DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   12-bit or 16-bit sound? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/42588-12-bit-16-bit-sound.html)

Torsten Blomfeldt September 23rd, 2003 10:34 AM

16 or 12 bit?

I have Canon XM-2 since a week back, but not yet Vegas 4.0.

I have a question of audio.

If I use 16-bit (page 54) is it then impossible to afterwards insert other audio in my film? For instance, if I do an interview in 16-bit can I then, when editing, insert even backgrounds music to the tape?

Can somebody explain this 16-bit and 12-bit little more than in the manual?

Marco Leavitt September 23rd, 2003 10:50 AM

Assuming Vegas is like FinalCut, you would use a separate program to resample all new audio (audio you didn't get on tape) and convert it to a single standard. In my case, it's an 48Khz, 16 bit AIFF file, if I remember right.

I’ve always understood bits to refer to the amount of information that’s captured with each sample. To make a digital recording of an analog sound, there is the sample rate (number of times per second that a digital snapshot of the sound is created) and the amount of information captured in that instant. That’s a real dumbed down explanation, but the best I can do. Maybe some of the more scientific people here can do a better job of it.

Ken Tanaka September 23rd, 2003 11:43 AM

Hello Torsten
For the best little book on audio for digital video production see Jay Rose's "Audio Postproduction for Digital Video". It will tell you everything you need to know...and far more. After the first 3-4 chapters you'll be able to bore anyone at a dinner!

You can layer-in any number of channels of audio (or whatever Vegas allows) during your editing work. If you then print your finished product to tape you would then just mix it down.

Graham Bernard September 23rd, 2003 11:47 AM

Vegas Here!

I use 16 bit from my XM2 to Vegas. It edits using this format, runs at 48,000Hz full stereo. I do Stereo recordings and use interviews on channel 1 and/or 2. I've had no problems. Vegas4 and the XM2, IMHO, is a killer combo.

I'm happy,

Grazie

Nathan Gifford September 23rd, 2003 07:01 PM

On the GL-2 unless you really want 4-track it probably is not all that useful to record 12 bit. One the XL-1 using 12 bit allows you to record on all 4-tracks simultaneously.

Jan van den Hemel April 7th, 2005 11:48 AM

12-bit or 16-bit sound?

about the 12-bit or 16-bit sound setting in the GL1 menu - I imagine 16-bit sounding better, but what's the catch?

R Geoff Baker April 7th, 2005 12:20 PM

12 bit allows for 4 channels of recording on tape -- only useful to some, and only useful if your hardware offers a way to do it, which I don't believe yours does.

Stay with 16 bit.

GB

Jan van den Hemel April 7th, 2005 12:35 PM

Ah, ok.

What kind of hardware do you mean?

R Geoff Baker April 7th, 2005 03:21 PM

The Canon XL1, for example, has an add-on device that allows you to attach four microphones at once.

GB

Jan van den Hemel April 7th, 2005 04:26 PM

I assume that's pretty cool, for real-time surround sound recording purposes or something futuristic like that.

Why does the XM1/GL1 not have this add-on when it does allow for 12-bit sound recording?

Brandon Greenlee April 7th, 2005 04:37 PM

All camcorders have the option to select between the two.

The manufacturers seem to believe that you might want to overdub your original recordings on the tape with narrations or sound effects. Also you might print back to tape after doing a 4 track edit in certain setups.

Jan van den Hemel April 7th, 2005 04:42 PM

I see. In that case, I'll stick to 16-bit sound.

Thanks!

Don Palomaki April 9th, 2005 04:09 AM

4-channel recording (qvailable on the XL1/2) is handy for some events. An example is to use the on camera mic for stero ambient sound, and to have wireless mics on the groom and on the officiant and/or at the podium for readers at the ceremony. This shold give clean audio for all spopken parts.

Graham Bernard June 6th, 2005 12:31 AM

12 bit Audio? . .Do I get extra channels?

Yeah, full of questions today.

1/- How do I set this up and then Capture to NLE?

2/- What would I use this for? It appears from the User Manual that I get 2 x 2 channels of stereo? This a good thing?

TIA,

Grazie

Graham Bernard June 7th, 2005 03:46 PM

Nope? No takers? No one understand? :-(

Grazie