DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sending GL2 to factory - better than private dealers? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/42120-sending-gl2-factory-better-than-private-dealers.html)

Guest March 31st, 2005 07:37 AM

Sending GL2 to factory - better than private dealers?

Hello,

I have been getting pretty consistent "Heads Dirty" warnings on my GL2, which is now 3 years old and serviced only once a couple years ago. I figure it is time to send it in to have the heads professionally cleaned to avoid any fatal damage in the future.
My question is, is it best to send my camera to Canon and have them do it or is it better to take it to an authorized place and have them clean it?

My camera is no longer under warranty so obviously the cheaper choice is nice but in the end all I care about is getting my camera cleaned right.
Thanks,

JR

Rob Lohman April 3rd, 2005 05:53 AM

Definitely send it in to Canon. They are equipped with everything
and do these things all the time. I would not trust that much
money to some other shop.

Tague Hurley June 30th, 2005 10:49 AM

If you search for service centers on the Canon website they locate the closest center to where I live. Is this what you refer to as sending the camera into Canon? I mean are these centers technically Canon centers or just affiliates? I'd much rather take my camera in to a shop in person to avoid the headache of shipping and extra waiting. Has anybody else had their camera serviced at one of these service centers? The one closest to me is in Irvine, CA.

cheers

Chris Hurd June 30th, 2005 11:41 AM

There are only two locations in the United States that are authorized to clean and repair Canon camcorders, and these are the Canon Factory Service centers in Irvine, CA and Jamesburg, NJ.

Mike Donley June 30th, 2005 03:49 PM

I sent cameras to Canon

Tauge
I have sent GL1's to the service center in New Jersey numerous times over the last 4 years. Sometimes it was for repairs. And other times just for cleaning and alignment. They have one of my GL1's right now.

Expect this kind of routine:
Send in your camera. Do send a sample tape showing the problem if applicable. Do include a letter describing the problem. Don't send the accessories, e.g. the lens hood. Upon receipt, Canon will tag your camera and list exactly what you sent, including the box if you send your camera in the original box.

Next, Canon will examine your camera and prepare an estimate. The estimate will be mailed to you. Better yet, include your email address in your letter and they will email the esitmate to you. You must approve the estimate before repairs will begin. You can approve the estimate by calling their cusomter service number, the service center number on the estimate, or by replying to the email. You will need to provide a credit card for payment. I used to include the credit card number in the letter enclosed with the camera. And they used to accept it. But, recently they stopped accepting payment via correspondence included with the camera.

Upon receipt of your payment, work will commence. Usually, the customer service rep will tell you about how long it will take to finish the repair. It depends on their current workload. I was just told that my GL1 will require 3 to 5 days. Of course, that does not include weekends or the July 4 holiday. Canon return ships via Fed Ex with instructions that signature is required. Therefore, Fed Ex will not leave the package at my door. If not home, I go that evening to pick up my camera. Fed Ex is usually open until 8 p.m.

Hope these details help. I am hoping my GL1 will arrive in time for a wedding on July 9. So far, so good!

Tague Hurley July 2nd, 2005 02:47 AM

Thanx for the info Mike.

Now since I am conveniently located about 15 minutes from the Irvine location do you think it is possible to take my camera in person to expediate the process? Has anybody done this before in either Irvine or New Jersey?

Rob Lohman July 3rd, 2005 06:16 AM

Yes, that should be possible. However, do phone them in advance to ask
and confirm this. Good luck!

Jim OMalley July 3rd, 2005 01:09 PM

Just FYI -- I live about 45 minutes from the NJ facility. Last year I took my GL2 to them as a "walk-in" -- no advance phone appointment. They had a service desk there, and I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. The camera was Fed Ex-ed back to me a few days later.