warning newbie here. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

warning newbie here.

Hello everyone. I want to say hello and introduce myself and to thank you for the great information I have gathered so far from Lurkland, USA. I just registered and hope to be a contributor soon - but for now I have questions. I am a member of several forums outside of video and know how newbies can test one’s patience, so I hope I don’t cross that line.

I have been a photojournalist for a major metro newspaper for a long time, won my share of accolades in both photojournalism and fine art. I have been able to combine both in my work style as I push out the daily grind.

I bought a Canon Gl-2 and I use a mac G-4 laptop with an external 300 gig hard drive and iMovies. I also carry a small Zr-200 (rebate money) in my camera bag on assignments and have edited a few small stories for the company web site.

Honestly I don’t know where I am going with the video. I’m sure weddings- a shot (stills) 176 of them in the 90's, two more than I should have (LOL). I want to produce and shot documentaries but know there is really no the market for that kind of thing- but I still want to do the stories I have in mind. I am in the early stages of planning two. The GL-2 will be the back up camera- I want to buy a XL-1 or XL-2 within the next year if certainly things work out. Still, film has always been my passion, so I guess video fits right in there.

I'll ask my questions in another post. Thank you- mp
Michael Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Michael! Glad you emerged from the 'shadows'.

I think you're in good company here. Personally I rarely shoot video any more, opting for still photography. But I still keep my hand in video and filmmaking, in general, continues to interest me.

You may be as much of a contributor here as a consumer. One of the deficits that so many newcomers to videography seem to have is a lack of understanding basic photography principals -- which, of course, all apply to videography.

So fire-away with questions when you're ready. But don't be shy about sharing your considerable knowledge of photography, either!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank You

Thanx for the welcome. I probably might know less about the technical side of cameras than most of you. I started with Tri-X and accufine and now use a Nikon D-1H although I personally have own Canons my whole life. Computers have turned me into a techie over the years. I spent more time learning from the pictures of Gene Smith , Josef Koudelka and Sebastiao Salgado than from trade journals- though I wish I had at times.

Anyway- thank you for the welcome and I’m off to read some more threads.

mp
Michael Plunkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders