XM2 (GL2) manual focus ring - worse than xl1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1
New Boot

XM2 (GL2) manual focus ring - worse than xl1s?

Hi,

I was wondering how the manual focus ring on the XM2 (or GL2 in the USA) is compared to the XL-1s. I have used a manual focus ring on other cheaper DV cameras before and they were very slow to respond and very inaccurate. It is important to me that the camera can be used in manual focus for the majority of the time and that it is able to perform focus-pulls. Would I be alright going with the XM2 or should I go for a camera with detatchable lenses such as the XL-1s?

Thanks in advance.

Harry.
Harry Marr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I do not know about the Xl1's, but i do know that the XM2/GL2 focus ring responds quickly with good tension.
Ben Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I would prefer having interchangable lenses, generally speaking, but the focus ring is tight and crisp on the GL2. You won't have a problem with it. But if you are looking at interchangeable lenses, it will be thousands of dollars difference.

It depends on what you want to do. But no problem with the ring.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The GL2's manual focus ring is identical to that of the XL1's standard 16x lens. It is a servo-driven focus mechanism, not a true manual focus ring. It's fine for most owners who rarely need / use the ring.

But if you're doing precision camera work that requires a lens with true manual focus (i.e. repeatable movement and settings) the GL2 won't fill the bill. You should look toward a camera such as the Panasonic DVX100A (which features such a lens design), the XL2 outfitted with the manual 16x lens, or renting a pro-level camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Good advice from Ken there. With the XL2 and its standard 20x lens, you have the ability to program a focus preset and do repeatable rack focus moves.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #6
Old Boot

. . not only will it be thousands more for the XL2 - for the interchangable lens options - BUT to ALSO buy those interchangable lenses too! Yeah?

In this trade/craft the difficult thing is to decide what you will be wanting to be doing in the next 3 -> 6 -> 12 months . . seesshh I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow - BUT! Here's the thing: once you've bought "stuff" and it is IN your hands you will then experiment and take on work that will "expand" into the new, expensive tools you've bought. It's a bit Chicken 'n Egg!

Speaking for myself, I didn't know what a wide angle lense would give once screwed to the front of my XM2 - I just bought it! Now I know! I didn't reeeeally appreciate the value of a Senni shotgun mic - until I really used it!

What I'm saying is that sometimes, often, and even AFTER all the research, heart shearching and gum smacking, you just gotta, kinda, put the money down!

If I had the ackers now I would be buying a decent natural 16:9 - and NOT HD [ and yes I know the XL2 isn't HD ] . .. I know, this is blasphemous to my friends here . . but all the added extras in editing and dealing with HD stuff is just too much an investment - at the moment.

So, think how badly you need inter-lense options - listen hard to what Ken said. If money is tight? I'd again go for the XM2 and use the budget-headroom on stuff to go with it. - Oh yesm the XL2 is very cool with a native 16:9 option . . . is it what you need now? It maybe what you want . . but is it just too much camera for the money that WONT give you enough to develop your craft. On the other hand the XM2 - IMHO and after 2.5 years - has and is continuing to stretch my skills . . I'm still learning what this great camera is giving me.

Sorry for the loooong response . ..

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks a lot for the replies, they have been very helpful. I think that I will look around on eBay for a cheap DVX100 but if I cannot find one then I'll go with the XM2 - in most respects it looks like a brilliant camera. Thanks again.
Harry Marr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders