GL2 Remove Cassette Error Fix - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #151
Regular Crew

Me too!

I got the remove cassette error as well, I could still record, but rewinding was a no go, and it would munch tapes. So I sent it off to Canon, and they also fixed it for a courtesy rate of $62, since it was out of warranty. They know they have an issue here, and at least they are not being pricks and charging hundreds like some people have said, but I agree the camera should be more reliable.

My camera has low hours on the heads, but I did leave a tape inserted in it when going from Hawaii to chicago, and thats when the issues began.
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #152
Old Boot

I've told my experience before, but I think it is worth repeating again, following your experience of the level of Canon awareness to this matter.

I took my XM2 into the Canon Garage with literally days left on a 1 year's warranty. Reason? It had a dead CCD Pixel. I was told that I had more than one too! However, in the "report" I got back was that not ONLY had they replace the BLOCK they also replaced the TRANSPORT mechanism too! Of course as per the warranty this was done for free, so no complaints from me, but it did make me aware that they ARE "aware" of such mechanical problems. Oh yes, at THAT point I had no issue with the mechanism. Camera had never displayed this or any other error.

I guess we aint gonna get a "hands-up" statement - but then again, actions speak louder than words. And maybe, just maybe me writing this here kinda vindicates Canon's approach in customer service - see? There are many MANY ways to skin this particular feline. What I will say is that I think I hold the record in Canon turn-around: How about 72 hours? Nope! 48 hours? Wrong too! If I had got my own arrangements together in time, I could have got it back within 24 hours of me dropping it off at the Garage! 24hours! Now this DID impress me!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #153
Regular Crew

If this is such a prevalent problem why not just use an inexpensive ($20) external tape rewinder? Seems logical if this is always going to be a potential problem for this camera.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #154
Regular Crew

Like i posted way back i could not rewind. i then took it into my bedroom where it was warm and waited ten minutes and it rewinded 5 tapes fine. the full lenth of them. if you get this error just check is the room cooled or warm. i get this error all the time if it is my study where it is quite cold. this error means that condensation has been deteced. i checked my other camcorder and it said condensation has been deteced so at that point i stopped worring.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:01 AM   #155
Major Player

same

ive got the same problem its been doing it for like 6 months, my gl2 is like 2 years old. i doubt it will be cheap
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:33 AM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel McInnes
Like i posted way back i could not rewind. i then took it into my bedroom where it was warm and waited ten minutes and it rewinded 5 tapes fine. the full lenth of them. if you get this error just check is the room cooled or warm. i get this error all the time if it is my study where it is quite cold. this error means that condensation has been deteced. i checked my other camcorder and it said condensation has been deteced so at that point i stopped worring.
I really dont think we sould be sharing how we can mover around this problem and get Canon to actually fix it.

But in the interests of the now rather than the later, I have an old Mini Dv cam and I use that to ALL the rewinding, ALL the playback and importing. Its also a canon with 3 years warranty, (In its final year) and its built like a brick, as should all prehistoric camcorders should be. My family uses it for hols, and I use it to keep my XM2 in pristine shape.

I'm sorry to heara bout this problem, I never heard of it until I read aobut it. I will think twice when I do early morning shoots.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:55 AM   #157
Regular Crew

3 times

Sometimes the remove cassette error message is a result of condensation, but for people like me, the message comes up so often that you can't even insert a tape...even when there is no condensation. I have two GL2s that I have been using for about 2.5 years and between the two of them, this is the third time I have to send a GL2 in to get fixed. It's not under warranty anymore so I've been putting it off, but it ate a tape recently so its time to get it fixed again. The first time it was under warranty but the second time they charged me 280 dollars to clean the head or whatever they do. It also took over a month...I think it was more like 2 months for them to get it back to me.
Jim Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:59 AM   #158
Major Player

G'day Jim,

You should have bashed Canon over the head the second time...

If you wrote a letter of complaint outlining the problems experienced, they would take it seriously. If you still get no reasonable response, raise the bar and send the letter again to the head of canon of your country and claim never to shop canon again.

This had worked here in OZ when a Sony Model DVD player had contious faults. Our tabloid News program did a show suggesting that over 20 letters (20 diff people) were sent, none recived a response, then the same 20 letters of complaint reached the eyes of the Australian CEO of Sony and something big was done.

The power of people and polite, civilised complaints.

The only reason Canon has done nothing is because we havent done anything to bring this up with Canon. However, I've never had any problems with my XM2....
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #159
Regular Crew

I own a GL2 and haven't yet had this problem. But I am very disappointed in how Canon is handling this problem. I also own a Nikon DSLR and I have been favorably impressed with how Nikon steps up to the plate to correct any problems that show up in their product line. If this is representative of how Canon handles design flaws I will be very hesitant to buy another Canon camera.
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #160
Major Player

remove tape err...

I don't think this is a problem specifically for the xm2/gl2.
I've seen the same problem on a VX2100 (instead of "remove..." the sony displays a "error xxxxx" message).

Have you read this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=42822&page=3 ? (I mean my post...)
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #161
Major Player

no err so far

just thought to give you all an update: my XM2 is still ok. No error so far! :)
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:53 PM   #162
New Boot

mine as well

yes i have the gl2 and noticed right about at the 2 year mark id get the remove error, got an estimate but never got it fixed because i was upset it did this without any form of weat/tear, this thing is kept always in this same room and only records/reads a tape every month..it disturbed me and remains this way for over a year now
Gary Greenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #163
Regular Crew

ive been reading and i also poped into my local jessops store and they sometimes they have people comeing in saying they have this problem with xm2. what i found is that it comes up with people who use JVC tapes. is this what people find?
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #164
Major Player

Today evening i filmed my 3 weeks old daughter.
Meanwhile i had this topic message two times.

I always use tdk cassette, and it was in normal condition.
Also in the room was warm enough, so no condensation.
8-10 months ago i have sometimes the "use cleaning cassette" messages, but i use several times this cleaning cassette and since then i dont see the message again.
My question is: do i need to take my XM2 to the service?
Shortly begins the wedding season, i make 8 wedding sure.

thx
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #165
Tourist

As others more informed have stated, this "remove the cassette" error message is a general error which points to a fault detected by the tape transport mechanism. This can be caused by condensation or the tape pack being wound too tightly within the cassette shell. It can also be caused by a broken reel table brake release claw, broken drive gear, bad capstan motor, or an electrical failure of the reel table tach sensor.

Most often, though, it is caused by worn out FELT! To reduce the cost of the drive mechanism, felt has been used for years to apply a balancing torque opposite to the driven tape direction. This is common in audio cassette mechanisms as well as DAT drives. Only very expensive tape transports employ servo driven reel tables to maintain constant tape tension! When the felt disk wears down, the hold-back tape tension is reduced, which results in reduced reel torque. Eventually, the reel tables cannot effectively overcome the drag inherent in the cassette shell, which causes tape slack. This is detected by the electronic sensor mounted underneath the reel table (often a hall-effect transistor) as a failure of the reel table to complete the correct number of rotations within a certain period of time. To prevent damage to the tape and/or mechanism, further operation of the transport is prevented, and the operator receives the dreaded "remove the cassette" message.

There are several felt-torque assemblies used in these transports, including the 2 reel tables, and the so-called "goosneck" gear which is used to switch the reel table rotational direction. Contamination of any of these assemblies through dirt, wear, oil, or other liquids will effectively destroy them.

Of course, any other mechanical fault which causes the loading mechanism to not complete the operation within a certain time will also give the same result.

This is a general fault common to many other makes and models...
Jeff Wootton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders