Where to buy GL1 (Other than eBay) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Where to buy GL1 (Other than eBay)

Are there any companies that still sell GL1s or other older mini DV 3 cccd camcorders?

I am looking for a really cheap mini DV 3 cccd camera but don't want to do the eBay thing.

It's mostly for home use right now.

Any alternatives?

Thanks.

G
Gilbert Labossiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you don't want Ebay, but still want to go second hand, you can try these boards.
You have the Private Classifieds boards, where people sell their material, you can put a demand there, if someone has one he or she wants to sell.

Good luck!

BTW: you still have the sponsors of this site, very good dealers who know what they sell. Chris selected only the best for this site. I think you can still get the GL2 at B&H.
And there is a rebate on it, I think!

PS: If it's only for home use, do you mean home movies? Otherwise, you can try for example the GS400 from Panasonic, a pretty cheap but decent 3CCD camcorder.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I did a quick google search and found this. (I can't verify the credibility of this retailer however)

http://www.prestigecamera.com/produc...discontinued=1

They also still have the listing on amazon.com. Although they don't sell them new, sometimes you can find someone selling one used on the site.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...photo&n=507846
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

As has been suggested, with or without of Ebay, your best bet is to place a "want to buy" ad in our Private Classifieds forum. There are no "new" GL1 camcorders anymore; those were all sold out long ago. Any camera store that claims to have one might not actually be an authorized Canon dealer, so do some careful research before you buy.

For what it's worth, any of the new model Canon Optura 1CCD camcorders will easily outperform an older GL1. The newer Optura, from the model Xi forward, has an RGB color filter which emulates the 3CCD look. Plus you get manual audio control and native 16:9, all for well under $1000 brand new.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Chris, are these new optura's really that good?
Don't you have more detail in your picture with a GL1?

And what about manual image control?
Just curious, I keep hearing many great things about these opturas.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:19 PM   #6
New Boot

Factory refurbished option in the ebay looks good.
James Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone!
Gilbert Labossiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders