DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   soft case GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/4351-soft-case-gl2.html)

Hans Kuipers October 15th, 2002 10:07 AM

soft case GL2

I am looking for a soft case for the Canon GL2. It should be compact but give enough protection and have some space for an extra battery, tape etc.

Alexander McLeod October 15th, 2002 10:13 AM

I have a Kata CCC-102 from Zotz. So far, so good.
Sandy

Tom Hill October 15th, 2002 11:57 AM

I'm looking for a backpack

I've been looking for a not-too-large backpack that will carry a GL2 and possibly a 35mm SLR with a medium zoom lens attached.

So far, no luck.

Hans Kuipers October 15th, 2002 03:57 PM

to Alexander McLeod

I looked at the Kata CCC-102 soft case. To me it looked very big to carry around. Is the Kata ccc-101 not a more convient case to carry the GL2 around??????

Tom Hill October 15th, 2002 05:16 PM

The Kata CC-101 is perfectly sized for the GL2 and is the largest case I'd care to carry around all day.

Bill Hardy October 15th, 2002 05:21 PM

Because I prefer to carry my GL2 incognito I stuff it in what looks like a men's oblong rectangular vinyl black shaving kit bag. The large 941 battery is attached to the cam before I take it anywhere and the wide angle adapter and a couple of DV tapes and smaller batteries will fit snugly in the bag. My GL1 is toted in one of those blue insulated lunch thingys from Kmart/Target department stores. None of my cams have ever been stolen because no one has a clue whats in the bag, unless they assume it is lunch. Water protection as well as protection from heat and cold is also a big plus with the boxy insulated (cloth/foam rubber?) lunch carrier. I can take my GL2 anywhere and feel confident it won't sprout legs and dissappear. Both bags have shoulder straps so dropping either bag is out of the question and the bag itself is tucked under the arm to protect against banging other objects. I do not encourage anyone to do what I do, but I have good cam bags and only use them occasionally. They are not as air tight.

The GL2 is at least 1/2" longer than the GL1 so it will not fit well in the blue lunch box. Darn...

Michael A. Davis October 15th, 2002 05:42 PM

I just ordered the Lowepro Vidcam 6 today. I decided on the 6 over the 5 because I prefer to keep my WA adapter on at all times. With the WA's hood and the large eyepiece, the cam measure 15 inches. The Vidcam 5 states up to 13", the Vidcam 6 up to 16", so VOILA!! Cost $48. Tell you how I like it when I get it.
I have been keeping it in a 16" tool bag from Home Depot($39). Padded it with some foam from Joanne Fabrics($4). It is a bit heavy though and if you are just looking for transport from here to there, pretty neat. It has like 8 inside pockets as well. Hopefully the Vidcam 6 will feel a bit smaller.

Michael

Alexander McLeod October 15th, 2002 05:51 PM

Re: to Alexander McLeod

<<<-- Originally posted by Odessadream : I looked at the Kata CCC-102 soft case. To me it looked very big to carry around. Is the Kata ccc-101 not a more convient case to carry the GL2 around?????? -->>>

The CCC-102 is several inches longer than the GL2 but it does allow room for the WD58H and hood, lens filters, spare battery, wireless controler, and the like. After lugging around a large bag for my EOS5 with assorted telephoto lenses, etc this is a piece of cake. The only problem I foresee is when I ski: I will have to transfer some of the gear to a backpack. When I'm sailing I just store the bag in a secure spot below.
Sandy

Hans Kuipers October 17th, 2002 11:16 AM

alternative case ???

what about the Lowepro Vidcam 5???

Alexander McLeod October 18th, 2002 09:47 PM

Re: alternative case ???

<<<-- Originally posted by Odessadream : what about the Lowepro Vidcam 5??? -->>>

I haven't seen the Lowepro in the flesh, so to speak, but I think that would be a very good alternative. I'm new at the serious videocam game so I went with the suggestions of those who are much more experienced than I.
Sandy

Michael A. Davis October 21st, 2002 12:06 PM

Got the Vidcam 6. Way too big. Gigantic.
Returned and got the Vidcam 5. Just right.
With the WA and hood and lrg battery, the camera slides right down nice and easy with a little bit of push on the side walls but certainly nothing to worry about. This bag is just the right size.

Michael

Hans Kuipers October 21st, 2002 12:40 PM

to Michael Davis

thanks for your opinion Michael. I also had the feeling that the no. 6 was a little to big. Glad you confirmed my hunch :-)))

Dirk Goris January 4th, 2003 11:39 AM

Have you bought the vidcam5 already?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dirk

Erwin Kolman January 4th, 2003 01:42 PM

Re: soft case GL2

Yo, i have a Trekking 220 (samsonite)
There is plenty room for xtras

greetz

Zaid_Malaika January 5th, 2003 07:09 PM

I am using the vidcaom 5 with my GL2. It's just perfect. All what it comes with the Gl2 plus the BP-945 battery and still there is more space