how is this (gl2) in low light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 31st, 2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how is this (gl2) in low light?

In some reviews people praise how well it performs while other say its pretty horrible, i am thinking of buying this camera. I am going to film college in the fall so i want a nice camera.
Max Sitnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Search results in this forum on "low light": http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.ph...der=descending

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:28 PM   #3
New Boot

We recently had a black out for 5 hours at my house. I shot 40 minutes of footage using only a flash light and a couple of candles. Now, it didn't turn out perfect, but I was impressed.

Perhaps the reason my example is so stupid is that if you are going to be shooting narratives, you won't have to worry about lighting (since you will have control). Now for documentaries, that's a different story, since you don't know what the conditions will be.

Ultimatley, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between different camera's low light abilities that I've ever seen. You're always going to be annoyed with low light.
Mark OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh, well I currently have a canon optura xi and want to upgrade to have full manual control (gain and other things) low light isnt crucial however the low light in my optura xi just isnt doing it for me, so does this camera have a clearly better low light?
Max Sitnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Search results in this forum on "low light": http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.ph...der=descending

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark OBrien :
Ultimatley, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between different camera's low light abilities that I've ever seen. -->>>

I disagree strongly. This test for example shows a huge difference:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC1000-Camcorder-Review.htm

Open the same page in two browser windows and scroll to the last test in one page and the first test in the other. The GL2 at 15 lux is still arguably superior to the other two cams at 3,000 lux!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders