GL2 at the beach-PLEASE REPLY!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 at the beach-PLEASE REPLY!!!

Okay I just got a Canon GL2 and have been researching them. I have read in some places that it is unsafe to film with the GL2 at the beach because the "salty air" can easily damage the camera and the lense. I really don't know that much about this camera and I really need to know because I'm anxious to make my first surf video. Thank You
James Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome James,
Salt spray and sand are hazards for any type of camera. The GL2 is no more or less susceptible to damage than other cameras in its class. If you expect to be in such conditions use a rain cover (Porta Brace, Kata, et.al.) and be especially careful when changing tapes.

That's basically it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Major Player

The salt air on its own will probably not wreck the cam. I had my GL2 out on a Gulf Coast beach and never had problems. But you start talking about blowing sand and actual spray, and then there may be an issue.

But probably no worse than filming in a windy and dusty place, like the Great Plains, or the U.S. Senate Chamber.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4
New Boot

I also film surfing, mainly gulf coast, with my new GL2. Have been filming gulf coast surfing with other cameras for a little while and am stoked about the GL2. James, you should post some surfing footage when you get a good swell in your area. BTW, what is your area? Gulf Coast isnt the most promissing surf destination but we work with what we're given. But more on topic, I do plan to get a rain cover and use it when at the beach, mainly for protection from sand. Good luck.
Everett Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Wrangler

for sure, get some protection for your GL2. i used a ewa-marine splash bag in hawaii, and i never worried about the camera. it's even better than a rain cover, i think, because the camera is completely covered. you can set it down in the sand, if you like, and it will be fully protected. my only advice is, that the camera moves around in the bag a bit, so you have to be careful that the lens is always fully lined up with the lensing area in the bag, otherwise some irising will occur. the splash bag can also be used underwater.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #6
New Boot

Thank everybody who replied...you have been a great help. To Everette, I live in San Diego California. I will soon be posting footage of a few different spots (blacks, ponto, o-side, trestles, the wedge, etc.) Thank you again and I will be back soon with more questions. Everette I would like to see some of your footage if you could send it to me. dri_4_life@yahoo.com
Thank You
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Tourist

GL2 at the beach

At the beach, I keep my GL2 protected in a bag I padded myself. The camera fits inside completely assembled so it is ready to go at a moments notice. I found this very Important when traveling with children and grandchildren.

Tom
Tom Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #8
New Boot

i do have a ewa marine housing for my old sony camera. liked it, but also had a bit of the irising problem. even with the pads they provide to keep the camera more stable in the bag i found it difficult to completely and easily avoid the irising problem. the only other fairly cheap housing i can find is the epic cam housing, but someone recently posted that they have witnessed 3 different cameras ruined by the epic housings. to james: as i said im on the gulf coast (pensacola) so the surf here is nothing compared to california, but there is that tropical storm coming out of the carribean right now and by saturday we are supposed to have 10-15 ft seas. planin on some footage. i also got 3 friends movin out to san diego to a condo 5 blocks off the beach and ill probably be visiting some time. ill get some footage together soon and send over. until then, good luck with your footage. everett.
Everett Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #9
New Boot

Hey guys I have another question. Has anybody ever used any opteka lenses. I found them extremely cheap on ebay and several sites so I was questioning their quality. Should I go for it and buy one or is it a better idea to save up and invest in a nicer, more expensive lense
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I've filmed at VA beach numerous times including times where I have been up to my knees in the surf. When I am done, I pack it up properly and to date have not had any problems. Of course I was also not in a sand storm at the time!
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #11
Tourist

ewa-marine splash bag to protect your GL2

Meryem, you mentioned using a ewa-marine splash bag to protect your GL2, what model is that? I looked up the larger one on Aoorama's site and only found

Ewa-Marine DU-3 Electronics Bag, Protective Waterproof Splash Pouch, 8.5" x 11.5".

which seems designed for documents and doesn't have a place for a lens.
Peter McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #12
Wrangler

peter, i don't know the model number offhand --VXM2 maybe?--but you can go to http://www.ewamarine.com and they have a complete product listing.

one thing i would say about the bag is to experiment with it before you shoot something crucial to find out its uses and limits. good luck!
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #13
Wrangler

while i'm at it--i've used those cheapie opteka lenses on my GL2 and found them perfectly adequate. no complaints at all. and when i stupidly dropped the circular polarizer and broke it, i didn't feel nearly as irritated as i would have if i dropped something pricier! so go for it!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
for sure, get some protection for your GL2. i used a ewa-marine splash bag in hawaii, and i never worried about the camera. it's even better than a rain cover, i think, because the camera is completely covered. you can set it down in the sand, if you like, and it will be fully protected. my only advice is, that the camera moves around in the bag a bit, so you have to be careful that the lens is always fully lined up with the lensing area in the bag, otherwise some irising will occur. the splash bag can also be used underwater.
Meryem, that's nice to know that you can also use the VC2000 splash bag underwater? did I get that right? how deep can it go? 1 ft 2 ft...?

Another thing is can you actually slip your hands inside the bag if you are far from the waters? So that i will be able to do some manual controls?

How bad will be the irising? you have also mentioned that the camera moves inside the bag, is the front flat glass screwed in the front of the camera?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #15
Wrangler

it is rated for 20 ft. it's mostly for snorkeling, not diving, use.

i imagine you can slip your hands inside the bag to do manual, but it would be awkward--a tight fit, and you run the risk of moving the lens in the lens compartment. this would require a bit of experimentation. also there's no tripod mount option, so maybe something like a beanbag to steady things (i shot strictly handheld out of the water, in the water you float the bag).

as i said before, it doesn't give you good access to the manual controls at all. you could do your own experimenting and maybe figure that out, but my perception is that it's mostly auto function. you get what you pay for with underwater gear and since this is the least expensive option (still $400!, cheap is a relative term....), you get the least number of features. it's a big ziploc bag that wind-,water-, and sand-proofs your gear and allows you on/off and zoom access and that's about it. and i would say, although it's been awhile since i used it, that it vignettes at about 35%-40% zoom. to simplify matters, i'd use it at about 80-100% zoom.

the lens doesn't screw to the bag's lens face, it sets in a lens compartment, thus there is some motion, which can create more vignetting.

what i like about it is, it provides complete coverage. a coupla grains of sand can really mess things up. i won't go to the beach without it. but it does have serious limits. if i was doing a serious paying job that placed my expensive equipment on the beach (and more than a camera alone would be involved, i'm sure, and require a whole 'nother level of protecting sound equipment, etc.), i'm not sure how i would handle it. the ewa-marine give you strictly image. no sound.

someone who has done this far more extensively than i have, would have to weigh in on that topic. just having spent play time with a splash bag and a camera, i can imagine shooting a beach scene with full gear could be rather complicated with all the sand, salt, and wind.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders