Shooting Instructional Vid w/GL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 8th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Shooting Instructional Vid w/GL1

Hello folks, first time poster here. Just discovered this board a couple days ago and been taking it in. Learned a lot and had many questions answers from the wealth of old posts but I've got some new ones that are more specific to my situation I could use some more experienced insight on.

The project I'm going to be shooting a martial arts instructional video with a Canon GL1 and will be editing on Final Cut Pro 3. This won't be the first time I've done this with this particular camera, but I'd really like to improve on the last time which was the first time I'd edited any film. The subject is my father, so I'm both trapped in the job and wanting to do the best I can.

The Questions:

1) Frame Mode or Normal?

I guess I could just shoot normal mode and not think twice, I have the idea that frame mode's motion qualities might work out aesthetically better. Possibly more graceful-looking? There won't be any fast motion as it's not hard style so strobing shouldn't be an issue. I'm familiar with the poor man's deinterlacing technique in post, but if 30p were the better way to go, I'd rather save myself the rendering time and just shoot in frame mode.

2) Is it true that dialing down the GL1's sharpness control only softens the image and doesn't actually turn own the camera's electronic edge enhancement?

I've read conflicting things about this on the boards.

3) Poor man's looping vs low end wireless lavalier: which is the lesser evil?

Part and parcel of my father's style of instruction is to talk while doing the form. Limited resources as well as the realities of how he has to move make capturing live sound troublesome at best, so I'd been planning to loop his speech in afterward. Having balked many times at the cost of wireless lavaliers, I got a Tascam US122 and a Studio Projects B1 mic to handle that end. Recently though, I noticed the low price end of wireless lavs is now under $150 for an Azden model. You can see it here: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...sterid=2268543

Would such a unit be worthwhile? The sound quality doesn't have to be excellent, just doable, and if I could record live sound, that'd save the trouble of looping.

4) Are any sub-$500 cameras able to stand up as second camera to the GL1?

The nature of what I'm shooting would make it really nice to a have a second camera, but my budget is small to none. I couldn't afford anything much, but if a 1 CCD camera's footage won't harmonize with the GL1's, then I won't bother even thinking about it.

5) Should I instead be dreaming and scrimping for a GL2 and asking if the GL1 will stand up as second camera for the GL2?

It's dreaming, but I might as well ask.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Leigh L Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Leigh,
It looks like you've not yet gotten any takers on your questions. It's been quite some time since I had a GL1 but perhaps I can get the ball rolling, at least a little bit.

Based on the general description of your project I would be inclined to shoot the cleanest Normal (interlaced) mode footage possible. The occasional fast movements in martial arts can appear strobed in Frame mode. Light thoughtfully and get the best coverage possible (ex: wide, medium, close-ups).

I've no experience with those particular wireless mics...best place to ask about them is in our Now Hear This forum.

We have had several folks who have discussed producing martial arts videos over the years. Perhaps one will chime-in to offer on-the-ground (pun intended) tips.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Ken. The deafening silence had made me suspect I've crossed some invisible line in my questions that reveals me as too low end to talk to here. :)

I'll try my luck in the audio subforum for that mic question.
Leigh L Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #4
Wrangler

I agree with Ken that interlaced is probably better, and especially if distributed on tape.

As to an under $500 second camera - if the set is well lit, look into the 3-CCD Panasonic consumer camcorders; e.g., the PV-GS150 (just over $500), or the PV-GS65, just under $500). Reviews at: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/. BTW: I have not use them so I can not speak to their quality except what is in the reviews. Check the Panasonic section on this board for possible info on them.

Not sure about the softening method - but what counts is the end result, so use it if you like the image, or consider adjustments in post.

Same for sound, voice over in post if that gives better effect, use the live sound for dialog synch. A cheap wireless systems will sound cheap, but may be adequate for you rpurposes, especially if the intent is to get the sounds of exertion and impacts as well. You might consider havng two or three fixed shotgun mics around the action and a mixer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders