DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Possible GL2 Problem? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/45391-possible-gl2-problem.html)

Tom Johnston May 29th, 2005 11:25 PM

Possible GL2 Problem?

Over the past few weeks... I have had my camera "reset itself" so to speak... sometimes during recording, others when on standby. It's like the camera turns off and on really fast. Sometimes my settings will stay the exact same. Sometimes they won't, so I have to reset full manual controls every time this happens (excluding CP's of course) Also, sometimes the settings will stay but the manual focus will go off when it resets/turns off then back on fast... I have been using my canon brand batteries latley. I used an off brand bp-945 battery periodically and didn't encounter any problems. But I try to lean towards the Canon batteries and use the off brand as a last resort for backup. Only thing I could possibly think is a loose fitting battery that would cause this but Canon batteries aren't loose fitting... as they are made for the specific model. Any idea what could be causing this? Please post back. Thank you for your time.

Ken Tanaka May 30th, 2005 01:21 AM

Tom,
A loose battery connection or dirty/misaligned contacts would be my first guesses. This is not uncommon. You cannot do much to make the battery tighter but you can check to see if the contacts are dirty.

Failing that, I would guess that it's some type of internal short.

Either will likely require a trip to Canon service.

Alain Comeau August 8th, 2005 01:07 PM

Hello Tom,
I noticed your post regarding the gl2 going on and off and recently mine has been doing the same thing. I was wondering if you have solved the problem?

Tom Johnston August 8th, 2005 02:31 PM

Yes, I have gone through hell over the past few months with Canon Service. In response to your question. I will tell you everything thats been going on. First trip took five or more weeks to get back. Only to use it for about five minutes and encounter the same problem. When the main circuit board was supposedly replaced. Did nothing obviously. Back to Canon we go. Trip two, took about another four to five weeks. I was told I had got a "new" camera. So I go to pick it up and it clearly isn't new, as there is signs of wear all over the thing. Marks and scratches on the body and what not. Use the camera for a day or two... no problems that far... but I decided to send it back for a couple of reasons. This camera is in much worse condition then the camera I originally sent, just by looking at it. If the camera has been used. How do I know I'm not going to run into the same problem in a matter of weeks/months? This is somewhat of a slap in the face on Canons part, after all of the waiting time. Also, the roughly three grand I forked out for this product. Only to get back a camera that probably has been used and isn't the one I originally sent in. They obviously haven't been able to "repair" this problem. Meaning in which they should replace it, with a brand new mint condition product; rather then a used one. So in conclusion, I advise writing a nice long letter, along with your camera when you send it in. Stating what you want directly. I would best advise getting a refund, if you can and switching over to Sony or another brand. As this has been a huge problem with the gl2's according to this message boards and friends I know who have run into the same problem over a matter of time.

Alain Comeau August 8th, 2005 05:37 PM

Hello Tom.

First I want to thank you for the detailed response. It is very upsetting to think of what you went through and the way it was handled. . It does sound like dealing with Cannon has been frustrating and I cant say I am looking forward to it. I am researching my options and will certainly keep you posted of my progress.
Best of luck and again thank you for the response!

Guest August 13th, 2005 10:10 AM

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=30557

Welcome to the club!