DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which is better GL2- Or sony VX2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/45531-better-gl2-sony-vx2100.html)

Austin Puskas June 1st, 2005 02:11 PM

Which is better GL2- Or sony VX2100?

I am deciding on what to camera to get. I am looking for a skateboard camera. I edit and Film. I've heard great things about both cameras, What do you think is the best and worth it?

Dave Ferdinand June 1st, 2005 02:40 PM

the VX2100 is more robust, so for shooting on a skateboard might be the best. It's also better for shooting at night. However it's a bit bigger and heavier, so take that into account.

I would also consider the Panasonic DC30, which kind of combines features of both Sony and Canon. It's robust, not too heavy and has an infrared mode for pitch-dark situations.

Austin Puskas June 1st, 2005 04:52 PM

I heard that the VX2100 or the 2000's are front heavy. So doesn't that mean i will have to tilt it up a bit to get a straight shot, and aren't they like a pound heavier than the gl2's??

Does anybody own a Gl2 or a Sony Vx2000 or 2100 that could tell me what it is like?

DJ Kinney June 1st, 2005 07:08 PM

Gl2. I keep hearing a lot of people complaining about this mysterious tape transport problem. A lot of people have it, but I think it has been quietly taken care of my Canon so as to not admit blame.

Look. I own a Canon, and will always own a Canon. I was shooting a wedding once, and like the pro that I am, I got totally pissed and spilled a full beer into my camera. I shook it out, used a blow drier and it's still running two years later. Rock solid.

I don't know about a tape transport problem, but I do know about hardcore abuse.

Canon is the gospel truth.

Austin Puskas June 1st, 2005 08:08 PM

what canon camera do you have?

Ben Bixby June 1st, 2005 09:56 PM

i have a GL2, very good buy, it comes with a year parts and labour, free, so thats a big plus. the quality with the GL2 vs the VX2100 with action shots is very small, people will not notice the difference in your videos. if your looking to get a name brand Sony, go ahead, but the Canon is a very good camcorder for a very good price and they back there stuff up.

DJ Kinney June 2nd, 2005 09:43 AM

I have a GL2. If you want to know what I like least about it, it would have to be the lack of a 24p function, but that probably wouldn't matter to you. If I had it to do over again, I would most likely save up a little longer and get the XL2 for 24p so I could still go with Canon, or in a less likeley scenario, go with a differend brand. But that's it. It's the lack of a 24 p function.

It's light and robust, and doesn't feel fragile. The optics are awesome and crisp, the balance is good, too.

Oh, and speaking of balance. If you're doing skate stuff, you'll want a wide angle or a fisheye. This won't make it frontheavy if you attach a bp-945 (the big one) battery that lasts seven hours. I have that setup going right now. Heavier, but still balanced.

And don't underestimate that OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZATION. I don't believe that the vx2100 has OIS. If you are out in the field doing a skate vid, then you'll use image stabilization. Electronic just clips your image. Optical uses billows to actually shift the optics. So there is no electronic clipping. That function all on its own probably makes it the better camera.

Also, I have this friend who does professional skate videos in Santa Rosa CA. He uses the GL2 for all of the reasons I have stated.

DJ

Mathieu Ghekiere June 2nd, 2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Kinney
I have a GL2. If you want to know what I like least about it, it would have to be the lack of a 24p function, but that probably wouldn't matter to you. If I had it to do over again, I would most likely save up a little longer and get the XL2 for 24p so I could still go with Canon, or in a less likeley scenario, go with a differend brand. But that's it. It's the lack of a 24 p function.DJ

That's right, but (and I'm adressing this to Austin), the Sony VX hasn't got a 24p mode too.
And the GL2 still has the frame mode.

For my opinion about it, you just should check them out, or compare:
The GL2 has the very good fluorite lens with big zoom and optical stabilization.
The Sony can film with very low light (at least better then the GL2)
So I think you'd best pick what fits your needs the best.
Good luck.

Austin Puskas June 3rd, 2005 04:24 PM

wow, thanks alot guys. I have just recently emailed the director and producer of the DC video, very famous. He said to go with the VX2100 but he didn't say much why. All he said was that most of the editors for skate videos don't like to mix sony and canon quality together. So im guessing that they picked one or the other and they picked sony. :S

but overall I think they are the same camera's some better on one than the other. But you guys think the Gl2 has a better image stabilizer?

Ben Bixby June 3rd, 2005 07:42 PM

Yes. The GL2 is good, but if i could have i would have gotten a bit better camcorder. GL2 is a totally awesome buy though, and i dont regret it. Buy it, you'll like it.

DJ Kinney June 3rd, 2005 08:18 PM

The GL2 definitely has a better image stabilizer. There is no question. You will lose rez with an electronic image stabilizer.

And about mizing the Canon and Sony, that sounds totally made up. There is no irreconcilable difference between the two. Different neutral colours, yeah. But all that is scrubbed up in post, anyway.

Boyd Ostroff June 4th, 2005 06:50 AM

The VX-2100/VX-2000 have optical image stabilization which is very good. In fact, I have read that they license the technology from Canon.

I'm surprised you aren't looking for a smaller camera for skateboard shooting. Have you seen the Sony PDX-10? With rebate it sells for $1,600 at B&H.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...sp=11&id=65263

This is part of the Sony professional line of camcorders, and it can shoot in DVCAM mode, has a nice big bright LCD screen, pro audio features (XLR inputs and shotgun mike), hi res monochrome viewfinder. A big plus is that it shoots full quality 16:9 which is something that neither the GL-2 or VX-2100 can do. You can remove the XLR adaptor which makes it very small and lightweight - much smaller than either the GL-2 or VX-2100. It uses 37mm filters and adaptor lenses which are considerably cheaper than the 58mm VX-2100/GL-2 variety. It also has optical image stabilization.

See our forum here for more information: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=43

David Ennis June 4th, 2005 01:58 PM

And the Panasonic AG-DVC30 should be added to this roundup. It was reviewed at another site as slightly better than the GL2--more ruggedly built, smaller, a bit better in low light, has two modes (short and longer range) for shooting in zero light--and can be had at B&H for about $1650 after rebate. But that was just one reviewer's opinion.

Meanwhile, it's also a good time to buy the GL2. It's down to $2000 before the $250 rebate which is almost as low as the price I paid last year. It may not stay that low--it didn't the last time.