VL-10 Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 28th, 2002, 09:02 AM   #1
Trustee

VL-10 Light

I just got a VL-10 light and thought I would share my impressions -
This is an excellent light. I didn't think 10w would be enough, and it doesn't light an entire room independently, but what it does do is light almost all of the field of view of the camera. I turned gain all the way down to 0, the framerate to 30 and I wound up with too much light at times, and that was in a very dark room (not totally dark, though). I'll try it in a pitch black room tonight, but this light so far seems outstanding for lighting a room that's fairly dark when you don't want to use gain (because of the graininess).

I had also gotten a VL-3 and sent it back. It was so tiny, and so dim, that it was virtually worthless. But the VL-10 is definitely good.

Short of a huge halogen lamp, this is the way to go, especially since it uses the same battery as the camera. I can plug the camera into an outlet, and use my 3-hour battery in the light, ro vice versa, and it works great.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 01:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

to peter0302

I am glad to hear that the 10 W lamp is significant better than the 3 W lamp in terms of light output. Don't you see a pattern of the mirror when you light up an even surface e.g. a white coloured wall or is the light soomth distributed????
Hans Kuipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:00 AM   #3
Trustee

The light is pretty smooth. Now that I know what to look for I see what you mean - there is a slight radiating pattern from the center when I shine it on the ceiling. But when I'm lighting up objects or a person I don't see it.

Again, the light seems good for taking objects in a poorly lit room and adding enough light so you don't need gain. It's not a super-halogen light that'll light up an entire large room. It's more of a light suppliment.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 02:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Alternatives to the 10w

Is any other alternatives to the 10w canon light that matches fine with the GL2?

Any spread light or stronger, tested with this camcorder?

Thanks in advance. Ignacio
Old November 23rd, 2002, 07:01 PM   #5
Andy Wason

VL10 and VL3

I've had the VL-10 for a little while and am very happy with it. I shoot alot of weddings and found that sometimes (early on in the reception) people would object to the brightness so I've picked up a little vl-3 just as a 'fill' light for close ups in dark halls. The VL-3 is extremely convenient, it's like part of the camcorder, ie only turns on when your recording, uses the same power source, is very small.
I think the GL2 manual is funny when it says "with the VL-3 you can shoot good video even in a dark room"
Oh yeah?
Andy
Imagine newmedia
Old November 24th, 2002, 07:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just one question Andy.

How do you connect the two lights to you camcorder. And which power source for them?

Thanks

Ignacio
Old November 24th, 2002, 10:31 AM   #7
Trustee

The VL-3 uses only the camera's power. The VL-10 uses a BP-9xx battery.

I wish there was a way to dim the light on the VL10 though. I wonder if you could tape a piece of paper in front of it both to do that and reduce the pattern, or if it might get too hot. Different things to try.

There are definitely alternatives to these lights. Most of the ones I see are very powerful halogen lights that WILL light up a room. They sell a lot on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1940351689
for example.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders