DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Matching the GL2 with the XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41808-matching-gl2-xl2.html)

Jim Sofranko March 25th, 2005 02:57 PM

Matching the GL2 with the XL2

Does anyone have any experience shooting the GL2 with the XL2 on a two camera shoot? I've posted this question before but
recently saw comparable images on this site and they looked very different. Although I don't know how much effort was made to match them.

Does the GL2 have the menu controls to come close to matching the cine gamma settings on the XL2?

I'm interested as to how the images will match in 30P and the GL2 version of it. This will be cut on an Avid Express. A previous post has led me to believe they will match well but I didn't know if the Avid would have any effect on it.

Also, can the GL2 take the MA100 and carry dual batteries?

Many thanks.

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2005 09:08 AM

Hi Jim,

The GL2 has some degree of image controls and custom presets, but not to the extent that the XL2 does, nor does it have cine gamma. That said, you could set up an XL2 to match a GL2, but not the other way around.

Frame Movie mode in the GL2 will be a fairly close match for 30p in the XL2. We might have to ask our moderator Dr. Pete Bauer to do some comparisons there.

The GL2 can not take the MA-100, there's no way for it to fit, but you can use the Canon dual battery holder with the GL2 if the holder is clipped to your belt or hung off the tripod. You may not even need it, though. A single BP-945 battery will power a GL2 for a good long while.

Jim Sofranko March 27th, 2005 10:28 PM

Thanks Chris - I have a dramatic shoot coming up in May for which I may need to purchase a 24p camera (although we will actually be shooting 30p - 4:3).

I like the XL2 especially because of the quality of the images, the component design, my familiarity of the XL line, plus all the nice accessories I have collected over time. But if I purchase the XL2 my choice for the second camera may be limited, for several reasons, to the Canon GL2. I have serious concerns about closely matching the two in side-by-side dramatic coverage. Plus if I can match them then I will probably end up bringing the quality of the XL2 down to match the GL2. My concerns are of the 30p, color, gamma, and resolution matching. But keep in mind that the final product will be for screening only on dvd on computers.

On the other hand, if I purchase a DVX 100 and shoot with a second DVX 100 then matching is much less of a concern. I'm not a big fan of the DVX line compared to the Canon but it may have to end up having to be my choice for budgetary reasons. In which case, I will need to sell my treasured accessories and all the goodies that make the XL line so nice.

Arrgh! So, I guess I'm hoping someone will tell me that the difference between the XL2 and the GL2 is quite unnoticeable. The shoot has a fairly well-known actor and may get some media coverage plus I am interested in pushing for a very stylized look. But it must be seamless to cut from one camera to the other because of the nature of the location and script.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Meryem Ersoz April 22nd, 2005 12:35 PM

this may be too late for your project, but...i have both these cameras now and have been in the process of testing them to match. frame mode on the gl2 and 30p on the XL2 are more different from each other than i expected. gl2 is still more "video-like" and xl2 is more "film-like" (i don't like these terms but hope you get my drift....) one way i have found to bring them closer together is to stick a warming filter on the gl2.

Dave Ferdinand April 22nd, 2005 04:34 PM

Isn't 30p on the XL2 a true progressive mode, while in the GL2 it's the 'fake' frame mode?

I have a GL2, and when I switch between frame mode and 60i, the loss of resolution is quite apparent.