Smooth Slow motion shots with GL2??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 27th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Smooth Slow motion shots with GL2???

im on a super tight budget, and right now the GL2 seems like the best buy. i was wondering if anyone has experimented with slow mo. i will be filming music videos, and for certain shots i want to slow down the bands performance but i dont want it to be choppy.....not sure if that makes sense, but if you ever seen the following music videos:
Radiohead - Street Spirit
The Stills - Still in Love
Papa Roach - Between Angels and Insects

...thats what im going for. would the GL2 give me that type of performance, or would i have to get a more expensive camera?
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Don't expect the camera to give you slo-mo, it will have to be done at your editing stage.
What software are you going to use to edit your video?

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

im still new, so right now im using....windows movie maker. i know, lame program. but i will be moving up to final cut pro pretty soon.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Movie Maker 2 is a very good little programme - and it's free!!!
It's also got a slow motion effect built in, so I suggest that you play around with it...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Slow motion akin to Street Spirit is impossible to acheive with a Canon GL2 or Even a Canon XL2. Infact, no consumer or Prosumer DV cam can acheive true slow-mo.

we are stuck shooting either 60i, 30p, or 24p... slowmotion requires us to capture at a high frame rate and play back at a normal frame rate. I.E. film at 48 fps and play at 24 fps = things happen twice as slowley as real life.

Street spirit was shot on 35mm film, and the slow motion at speeds between 60fps and 96 fps.

If you take 60i footage (not frame movie mode), and look at it in an NTSC timeline, it is still only 30 frames per second (29.97). DV encoding technology doesn;t allow for more. 60i simply means you have 60 FEILDS per second, or Half Frames.

If you take your 60i and slow it down 50%, you will have viddeo that takes twice as long to play out, but it will be choppy and not look like slow motion. Instead, it will look like video that has been slowed down! maybe because it is! :P

Unfortunatly, unless you are buying a viper cam, or some other comparible high-end/professional/experimental digital camera that records directly onto a hard drive array, the only way to capture true slowmotion is on a variable speed film camera (Bell&Howell makes a small,cheap 16mm cam that can record down to 64fps)
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks a lot! great info there. do you know any places in Toronto that i could rent cameras and other equipment from?
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Give Vistek a try. They are way out on Queen Street East. Just got my XL2 from them. Big rental department.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Trustee

The best way is simply to capture more frames per second, but if you can not do that, the second best way is to use Twixtor
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #9

Dude, slow-mo is EASY. Any simple editing program can do it flawlessly for you. 'Choppiness' is avoided in the shooting stage. You just gotta be smooth wiht the camera. Forget about those 'steady cams'. Pieces of crap as far as I'm concerned. Especially for the money. I use this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=206346&is=REG

With a little work, you'll be taking footage like this:

www.theweddingspotlight.com

Check that stuff out... all my work with a GL2 and the simple Varizoom, with a FCP slow-mo effect. Your windows slow-mo should give you the same result with good camera work.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #10
Major Player

In all honesty, and no offence to what was said above, Slow Mo in post looks fake.

Ify ou have seen "Street Spirit" you will know what I mean. The scene where Tom Yorke is Smashing the glass and it is slowley falling, you cant do that on a mini dv camera. There just isnt enough information in the frames. Glass would fall at a certain velcoity, accelerating at each frame. If the shot is framed 20 feet away, the glass will be on screen for no more than 8 frames.

In the video, the shot lasts 8 seconds.

To derive 8 seconds from 8 frames is going to be super-bad looking, beacuse it is one frame a second as oppsed to 30.

I have done a lot of film slow-mo work and tried it digital. You can slowdown in after fx and premiere, I know this, but it just doesnt look good after 80%
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

so am i better off filming in 35mm?
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
In all honesty, and no offence to what was said above, Slow Mo in post looks fake.

Ify ou have seen "Street Spirit" you will know what I mean. The scene where Tom Yorke is Smashing the glass and it is slowley falling, you cant do that on a mini dv camera. There just isnt enough information in the frames. Glass would fall at a certain velcoity, accelerating at each frame. If the shot is framed 20 feet away, the glass will be on screen for no more than 8 frames.

In the video, the shot lasts 8 seconds.

To derive 8 seconds from 8 frames is going to be super-bad looking, beacuse it is one frame a second as oppsed to 30.

I have done a lot of film slow-mo work and tried it digital. You can slowdown in after fx and premiere, I know this, but it just doesnt look good after 80%
Yes, if you're filming an Indiana Jones movie with lots of glass bouncing off of the sidewalk or you're trying to capture the sweat beads coming off of someone's head after getting sucker-punched, that's the way to go.

Again, if you're just looking for some elegant, simple slow-mo effects from real-time DV footage, look no further than your editing software. Feel free to check out those samples:

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #13
New Boot

Matt is right. I use my GL2 footage to speeds as low as 20% with nice results. Good enough for weddings and small projects.

Ted
Theo Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:37 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buerhaus
Yes, if you're filming an Indiana Jones movie with lots of glass bouncing off of the sidewalk or you're trying to capture the sweat beads coming off of someone's head after getting sucker-punched, that's the way to go.

Again, if you're just looking for some elegant, simple slow-mo effects from real-time DV footage, look no further than your editing software. Feel free to check out those samples:

heh, ive seen the slow shots youve done. im trying to get the smoothest slow mo i can. and the videos ive seen on your site are not that. no offense, your stuff is good. just watch these two videos, or at least the first minute to understand what im trying to achieve here. excellent videos imo.

Radiohead - Street Spirit
http://artists.emidigitalmedia.com/m...spirit_h_f.wvx

Interpol - Slow Hands
http://mfile.akamai.com/14590/rm/ond..._hands_full.rm
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:43 AM   #15
Major Player

Matt, trust me. I know you can do slow mo in FCP, but it is jerky. I have shot three 2 hour features on DV, and 1 on super 16mm. the slow-mo difference is Astounding.

The footage Steve posted looks jerky cause it's super compressed, but if yo uwatch these videos at full res you se ehow good 16mm slow mo is. it's just science... more frames = more information. 60i can only give you 60i of information, no matter how good the interpolation is.

For true slow mo, film is the cheapest way to go.

Don't shoot 35mm, it is a waste of money.

If you really need true slow-mo, shoot a simple 16mm cam, one roll of film (100ft) will cover you about 3 minutes shooting 24fps, 1 minute of superb slowmo.

Click steves first link (street spirit) and watch for 3:48. the glass is a perfect example, you cant do that in dv.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders