Seeking Upload Camera Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Tourist

Seeking Upload Camera Recommendations

I'm breaking back into independent production after 20 years and my budget is only going to allow me to purchase a used Canon GL2 or if I'm lucky, an XL-1 or really lucky, an XL-2.

Until finances allow me to afford better, I'm going to have to milk this sucker for all it's worth and beyond. The subjects will range from documentaries to original short screenplays, so the camera will be getting a workout.

So to save the heads I'm looking for recommendations for a second camera to upload the video to my PC. I've already read a few suggestions on other threads, but I could use more options. The obvious goal is to get the best upload quality for the least amount of money possible.

That or I could use a wealthy widow or mentor with way too much money on their hands to help me get started, but I suspect the line for that is a wee bit too long...

Many thanks in advance,
-Dan

Last edited by Daniel K. Webb; April 20th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Daniel K. Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

My advice is to use as cheap of a MiniDV handycam as you can find. I'm using a 8 year old Sony with power system issues as a tape deck and it's flawless.

There is no difference in quality no matter what you use to import because it is all digital, the only difference is the interface.

Greg
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If your budget is really tight, why not use the GL2/XL2 you buy to capturing the footage to your computer? Doing this at least as a beginning, would free up a little more money for buying the camera you want.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks, both of you. There is so much I need to relearn on video production and I have little time to do it. My last professional video work was with 3 quarter inch, so that should date me rather nicely.

I've decided to delay production for another two weeks in order to afford a used XL-1. The G2 might do the job, but the older unit strikes me as the better option. I will use the camera as a deck if I have to, though I hope I may spare the heads as much as possible. I'm about to dump 80% of my equipment budget on the camera alone and the last thing I need is the unit crapping out on me half way through the summer production season, especially considering it's going to be purchased used. I've had that happen too many times in the past using used equipment with still photography, so I'm more than a bit gun-shy. Poverty sucks when one is trying to be creative!

I've read the cheap MiniDV upload won't effect the video quality, but what about the audio? I'm working on back up audio, but it would be more convenient if I'm able to edit directly from the source.

Cheers,
-Dan
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Both the video and audio is saved all digital on the tape.
The capture/upload process will not affect the quality. All you do is
copying the bits and bytes from the tape to the harddrive.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Tourist

Thank you!. I thought that might be the case, but I wanted confirmation. Now I can finish my camera shopping with confidence. Or at least with as much confidence I can muster while ordering used equipment on line.

-Dan
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel................

May I add my 2 cents at this point and strongly suggest you hold out for an XL 2 rather than a XL 1/s.

The XL 2 is such a superior camera in just about all respects and they're coming onto the second hand market thick and fast these days, and that native 16:9 is worth it's weight in gold.

The XL 1 is well and truly past it, I know, I have one, and I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy, quite frankly.

Don't be fretting about the heads in whatever you end up buying, they'll outlast anything you'll be able to throw at them, especially if it's an XL 2.

Much to my astonishment Canon are still selling XL 2's new, which gives you an idea how popular they have been.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Fs: Gl2

Daniel,

If your still thinking the GL2, I and other have them posted in the Classifieds.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...ml#post1474225

I'm looking to by a 7D and was hopping to apply whatever I can get for my camera and kit. It was a great setup when I started out. I can understand looking for something more updated, but if your interested, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Good Luck in you future endeavor,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders