DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Analog to GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/44149-analog-gl2.html)

Mike Lundquist May 6th, 2005 11:38 AM

Analog to GL2

Probably an old question...trying to capture analog from VCR to GL2.

On the GL2 screen I am seeing the image from the TV screen and can hear the audio coming thru the camcorder. The camcorder button is switched to Play(VCR) and the Play menu is set to VCR Set Up, AV>DV Out=ON.
I am using RCA cables connecting the VCR (3 cable) to the camcorder (AV terminal).

I can see the image on the camcorder and hear the audio but can't record to the camcorder tape. What do I need to do?

Chris Hurd May 6th, 2005 12:00 PM

Hi Mike,

Is the tape / card slide switch set to tape?

Did you check the GL2 operator's manual on page 101?

Mike Lundquist May 6th, 2005 12:56 PM

Tape/Card is set to Tape. I was using information on p. 96 as my VCR doesn't have S-video as shown on p. 101.

The image and audio comes thru the camcorder fine on any setting on the TV using inputs L1, L2 or channel. Just can't record to tape.

A note. When I switch camcorder to Camera the camcorder screen goes black but I can press the red record button and the tape captures a black screen.

Adam Christopher May 7th, 2005 07:41 AM

There is a menu setting that needs to be set to analog in. Its in the vcr set up menu on-screen but I can't remember where. Maybe you don't have that set to analog?

Harry Doyle May 9th, 2005 11:25 PM

i had to do this last week and needed a refresher from the manual to figure it out.

in the menu enable the av->dv option. this will enable you to see the image from your vcr on your gl2. i don't have my camera here, but there is a record/av insert (i think) button with the handle controls. when you hit that, it will put the camera in record/pause mode. then you just hit the playback button to start recording the signal to your dv tape. i found it a kind of odd procedure.

harry

Mike Lundquist May 10th, 2005 11:55 AM

Thanks, everyone. Was able to capture and complete my project.

Jesse James January 19th, 2008 06:00 PM

I tried to use the AV input to record what an IR camera lens was seeing recently and could not get any image or audio to record. I see from Harry's post about the AV Insert but there is no way to hit playback on this camera lens.

How would you record a what a camera lens is seeing into the GL-2 using the AV input or is it even possible?

Thanks

Harry Doyle January 19th, 2008 06:08 PM

the video signal from the ir camera should show up on the ldc on the gl2. check if the av out on the ir camera is set up correctly. i am not sure if you can tape it (edit: just noticed i posted you could but i haven't done it in forever), but you can also go firewire into the computer from the gl2 and you can view the ir's video right on the computer screen. then you could just capture to the computer directly and not have to tape it to minidv first.
hope this helps
harry

Jesse James January 19th, 2008 07:31 PM

Thanks Harry.

We checked the IR camera source with a Sony TRV-11 and we were able to record the IR there.

I'll try the firewire trick and see what happens.