. Since no one is reporting being able to succesfully view any of the movies I shall repost them in Quicktime format. Jeff, it could be that you cannot play MPEG2 movies on your system. All these movies download fine and play fullscreen once I save them to hard disk. It is because I have upgraded my QT 6 player to play MPEG2. Have you? Anyway since there are problems I will try to get .mov clips posted before the day ends. Thanks for the info, Jeff. Darn; just posted the 40x zoom clip too. Thought I had all of my ducks in a row...

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater12.html

Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 09:53 AM   #18
Warden

I tried saving to disk, but right click does nothing. The option to save never pops up. Good pun by the way. I also am using quicktime 6 with MPG2 option.

Jeff
Old October 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Jeff, try downloading

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater12.html

It is now in .mov format.

Enjoy, more to come.
Old October 5th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #20
Warden

Movie downloads and right click works. Thanks for your efforts and very nice footage.

Jeff
Old October 5th, 2002, 02:21 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Re: to buddy1065

It's more then a stop! The VX2000 also has a very bright image. I have owned a PD150 and two VX2000's. So I know how that camera works. I have said this since day one using those cameras that they can see in the dark. But the one thing that the VX2000 does not have, is frame mode. Sony just won't do it on those cams. To bad.

As to plastic. Not true. Michael Cutler in Irvine Canon says the GL2 has a magnesium alloy body covered in a plastic shell. So did the GL1. This is probably why I heard so many camera dropping stories and the thing just kept on ticking.

I have photographed a bunch of pictures for DVinfo gallery that shows off the GL2. I did the same for the VX2000 in the VX2000 gallery on this site. The GL2 pics are do to be up shortly!

Michael Pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by Odessadream : I agree that the photo quality is not te reason for buying a GL2 however it is a nice option if it works for website applications. Concerning digital still cameras I prefer a Canon G3 or S45 in the compact class.

Back to the GL2. Reading all treads I concluded that the GL2 is 0.5 to at most 1 stop less light sensitive than the VX2000 and that the audio quality is a bit better than the VX2000. The GL2 has a few better option like more zoom, l/r separated audio controll and full progressive scan/movie frame. Otherwise they are almost identical. The GL2 being a bit cheaper and having no metal body. Am I right ?? -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #22
Major Player

This may be the last clip for a while:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater13.html

It is about 7.5 MB 640x480 Sorenson 3 codec compressed. There is a scene showing a flock of ibis at 40x digital zoom. Guess you will have to imagine what the uncompressed footage looks like. All I can say is WOW.

I have deleted all the MPEG2 clips so that leaves only two .mov clips on my web page.

When it comes to documentary film like quality, I find the GL2 is just "ducky".
However I do think it needs good lighting and is not the see in the dark cam the VX reportedly is.

One more thing; 720x480 .mov full quality Quicktime files look rather heavily aliased on my laptop when they are run, especially when there is movement, unless I use the frame mode. After exporting to tape however the video looks great when shown on a TV monitor.
Old October 5th, 2002, 03:17 PM   #23
Trustee

Just a note on the vx2k vs gl2 low light thing...canon rates the gl2 at 6 lux (down to .37 lux with slower shutter speeds)...Sony rates the vx2k at 4 lux...so we're looking at 1/2 stop difference given they are using the same standards.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 03:24 PM   #24
Regular Crew

to Michael Pappas

What about the audio quality of the VX2000. I know they fixed the "HISS" problem in the manual gain controll mode of the PD150 but Sony did not fix this problem for the VX2000. So how thus the audio of the VX2000 compare to the GL2 in both auto and manual mode?????
Hans Kuipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 03:28 PM   #25
Regular Crew

to Barry Goyette

Thanks Barry for your reaction on the comment of Michael Pappas
on the low light performance of the GL2 vs the VX2000. This settles this argument ones and for all :-)
Old October 5th, 2002, 10:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Re: to Michael Pappas

First I will address this lux stuff. Spec ratings mean nothing from manufacture to manufacture. Real world tests and results mean all! The VX2000/Pd150 uses a Hyperhad ccd that not only is more sensitive in low light, it has a brighter image on color in low light. This is simply the way it is. Now the GL2 is a lot better then the GL1 was. It's close to the VX2000, but the VX2000 leads.

As to audio, the VX2000 does have more noise then the PD150. But if you matched the right Mic it sounded good. The GL2 so far appears to be excellent in the audio area. I like the side vu meters and the viewfinder display meters.

<<<-- Originally posted by Odessadream : What about the audio quality of the VX2000. I know they fixed the "HISS" problem in the manual gain controll mode of the PD150 but Sony did not fix this problem for the VX2000. So how thus the audio of the VX2000 compare to the GL2 in both auto and manual mode????? -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 03:12 AM   #27
Regular Crew

to Michael Pappas

You said : " I have owned a PD150 and two VX2000's"

What happened??????? Why did you get rid of them?

Maybe the VX2000 is a bit better in low light however it does not compensate the features/option the Canon GL2 has. So for ME the GL2 will be a better purchase. Unfortunately the GL2 is not yet available in The Netherlands.
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:11 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Re: to Michael Pappas

Chris Hurd said one time at dinner that I change cameras like he changes shirts. He is correct. But this benefits everyone else since I have a good insight on how they perform!

The VX2000/Pd150 is a great camera. The GL1, XL1 (which I owned before the VX2000) was not as clean as the 2000/pd150 and the XL1 was not as sharp as the GL1. The Xl1 was as clean as the VX2000 though! The VX2000/PD150 was the sharpest of the cameras, so that's the one I went with. I got the PD150 when it first came out, but felt the extras were not worth an extra $1200. So I sold it for what I paid and got a vx2000. It's performance went unmatched in it's price range. Then the GL2 came out with it's higher rez ccd's making it a contender. Mix that with frame mode and it's a winner.

Frame mode is the biggest of the reasons. I got sick of converting the 60i footage. With frame mode it's all right there. If something comes out better. I will get that. You might be saying why not get the Pana/24p minidv. Well, I don't think the camera is worth $3800 to me. $1400 more then the gl2. I am also waiting for someone else to compete with Panasonic. You know someone will. Then maybe another upgrade is to come.

Michael Pappas

The list of cameras I have owned.

Hitachi B/W video camera - 1981 I was 12 years old.
Panasonic PK-957 -1985
JVC -1985 can't remember the model.
Sony Broadcast camera M2 3 tube saticon. -1986
Sony V-9 8mm camcorder. First camcorder for me. -1988
Sony ED-betacam 2 ccd removable lens camera. -1990
VX1000 -1996
AG-EZ1 - 1997
XL1 - December 1997
GL1 - 1998
PD-150 -2000
VX2000 -2000
Optura Pi-2001
GL2-2002

<<<-- Originally posted by Odessadream : You said : " I have owned a PD150 and two VX2000's"

What happened??????? Why did you get rid of them?

Maybe the VX2000 is a bit better in low light however it does not compensate the features/option the Canon GL2 has. So for ME the GL2 will be a better purchase. Unfortunately the GL2 is not yet available in The Netherlands. -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders