GL2 Remove Cassette Error Fix - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #196
Major Player

If I buy a GL2 new now should I worry about that cassette problem? It sounds like the ones having problems bought theres a while ago. If I use the same brand of tape as long as I have the camera should I really be worried? From what ive heard and seen it seems like the people who have this problem are a very small %age of those who own the camera. I guess ill have to hope im not in that %.

-Kyle
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #197
New Boot

Buy the extended warranty with GL2

hey Kyle,
I just bought mine and because of all the cassette threads I've decided to pay $ 150.00 extra to have a five year warranty... Just in case.
I have a XL1-S that had the tape eject issue. The camera also was eating tape! I sent it to be repaired and payed around $ 250.00. Now, so far I haven't had any issue with my brand new GL2.
Rey Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #198
Regular Crew

Not just Canon

I have just paid HK$1200 to have the tape transport and zoom rocker repaired. Some parts have been replaced. It appeared to my XM1 after 4 years of use. They are like new. I knew many owners (Pana and Sony also, not just Canon) have experienced this problem. To prevent this, avoid rewind and fast forward tapes in your GL or XM. Do that in another cheap DV.
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #199
Regular Crew

Avoid video and switch to photo ?

When there is tape or other problem to his camcorder, one would think of taking still photo instead.

I recorded the growth of my 2 daughters by both video and photo and family activities. Digital photo is great but there are something that cannot be best explained / recorded in still photos like the first walking of my baby daughter, her adventures in fun park, talkings during family trips and the birthday singings.

Camcorders are complicated machines and regular maintenance will make it work for years. I guess even the DVD and HD camcorders may still have their own problems.

As problems (tape error and zoom rocker) to my XM1 only occurs after 4 years of use, I believe, after advice from friends from this web site, it can last for 10+ years.

Kenneth
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #200
Regular Crew

I am upset. I have read this exact thread before and thought well so far so good for I guess I just got a good one. Well today I will have to retract that statement.

I wanted to rewind a tape that I had and it said eject. It does it on every tap I put in. It also seems to hesitate when I open it and it is suppose to eject.

I called Cannon and pitched a fit. This is the only camera I own and I have a lot of work coming up. I can see a camera needing maintenance every once in a while like lens cleaning, etc but this seems to be a known issue with Cannon. It's all over this forum as well as others. I don't feel that I should be out of pocket for something like this. I have already called up and had my call escillated to the highest. I am suppose to get a call back Monday. Will see if that happens. Maybe if I came up there with all the other members on here with the same problem we could get this fixed :)

Anyway looks like I might have to send it in and pay some bucks but for now I am going to see what they offer me.
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #201
Regular Crew

I don't think I will every purchase another Canon Video Camera. I was very upset that I was going to be out of pocket to fix my camera. I talked to the customer relations department about the remove cassette error and you know what he told me.

That is the first I have heard of the GL2 with that issue. Give me a break is what I said. It's under FAQ on there website. Sounds to me like it is a pretty big issue if it is on there FAQ. He said that he knows that other cameras have had issues but not this one. So, no matter what I will be having to pay to have it fixed.

Is there an extended warranty that can be purchased? Does anyone know? I know they don't offer one.
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #202
Tourist

canon fixed mine

I had same prob, and overnighted my cam to canon.

here's what they did:
replaced idler gear ass'y, drive gear ass'y, slide chassis ass'y and AV Jack. Cleand head and tape path.

got it back within a week.

until I sent it, I used a pain in the ass workaround -- pop out the battery while it's still on, and pop in back in.

did not encounter this problem for years of owning my gl2. four years maybe problem free?

now my zoom is frozen, oy. anyone know an easy way to fix that? hate to have to send it out again.
Celia Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #203
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Hilton
. . now my zoom is frozen, oy. anyone know an easy way to fix that? hate to have to send it out again.

Which Zoom? Grip/Cassette Door or Handle? - Have you got a LANC to test it?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #204
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Hilton
I had same prob, and overnighted my cam to canon.

here's what they did:
replaced idler gear ass'y, drive gear ass'y, slide chassis ass'y and AV Jack. Cleand head and tape path.

got it back within a week.

until I sent it, I used a pain in the ass workaround -- pop out the battery while it's still on, and pop in back in.

did not encounter this problem for years of owning my gl2. four years maybe problem free?

now my zoom is frozen, oy. anyone know an easy way to fix that? hate to have to send it out again.
Oh this is stuff that I don't want to hear. Did you happen to ask them if this is common on the GL2 cause they told me they had never heard of it. I only use one camera and that is one GL2. I don't know how I can trust this camera now. I am worried I am going to be out shooting somewhere and the next thing you know I will be screwed. I am looking at getting a second camera however I don't think it will be a Cannon due to some of the reliablitiy of them.
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #205
Old Boot

Jason, I've had my XM2s now for over 4 years - one at 4 years and one at 3 years. Used on Weddings, corporate work, countless out and about shooting, reviews, Christmas's, birthdays & bar mitzvahs. I've had 'em on building sites, dusty and noisy, in rocking and rolling cars and vans, street processions of 50,000 people, at rock/bangra concerts, . . . yeah? I CAN'T get enough of what they produce. Behind me I must have at least 400 60miniDV Sony tapes. That'll give you some idea of my usage.

Repair history:

Camera 1:

a) Erratic Pixel striation 4 weeks before the ed of manufacturer warranty. Free Repair.

b) Zoom "Madness" and only now, 2 years further in had I bothered to have it fixed - had the back up, see? Repaired as part of my insurance cover.

Camera 2:

a) CCCD Block White Pixel. Again Canon repaired this under their 1 year warranty and while they were about it, they ALSO did the transport stuff too.

Morals of story?

#1 If you ARE doing anything near pro work, commissions from clients, you SHOULD have a backup camera anyway.

#2 The cost of these cameras is negligibly compered to the ROI it brings.

#3 Canon's treatment of me has been nothing but fast, considerate and thorough.

#4 The trouble is, this freaking camera gives outrageously excellent video!! Now that I have converted nearly 100% to using the 16:9 mode, and seeing the end result on screen, I'm finding it really hard to step up to anything that aint HDV! And that is a real - £££ - problem!!!

Look, if you are that worried then get a backup. If you aren't, then when things go wrong AND it isn't a matter of life and death get it into the Canon Garage. The XM2 IS a cheaply priced camera and NO amount of convincing by me or yourself that the experience should not be what you are getting. I agree . .. but sometimes ? Yeah . .. ?

I'll tell you what though, I was only TOO glad that when I started out on this craft there WAS a camera that was going to stretch me, provide me with enough challenges to conquer and experiment, AND have enough budget head room left to buy the extra stuff I have.

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #206
Regular Crew

Well with that said it does make me feel better. As you mentioned I do need a second camera. I don't do a lot of work as it is only my second line of work so I have never invested the money in a new camera. I like canon and the quality as you mentioned seems to be great. I am also looking at getting into HD. Anyway I was upset that Cannon told me it was the first they had heard of the Canon GL2 model having this issue. I just felt like I was being fed BS. I will say that the last time my camera was in there under warrant they repaired everything and it was like new when I got it back and it took almost no time at a all. So, I would have to say there customer service is great.
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Update: I was given a quote of $240 then an adjustment of $190 bucks. I am not sure why the adjustment but really appreciate that. My cost is now 64 bucks including overnight shipping. Way to go Cannon they have satisfied me.
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #208
New Boot

remove cassette message

I was one of the people successful in using the cleaning technique. I didn't have any suitable "spirits" handy, tried 60% rubbing alcohol, didn't work. I tried some lens cleaner, nothing more than alcohol, didn't help. I used some electronic "contact" cleaner, trichloroethane, it worked. Every few months while using the camera, I get the error. a drop of two or trichloro, bingo, works for months again. I'm about to leave for Cozumel Mexico to do some U/W photography, so far the camera still works ok. I might try to find a way to take a small vial of trichloro with me on the plane in my luggage just in case. If you want to try some other solvent, you have to make sure it will not affect the plastic parts.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hiebert
Has anyone else tried Cosmin's solution with the alcohol and clutch? It seems to have worked for him and some others. I have a GL2 arriving any day. Trying to head off problems before they arise.
James Holtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #209
Major Player

I recently had my GL-2 fixed, out-of-warranty, by Canon with a final cost also of $ 65. The turn-around was less than a week - same repair as described above.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #210
Tourist

me too

Well I think I beat all of you - I hadn't used the camera for a total of 15 minutes when I got my first "remove cassette error" . I hadn't had time to read the manual yet so I assumed it was something I was doing. To make a long story short I had the camera about 2 weeks and it was NEVER reliable. I could never tell if would work or not. I have subsequently sent it back to Amazon and I'm waiting for a refund so I can order a different camera. I think we're going with the panasonic AG DVC30. We were really disappointed. This was a purchase by our church and we really wanted to be ready to use this camera for our Christmas Eve Service...we may still have a new one on time but hardly time to learn now to use it ...or to make the videos I had planned as backgrounds. I will never consider another canon videocamera although I love my little canon digital still camera. I am so glad I found this forum. You guys helped me alot.
Marie
Marie Haggarty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders