DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 vs VX2100 vs ??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41758-gl2-vs-vx2100-vs.html)

Georg Herbet March 24th, 2005 07:23 PM

GL2 vs VX2100 vs ???

I have a GL2 but am within the time in which I can return it for another unit. I'm not thrilled with the GL2 for these reasons:

1. it feels cheap
2. colors seem too saturated
3. notice red tint to some faces
4. controls are not always easy to use as they should be (tiny ND button in front is too much like the body to be able to feel easily, e.g.)

So I'm looking for other models that will hopefully feel more solid/professional, take better videos, but still be more portable than the XL2.

Is the VX2100 the way to go? The price is not that higher. Can anyone give me their experiences, choices?

Thanks.

Advil Dremali March 24th, 2005 07:32 PM

I have a vx2100 and I really like it. The color is really nice and it has 1/3'' CCD's, so you can't go wrong there. I don't notice any tint or oversaturation in auto mode. But theres custom presets where you can set the color saturation yourself. I really like it and I'd choose it over a Gl2 anyday, and as a matter of fact, I did. I was in a bit of a dillema, wondering which to get. But after quite a bit of research I decided on the 2100 and I don't regret it.

It's a bit of money to spend and I understand if you don't want to just go ahead and buy it just from reading this, so if you want some sample footage or anything, feel free to contact me. You can email me: kvasir@gmail.com or you can message me on AIM, which I prefer, my screenname is: xponyc0rex

Have a nice day :)

Dave Ferdinand March 25th, 2005 12:26 AM

1. Yes it does :)
2. Go to the color preset and reduce the saturation - it couldn't be easier.
3. By reducing the saturation/sharpening on the custom preset options, you'll reduce this artifact greatly.
4. Most cameras within this price range don't even have ND filter anyway, nor manual audio controls, so what do you expect?

What are you using the camera for? If you're doing skate boarding or sports shooting, broadcasting or lots of low light shots then definitely go with the VX2100. If you want to do films than I wouldn't recommend Sony - their image tends to be too crispy and shiny to make it 'film like'. I'd go for the DVC30 for film making (since you don't like the GL2, that is).

I own a GL2 and my short film is looking great... :)

Advil Dremali March 25th, 2005 01:26 AM

Dave, I agree with you about the Sony looking really crisp, which is what I love about it.

One thing I thought is.. The VX2100 looks crisp by default, but you can use the custom preset button to make it a little less crisp and more filmlike. Well, 'filmlike' is the wrong term. But more GL2-like. Whereas the GL2 is already not so crisp, but it's harder to make it crisp if thats the effect you want at the time.

Does that make sense? I don't think it does...heh.

But, what I'm trying to say is the VX2100 can look both crisp and full of color or a little more dull and filmish. But by default, in auto mode, it's really crisp.

Georg Herbet March 25th, 2005 09:03 AM

Thanks, folks. It looks as though after reading these posts and much more, my choice is coming down to DVC30 (or 60?) and the Sony 2100. How do I choose? Unfortunately, no local shops have these cams.

Boyd Ostroff March 25th, 2005 09:20 AM

FWIW, neither of those cameras can shoot high quality 16:9. Does that matter for your work? You might also consider the PDX-10 which does real 16:9, shoots in DVCAM mode and includes XLR inputs and a short shotgun mike. The VX-2100 will be much better in low light however, if you shoot documentary stuff outside at night for example. But at its current price of $1,600 the PDX-10 is a bargain.

Graham Bernard March 25th, 2005 12:56 PM

XM2 20x optical zoom . .oh yeah, lots of budget headroom for those accessories . . and ah yes . .they're cheaper from Canon . . sorry had to speak up for the XM2.

Grazie

Georg Herbet March 25th, 2005 01:07 PM

Graham, have you used cameras other than the XM2?

I guess what I have trouble finding is someone who's used lots of cameras and has decided on one.

You could ask me that about dslrs. But with camcorders, I'm a newbie.

Graham Bernard March 25th, 2005 01:09 PM

Nope! I'll slink away now, duly chided - Bye folks!

Graham Bernard March 25th, 2005 01:12 PM

Hold on! This IS an XM2 forum? . . hah nearly forgot!

Cosmin Rotaru March 25th, 2005 01:16 PM

I own the XM2. When I bought it, it was 2500euros (in europe) while the VX2000 (the VX2100 did not exists) was 3500euros. So, there was not to hard to choose from the two... If they'd cost the same (like in US, where they were ~2500USD) I would have choosen th sony, no question about it... Better in low light (I do weddings), and it does feel stronger (did I mention I do weddings? :) ). I also like the image on the VX2100 better. So, if the price is the same, I would go for the VX2100. (I hope my XM2 is not reading this :)