why won't Beachtek DXA-4 work on a gl2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 10th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #1
Major Player

why won't Beachtek DXA-4 work on a gl2?

Hey guys I'm getting into advanced audio on my gl2 and I know most people suggest using the Beachtek DXA-4P for the GL2. i've been shopping around a lot and i've found the Beachtek DXA-4 for $70 which is an amazing price. the catch is that they say the DXA-4 works for the (Sony DCR-VX1000, VX2000 and VX2100 camcorders) while the DXA-4P works for all camcorders including the gl2 etc. my question is why won't the DXA-4 work on the gl2? what's to stop the DXA-4 from working on my gl2, i just don't understand the difference between the two.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have a DXA-4, and was just looking at the Beachtek website to try and determine the difference. I think the controls, connectors, etc are all identical. However it appears that the tripod mount screw if placed further to the front on my DXA-4 than on the DXA-4p.

I'm not all that familiar with the GL-2, but I suspect that the DXA-4 would work fine on your camera, but it would stick out past the back by an inch or so...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #3
Tourist

Check and see if the Sony camcorder mike input jacks have DC voltage on them for powering electret elements in external mikes. I don't think the Canon has DC on the mike jack. This may explain the difference between the Beachtek "adapters--one might be set up to operate with a DC voltage applied "backwards" to the mike plug cable (Sony), and one where no DC is present (Canon).

BTW, I use a Beachtek DXA-2S with my new GL-2 and it works great. Two configurations are in use: 1) using external XLR hypercardioid dynamic mikes plugged directly into the 2S set to MIKE input levels, no preamps, and controlling record levels with the 2S R/L channel gain pots and the Canon GL-2 audio input adjustments, and 2) using the same mikes, plus studio omni and shotgun panned to center with a mix down to R and L channels via a 6 chan Wharfedale mixer in studio. with the DXA-2S set to LINE input. Plenty of audio drive available with either setup. Hope this helps. Dan
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #4
Trustee

In the reverse mode, I have now fitted my DXA-4P which I used to use with my XM2 to my Sony FX1 with no problems whatsoever.
I thought that the difference between the BeachTek boxes might have been in the earthing for the different cameras, but I've not noticed any hum or other interference.
I use the XLR box in conjuntion with the AT897 mic.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #5
Wrangler

There is one radical way in which you could determine the difference between the DXA-4 and DXA-4P.... call Beachtek and ask them! :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:38 PM   #6
New Boot

DXA-4s

Ok, I ordered a DXA-4s and a Sony dcr-2100 at the same time. The sony would not come through so I changed my order to a GL2 and now I 'm stuck with the DXA-4s because I ordered them form separate dealers.

EVS in California would not exchange my beachtek audio box because I did not buy my camera through them, what a bummer, it's still in the box.

The only difference is the mounting points on the audio breakout boxes, they work exactly the same, and I am using the DXA-4s with my GL2 and it works fine, it even balances a little better since the battery is in the rear of the camera and the beachtek is slightly in the front of the camera due to the mounting point.
Ted Kazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kazear
Ok, I ordered a DXA-4s and a Sony dcr-2100 at the same time. The sony would not come through so I changed my order to a GL2 and now I 'm stuck with the DXA-4s because I ordered them form separate dealers.

EVS in California would not exchange my beachtek audio box because I did not buy my camera through them, what a bummer, it's still in the box.

The only difference is the mounting points on the audio breakout boxes, they work exactly the same, and I am using the DXA-4s with my GL2 and it works fine, it even balances a little better since the battery is in the rear of the camera and the beachtek is slightly in the front of the camera due to the mounting point.
Hi Ted, did you mean we wouldn't exchange the Beachtek because you didn't buy the Beachtek from us, or the camera? The fact that you didn't buy the camera here should have no bearing on whether or not we exchange the DXA4, if you actually bought that product here. I just wanted to clarify that, and make sure to help you out in case there was any misunderstanding.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #8
New Boot

Have sony need Gl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hamden
Hi Ted, did you mean we wouldn't exchange the Beachtek because you didn't buy the Beachtek from us, or the camera? The fact that you didn't buy the camera here should have no bearing on whether or not we exchange the DXA4, if you actually bought that product here. I just wanted to clarify that, and make sure to help you out in case there was any misunderstanding.

I spoke with evs, and they are willing to help me get the pruducts I need.

My advice to future video enthusiasts is to have a camera in hand before purchasing accessories. In my case the opposite happened. Learning from mistakes is a natural healthy process of life..hehe.

Thank-you Mr. Hamden

Last edited by Ted Kazear; April 26th, 2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: ps
Ted Kazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Ted, it's my pleasure, that's what forums are for. Just for everyone's reference, here is what we agreed to do:

I checked that Invoice and it was made on Feb. 8, which is almost three months ago. Thus, we couldn't take the product back and resell it as new, because it would not be fair to the next person who buys it, expecting to get a brand new factory fresh unit. What I did, is charge a restocking fee, so that I can give the next buyer a discount, and sell it as a "used" item.

Ted was happy with the result because he got a credit towards his next purchase, didn't have to fuss with ebay, and didn't have to get stuck with a product he can't use. Thanks to Dvinfo for giving folks a means of communicating with their dealer when they otherwise may not ask.

I would also like to extend an invitation to all DvInfo EVS customers to feel free to contact me as the Sales Manager at EVS, in any such cases, and we should hopefully always come to a conclusion making everyone satisfied.

On a side note, God Bless you Ted, thank you for all your sacrifices you have taken on for our country, and from all of us at EVS, good luck in all your business endeavours!

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Tourist

where to get the Btec for $70.00

Hi I have just found this site as I was searching for info on the Btec, would u care to share where u found the Btec for such a great price.
Thanks Pat
Pat Furphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders