GL2 Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #1
New Boot

GL2 Focus

Hey all, I'm trying to shoot a scene where the background is blurry and the subject is in focus. How can we do this? Do we need a telephoto lense? Thanks, -Mat
Mat Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You could put your iris on 1.8.
But then you get a lot of chance your image is overexposed.

You don't need another lens, the GL2 doesn't even support another lens.
You could zoom in completely in to a close-up of anyone, from far. That you have a CU, but you are completely zoomed in, that should give you a short DOF.
For a medium I think it's much more difficult, but you can do it in the same way, but beware that you surely shoot on a tripod.

Good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Old Boot

What you, me and others are trying to do is create this very short Depth of Field. This in turn creates interesting layers that will "focus" your viewer's attention onto the item you've taken much time to frame and light.

However, because of the nature of video we are limited - we have BIG DoF! And as Mathieau implies, one of the ways to do this is to forece open the iris in Manual. I do this but I compensate for this overepxosure by adding twcie as much ND - about 1.8 in total. This brings down the exposure and gives me a BIG iris.

Here is a link to the DoF Machine, well titled, website. Have a quick scan through its pages - and weep!

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dof/index.htm

I'm now seriously contemplating the 35mm adaption, much spoken of, to achieve short DoF.

But you are in the same boat as all of us!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #4
New Boot

35mm Adaption

Grazie,
Just curious if you ever decided to go for the 35mm adaption? It looks interesting in the "How to" article but I am wondering how practical it is for real world shooting?

Jim
Jim Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Trustee

Well, it's not practical at all for "real-world" shooting is it?
OK for pseudo-drama and such, where you can rehearse movements and make focus-marks so that your focus-puller can keep the talent sharp, but I don't see a short DOF being anything other than a hindrance for day-to-day shooting.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Old Boot

Robin, straight to the point - as ever. I must say I am achieving much less DoF with my very open Iris and NDs a plenty. This I can cope with. However, a bigger chip will do me no harm AND a 16:9 at that!

I'm still keeping an eye on the mini35 development - I think there is still some more R&D to be squeezed out.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #7
New Boot

you could also depending on space. frame your subject with a tighter focal length and seperate the background futher from the subject allowing for focus definition to be tighter. you should be able to create a shallower depth of field by doing this.
Tim Hupalo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders