DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Lens question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/4827-lens-question.html)

Stephen Sobel November 7th, 2002 07:58 PM

Lens question

I'm looking to get a filter for the GL2. I'm interested in one that can stay on for protection, with minimal distortion.

I'm looking at the B + W 58mm filters. The choices (regular, not slim) I've been looking at so far include the following:

strong UV haze 415 glass filter;
UV haze 010 (MRC) Multi Resistant Coating glass filter;
UV haze 010 glass filter; or
UV haze 010 flass filter extra wide.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which filter best meets my needs?

Stephen

Frank Granovski November 8th, 2002 04:02 AM

Get a slim line. It might be closer to the lense thus less reflection and distortion.

I didn't know they have so many variations of the UV 010.

Maybe this one?

UV haze 010 glass filter

or a Heliopan UV? (slim line)

But what's wrong with a Cokin or Hoya? For a UV protection filter for a video cam, you don't have to go with the most expensive.

[IMG]www.dvfreak.com/filters.htm[/IMG]

Stephen Sobel November 9th, 2002 08:07 PM

I'm not familiar with either the Cokin or the Hoya. How do they compare to the B + W or Heliopan in terms of distortion?

Jim Yang November 9th, 2002 11:37 PM

I use Hoya filters for my Canon 35mm SLR and I see no distortion in my film.

I havn't tried any Cokin though.

Frank Granovski November 9th, 2002 11:45 PM

B+W and Heliopan are both owned by the same company, and both use the same German glass. No difference.

I have Cokin filters, and I like them better than the Heliopans, B+Ws, Nikons etc. I've heard that Hoya filters are also very good. Regarding specialty filters, that's more subjective and another story.

Stephen Sobel November 10th, 2002 07:53 AM

Is there a difference in distortion/video quality between multicoated filters versus regular filters?

Jeff Donald November 10th, 2002 08:45 AM

The difference varies from nominal to extreme. Your safest bet is to always use a multi coated filter unless you can guarantee with 100% certainty your lighting conditions. Single coated filters will show varying degrees of flair the more you point your lens toward a bright light source. Single coated filters also tend not to be manufactured to the same standards as the more expensive multi coated filters. Bottom line , best investment and most bang for the buck, multi coated filters.

Jeff

Keith Luken November 11th, 2002 12:19 PM

I have the multi-coated B+W and it lives on my GL2. I avoided the slimline becase it does not have threads on the external side so the lens cap would not stay on unless you by a new lens cover.

Aaron Koolen November 11th, 2002 01:43 PM

Yeah I got the slimline Heliopan UV and I have that problem with the lenscap, staying on, but the stupid clip on the cap presses up against the lens - and yeah it does mark the filter :(. Even with the non-slim Heliopan the same problem occured, so I just stuck with the slim one. I will need to get another cap, or I will put a thin layer of felt on it.