DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   VL-3 light too tight? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47177-vl-3-light-too-tight.html)

Bill Shore July 4th, 2005 12:29 AM

VL-3 light too tight?

Hi - I just got my GL2 and have carefully slid the Canon VL-3 light into the accessory shoe. I have made sure the threads to tighten it were backed off and loose, but it is not easy to get on and off. I kind of have to gently fish tail it back and forth to get it come off.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Graham Bernard July 4th, 2005 01:49 AM

It was for me too. Scared me rigid when it wouldn't "slip-off" with ease. Been there, done that. But you are correct to treat it with care and respect! All those tiny multi-pins within the hotshoe! Oh yes . . .. .

Tell me - do you find it is at all effective? How near do you have to get? How much GAIN do you pump up the Camera setting to?

Grazie

Bill Shore July 4th, 2005 02:17 AM

Ah, so I am not alone. Wonder if some of the other goodies that go on the accessorie shoe are just as hard to get on and off - anyone?

Well Graham, I am quite a novice (just got my GL2 two days ago), but yes, the little VL-3 light is very effective. For three watts, it's brighter than you'd assume and it does a nice job of giving back detail to faces and eye sockets in humans.

I am in a dark office room now and managed to snag some nice footage sitting 11 feet away from some Celtic drums I have hanging on a wall. I am a rookie using the following settings:

Manual
S1/60
F2.0
18dB (gain is floored all the way up)

Graham Bernard July 4th, 2005 03:08 AM

Aha! 18dB . . yup. Now try it without the light on? See a difference? - G

Alan McCormick July 4th, 2005 06:53 AM

Nearly same topic

Grazie, I think you have the Pag C6 light.

When I got mine last year I found it very fiddly to put on or off the hotshoe or MA300 adaptor (my fingers are not that big). I emailed the PagMan (can't remember his name now) and he could only suggest an accessory, the metal shoe plate is all you get.

I leave mine on the MA300 permanently now, how did you get on using it?

Graham Bernard July 4th, 2005 08:53 AM

Yup! C6 here . .. Now 2 batteries! Hah! Wouldn't leave home without 'em!

Grazie

Bill Shore July 4th, 2005 02:13 PM

Yes, Graham. I should have mentioned, when I turn off the mighty little VL-3 the footage in my dark office was useless. After I turned it back on using the settings I mentioned, it's pretty impressive.

I have seen several of the GL2 users, and moderators on this site highly recommend the VL-3, and they are so right!

I just shot some footage of a neighborhood parade this morning, and was viewing it back. Man, the GL2 is really something! Such warm, and kind of film-like footage for video. I usually assume video is going to look kind of harsh and too sharpened. But the GL2 (with some fiddling) really captures depth of field well - and looks like braodcast quality to my eyes!

Back to the accessory shoe, have you ever used a microphone or anything else on it, and had the same difficulty getting them on and off?