no line level input on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 15th, 2002, 12:40 PM   #1
maddog123

no line level input on GL2

I can't believe you guys are not screaming at Canon for not puting a line level input on this 2500 dollar camera! Having to mix at mic level is stupid. I have read 4 reviews of this camera all praising it's virtues for the most part and not one bothered to mention it won't take a standard feed of a mixing board.
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:15 PM   #2
limnz0110

Is that true?

I am going to buy XM2....

For me line input is quit important because I normally do concert video.
There might be a way but I want to hear about it.
Old October 15th, 2002, 03:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Can someone explain to me this line level, mic level stuff. Is it just a voltage thing or what? I'm assuming mic level will be fine for everything in a dramatic movie setting (shotgun to XLR adapter, lavs etc). Also wouldn't most mixing decks have a mic level output? A mixer is one thing I'm thinking of for my movie making so it'd be good to know what it's all about.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 03:46 PM   #4
maddog123

Mic inputs are about 55db below line level inputs. That means if you hook a consumer cd player or equivalent to the gl2 it will overload the input and cause terrible distortion if not damage the circuts.

Yes you can hook any mic directly to the camera, no problem. Yes, you can buy special mixers for video that work at line level, or have an attenuator switch on the output to reduce the voltage back down to mic level befor it goes into the camera. BUT that's just another circut you have to feed your signal through and also the resistance loads must be matched up properly.

All general pro audio mixers have the meters set up to work at line level, so if you turn the mixer down, the meters don't display right.

There are work arounds, but it's just limiting and irritating!
robert
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:48 PM   #5
Wrangler

Price point and the target market are the key. Adding line level would bump up the cost a wee bit. Folks who need the pro audio capability will buy the accessories (Beacktek//Studio One) or a next step up in camcorder.

Consumer line level is typically -10 dBV (about 0.3 volts). PRO audio line level is about +4 dBU, or about 1.22 volts into 600 ohms.

It is relatively easy and distortion free to pad a unbalanced line level output down to the -35 dBV or so needed for the MIC ATT setting.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:46 PM   #6

If you are inputting a line level signal using the included AV cable, you can adjust for a hot line level signal by switching to Manual audio level control and in the VCR Setup Menu, activate the Audio ATT control. This should adjust for a hot line level signal.

Since most board feeds have XLR outputs, you will find it easier to use the MA-300 and take advantage of the MA-300 XLR inputs.

If you are using a BeachTek adaptor, set the BeachTek unit to Line level input.

You really shouldn't have any problem.

I do a large amount of field audio recording and I always carry with me some SHURE mic-line adaptors, as well as some attenuators and phase barrels, regardless of whether I am going to DAT, recording direct to a miniDV camera or any other higher end camera.
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:37 AM   #7
Wrangler

Does the MA-300 support line level input? I know the MA-100 saturates/clips at around -7 dB or so.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

-10 dB, -20 dB or -30 dB attenuation

I have heard exellent things about this unit:

http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/other/access/inline.html#AT8202

You should be able to find it for ~$50.

lyd
Dave Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM   #9

Hello Don (great first name!),

Yes, the MA-300 will accept line level signal as well. As I understand, it works with the "Advanced Accessory Shoe" technology and will "auto-sense" whether you are inputting mic or line level signal.

Canon did a great job in designing a top-mounted XLR transformer-balanced XLR adaptor for the people who wanted the same type of top-mounted XLR inputs that the Sony PD-150 has. However, I was never a big fan of placing heavy XLR connectors on top of the lens and even when I use a PD-150, I prefer to use a bottom-mounted XLR adaptor, which I feel places the weight in a better spot which helps to balance out the camera - underneath.

If you find you have a high end professional +4 or +8 XLR audio output and you want to input that into the XL1S and still be able to maintain a decent level control without any oversaturation or clipping, using a couple of inline XLR attenuators will do the trick. I would suggest to carry a couple of shortie 2' XLR cables to use with these inline attenuator barrels, so that you are not plugging the barrel directly to the XLR outputs of the sound output device or directly into the MA-100. This will prevent any unnecessary strain on the XLR connectors of either unit from having a barrel protruding from it, which is susceptible to people knocking into it, etc.

THE "SWISS ARMY KNIFE" OF AUDIO ADAPTORS:
The Studio 1 Productions "XLR-Pro" (camera mount) or "XLR-BP-PRO" (belt pack style) is a very handy tool to keep in your bag when it comes to field audio recording, will work not only with DV cameras, but also any type of audio recording device that has a 1/8" audio input: (can also use it with any device that has a 1/4" audio input by using a 1/8" female to 1/4" male adaptor cable)

http://studio1productions.com/xlr-bp_pro.htm

Note that this type of unit has not only an individual mic/ line level switch for each input, but also a ground removal switch, a mono/ stereo/ mix output switch, a seperate 1/8" and 1/4" aux input, individually audio level controls, a voltage block circuit and two high-quality shielded transformers. Not only can you use this to input XLR and/ or anything else into your camera and mix them together, you could pretty much also use it as a sort of "direct Interface" box as wll - say you have to take a 1/8" or 1/4" audio feed and send that signal output via balanced XLR over a distance without inducing any EMI or RFI noise, great for people who do live sound recording to MD or DAT, etc.
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders