DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Where can I buy a **GL1**? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/4435-where-can-i-buy-gl1.html)

Blake Haber October 18th, 2002 11:33 AM

Where can I buy a **GL1**?

Hi. I'm looking to buy a GL1.

I know it is no longer manufactured, replaced by the GL2 (one of which I own.)

I know they are listed by the ton on EBAY.

I know www.onecall.com offers them refurbed for $1699, but they are not in stock.

Does anyone have any leads on a GL1, newish condition, not messed up by "hotspots," other than EBAY?

So far the leads I've found searching on google and such have turned up dead-end.

And EBAY has been a bad scene: outbid numerous times in the last 3 seconds or less, reneged offers, extremely dubious sellers, etc.

So, any leads would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks,

Blake

Ed Frazier October 18th, 2002 01:10 PM

Would you be interested in a new one? There was a local dealer that had one or two a few weeks ago and if you're interested, I'll give them a call to see if they still have one on the shelf. If I remember correctly, their price wasn't that much less than a GL2, but if one is still there, they may be willing to talk.

Chris Hurd October 18th, 2002 10:31 PM

Contact fellow community member (and my local neighbor) Mat Cain at <mmcain@ev1.net> as I believe he has one in very good condition that he's thinking about selling.

Frank Granovski October 18th, 2002 10:42 PM

I also know someone who has one. It's got maybe 10 hours on it. He's not using it because he's doing photos these days, and trying to build up a photo business on the side (of his regular job). He's been thinking of selling it. If you want his e-mail, e-mail me and I'll send you his e-mail. The fellow lives in Alaska. I've known him for almost 4 years.

granit@imag.net

CarterTG October 19th, 2002 07:37 AM

This isn't likely going to be a practical lead, but probably one of the largest source of brand new, unused GL1 camcorders are hiding throughout Hong Kong.

Just returned from there where I'd notice a good number of the electronics shops (and there are literally hundreds there) had a GL1 in the window.

Although HK watches PAL broadcasts, these were indeed GL1s and not XM1s. The shopkeeps were enticing foreign tourists. Only a very few of the shops were starting to display the GL2. I wasn't in the market for another camera, so I didn't bother asking about prices, but frequent travellers will know that ALL prices in all shops throughout Hong Kong are open to dealing for bargains even beyond the "sale" price marked.

The only camera-related accessory I casually price-shopped was an additional battery. Lots of shops near the cellphone district had aftermarket BP-945 replacements (with a higher 4800-5200mah) for around $65 usd.

Whatever GL1 savings you might score won't likely cover for the average $600-$700 roundtrip ticket, but if you were planning a future vacation along with intents on picking up likewise bargains on custom-made suits, cellphones, watches... it might be a route to consider.

Blake Haber October 19th, 2002 12:16 PM

Thanks a lot for your leads. I'm following up on them.

Best,

b
Chris, for some reason I didn't get any email notification of these responses, even though I have Email Notification checked. In that past I've received notification for other posts.

Chris Hurd October 19th, 2002 12:38 PM

Recently we had a bit of a glitch associated with the auto e-mail notification, but I think it's fixed now. You may have to check settings in your control panel (the "user cp" button at the top of the page).

Blake Haber October 27th, 2002 01:09 PM

Thanks. I'm taking an even bigger risk: I've bought one off eBay which will arrive next week (hopefully).

b

Tylar Mccoy October 27th, 2002 05:21 PM

allright, let me know how it goes!