Filming in woods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 31st, 2005, 02:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filming in woods

Hi im starting a film with the GL2. I will be filming a woods. Do any of you recemend any good setting
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Nathaniel,

You can start by just using the Auto mode to see how things go but I would recommend that you check out the manual settings. Practice, practice and practice some more. You cannot say a particular set of settings will work for a particular scenario as you will be continually changing for changes in light etc.
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks i will try it
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Don't auto white balance inside the forest and use a tripod for those 20X zoomed shots. Good luck!
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rayner
Don't auto white balance inside the forest and use a tripod for those 20X zoomed shots. Good luck!
Hey Colin,

I think I know the answer, but can you tell us why you cautioned against white balancing in the forest?

Thanks,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

The reason you don't want to auto white balance is, because of the shifting light from the tree canopy. Do a manual balance instead, and you can even modify that with warm or cool cards.
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
The reason you don't want to auto white balance is, because of the shifting light from the tree canopy. Do a manual balance instead, and you can even modify that with warm or cool cards.
Keith,

AWB is a manual white balance. The other option is preset.

If you do a manual white balance under the tree canopy you could potentially lower the greens in your video, (the trees may reflect green light to your white balance card).

However, I would suggest doing a manual white balance in shade, (maybe the interior of the car?) as the color temperature of shade is cooler than that of the 5600 preset.

Or, as you suggest use the warm or cool cards.

Sincerely,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Check out this video I just did. It has some scenes that were shot in the forest.

http://www.terraform.tv/video/hellinthefirst.mov

My full manual settings were:

- Outdoor preset white balance
- 1/250 shutter speed
- F-stop 2.1
- Gain 0db

I used the high shutter speed on purpose for the look, otherwise I probably would have left it at 1/60 with the nd filter on. It was a bright sunny day, if it was cloudy the nd filter probably wouldn't have been used. In post all I did was turned down the saturation a bit and crunched the blacks and whites.
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Trustee

Corey -
Wow!

Great! -

I'm still not sure why I like it... or even if I should like it... but I do, I really do.
Well done indeed. I loved the singer - her smile as a counterpoint to all that gore has a really mesmeric quality.
I'm still reeling a bit and trying to get my head around the scenario, although I don't suppose I should be too concerned with that.
Technically as well, I think you did a very good job - nice to see that the old GL2 can still cut the mustard.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Major Player

I just watched that video with my friend Kate, and after it was over she looked at me and said. "Wow. I want to be friends with that girl."

And I'm thinking the same way. That chick is crazy. And wicked. Absolutely wicked. But the song is great.

Couple of questions. The manual settings are simple enough, and you said all you did in post was desaturate a little and crush the black, but what about framerate and deinterlacing.

I can't tell with quicktime. The monitor is deinterlaced anyway. So was it deinterlaced in post to 30, or 24 with a pulldown. Or in-cam frame mode? I'm most curious about that.

And the depth of field is fantastic as well. What was the setup in the room with the microphone? Lights and cam distance from subject, specifically.

Maybe this question should be moved to the other thread containing this link. The one about music videos.

----

DJ Kinney
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Major Player

I really like the color, especially on the indoor shots. Very well lit, great stuff to show what the GL2 can do...
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments. DJ Kinney, the video was all shot using the gl2's framemode. Lately I've been shooting almost everything using framemode in combination with 1/250 shutter speed. It's makes the footage look amazing when viewed on a tv. It's really vivid and everything seems to just jump out of the screen, especially when fast cuts are used. Didn't do any 24p, just the regular 29.97fps.
The stuff in the room was lit with one 500watt halogen worklight duct taped to a microphone stand. It was put at about a 45 degree angle to the chair and about 5 feet away from it level with the girl's head. I was shooting at various distances from her. Anywhere from 3 to 10 feet away. The room wasn't very big, I would have liked to been at least 15 to 20 feet away to get that really shallow depth of field but we didn't have a lot of locations to choose from. Hope that helps!

Corey
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders