Canon GL1 Battery Release Repair at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon GL1 Battery Release Repair

Hey Everyone,

I've had my GL1 for a while now, and recently the little triangular clip that snaps out and holds the battery in place broke off. The camera still works, but the battery will randomly come out of place and shut the camera down, so it isn't very useful. I called canon and found out that the replacement part will cost $1.37+tax and shipping. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that it would cost at least $100 to have canon even look at the camera, not to mention labor. I'm not sure I want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a camera that old, but would like to get it in working order. Is this something that any of you have done yourselves or had repaired? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Dylan
Dylan Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

Triangular clip? Not sure I recognize the piece. Can you post a photo?

Is it part of the plastic battery eject level thing that releases the battery at the top left of the battery compartment that prevents the battery form rising up and out, or one of the four guides at the side of the compartment?

The functionality battery eject level (Canon part #DA1-9569-000 000) could be probably emulated by using a bit of plastic about 1/4 " thick to to hold the battery in place. Just hold it in place with some masking tape on the battery.
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

"Is it part of the plastic battery eject level thing that releases the battery at the top left of the battery compartment that prevents the battery form rising up and out."

That is exactly what I am talking about. I talked to a couple repair shops and 250-300 seems to be the going rate to have that piece replaced.Definitely not spending that much on a camera as old as the gl1. I'll figure something out.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

Getting to the bhe battery eject piece is fairly deep into the disassembley process; i.e.:
1 - Bottom cover
2 - left cover
3 - "U" cover
4 - top cover
5 - handle
6 - right cover
7 - rear cover (with the battery eject piece)

Working our an alternative way of retaining the battery is a reasonable approach.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Don, thanks for the input. I'll see what I can come up with to hold the battery in place. I don't think i really want to chance taking the camera that far apart.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Wrangler

If you are not worried about camcorder beauty contests the attachd picture might work to keep the battery in place.

Abit if masking tape (or tape and color of your choosing).
(Might even be able to do it with bits of velcro.)
A piece of wood about 1/4" thick and wide (measure to fit).
Be sure the viewfinder can pivot fully.
It will prevent the battery form sliding up and off the camcorder.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon GL1 Battery Release Repair-gl1_batt_lock.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders