gl2 not detected - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #16
Regular Crew

yeah, i just plug the fw adapter into the open slot on the side of the laptop. the cable then plugs into one of three ports on the card.
Adam Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #17
Old Boot

OKay ..

"the cable then plugs into one of three ports on the card." . . well, try and remove the PCMCIA card, reseat it CAREFULLY, then choose one or other of the 3 plugs you say you have. It might be that in all the travelling and various pluggings and unpluggins that one or other of the seattings has become .. er . .unseatted!

On my Dell laptop, I can "push" in a eject tab that mechanically pushes OUT the PCMCIA. Now I can do this "hotswappable" OR use the Dell proprietory HARDWARE removal/replace s/w that sits on my Quick Start bar - you have this?

I'm now thinking that somewhere along the road you have unlpugged without using the re,move option. Now this MIGHT have screwed around with the HO Swap options - I've had this - and the card is presently NOT recognised.

PLUS, I now understand you have been connecting to a UNIveristy network? Have you been using the same PCMCIA slot with or without using a further NETWORK PCMCIA card?

Lots more here to easily checkout.

I'm trying . .. HAH!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
OKay ..

"the cable then plugs into one of three ports on the card." . . well, try and remove the PCMCIA card, reseat it CAREFULLY, then choose one or other of the 3 plugs you say you have. It might be that in all the travelling and various pluggings and unpluggins that one or other of the seattings has become .. er . .unseatted!

On my Dell laptop, I can "push" in a eject tab that mechanically pushes OUT the PCMCIA. Now I can do this "hotswappable" OR use the Dell proprietory HARDWARE removal/replace s/w that sits on my Quick Start bar - you have this?

I'm now thinking that somewhere along the road you have unlpugged without using the re,move option. Now this MIGHT have screwed around with the HO Swap options - I've had this - and the card is presently NOT recognised.

PLUS, I now understand you have been connecting to a UNIveristy network? Have you been using the same PCMCIA slot with or without using a further NETWORK PCMCIA card?

Lots more here to easily checkout.

I'm trying . .. HAH!

Grazie
i very much appreciate all your help.

when i said that the cable plugs into the card, i meant that it plugs into the adapter. this 'firewire notebook adapter' is what pops out when i push the eject tab. is this what you mean when you're talking about ejecting and reseating a 'card'? i've tried ejecting and resetting the adapter several times, and i've tried all three ports.

i connect to the university network thru a wireless card that is, as i understand it, inside the laptop...that is, i don't have to put a wireless card into that slot as i've seen others do. under 'network adapters' in my device manager the following are listed...
1394 net adapter
broadcom 570x gigabit integrated controller
dell wireless wlan 1450 dual band wlan mini-pci card

any of that helpful? thanks again for your help...
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

and when i plug/unplug the firewire notebook adapter, the laptop makes the noise that tells you that it is acknowledging the adapter. it does not make any noise when the cable attached to the gl2 is plugged into the adapter.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #20
Old Boot

Well, got me beat! Other than the PCMCIA card is fried or damaged. - G
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #21
New Boot

funny solution

I had and still have a problem that my camera is not either recognized or sometimes is, but the transfer is not working with my notebook.
THis happens only if the notebook is on power.

The workaround is that everything is working when the notebook is not connected to power and is running from battery.

Why don't you try that?

Sasha
Sasha Stojkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #22
Old Boot

Oh yes Sasha! - I had this with my Dell Inspiron. BUT the other way around.

.. meaning .. . Dell have this Power Management option. Their "Only Mains" for the mains power still made a call out to the software to CHECK that it was in fact running from the mains. This in turn would create a stumbling of the f/w .. enough to make a break in the flow of DV. soo.... afer reading some others experiences and the effect of the "ALWAYS ON" setting for Dells power management, I set this to ALWAYS ON for the Mains Setting , . . and from that point no problem! NOW you, Sasha, forcing battery only is in a sense - I think - is doing the same - BUT for battery!

Hate IT!

Grazie
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #23
Major Player

Try downloading drivers for the PCMCIA card if possible. Just a thought. Also if the card came with an installer CD you may want to reinstall software.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #24
Regular Crew

i tried to reinstall the firewire notebook adapter, and i got this message...

DV driver detection is finished. There isn't any installed DV driver detected on your system.

sorry for the stupid question, but how do i download drivers for the PCMCIA card? thanks...
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #25
Major Player

If there are downloadable drivers for such a card you should go to the card manufacturer's website and download from there.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #26
Major Player

Also if you have a VAIO your i-LINK is enabled in Vaio Control Center/Power Options Properties/Vaio Power Management/Other Devices/i-Link Port.

Other laptops may have a similar Control or power management center. You should investigate this possibility.

Oops, guess you would not need a PC card if you had i-Link though. Actually I would need more specs on your system and card.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #27
Regular Crew

i have a dell 600m running on xp.

i have connected the gl2 into the belkin firewire notebook adapter, which slides into the slot on the side of the laptop.

what else do you need to know?
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #28
Major Player

From what I am getting from this link you need an install CD:

http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...2&lang=1&mode=

Unfortunately I could not find a link for the cards downloadable drivers, although you can download a user manual if needed.

Do you have the install CD, and if not, where did you get the card?
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #29
Major Player

Also even if you used an install CD you must be sure the laptop is looking for the drive the CD is located on. Make sure it is not just looking on the "C" drive, otherwise it will say it did not find the DV driver.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #30
Regular Crew

i do have the installation CD. when i try to install it, it gives me a message that the driver cannot be detected. i got the message that i mentioned above, and now i've gotten this one while trying to install...

DV driver detection is finished. There isn't any installed DV driver detected on your system.
Adam Buckley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders