DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Capturing Video with GL2 bad idea? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/49644-capturing-video-gl2-bad-idea.html)

Steve Sirinides August 20th, 2005 04:06 AM

Capturing Video with GL2 bad idea?

Hey, I was reading in a few posts (and other articles) that it was a good idea to have either a deck or at the very least another cheaper camcorder for capturing video from dv tapes to your computer. I've been using my GL2, and so far so good, but what do you guys think? How important is it that I get another camcorder to do this? Right now I don't have the means or money to do this, but I suppose I could get one by Christmas. I just don't want to wear out my GL2 when a $400 minidv camcorder could be doing the same capturing. Thanks,

Steve

Jesse Parsh August 20th, 2005 08:06 AM

If you can afford a cheaper camera get it. There is no reason you would want to ruin an expensive camera. (or at least wear it faster than need be)

Mathieu Ghekiere August 20th, 2005 08:25 AM

I agree with Jesse, I bought a cheap camcorder for my xl1s too. It puts much wear on your heads, and it's much cheaper to just pay a little cheap camcorder then to let your expensive camera be fixed (and then you can't shoot too).
Best regards,

Michael Plunkett August 20th, 2005 09:17 AM

Check B&H for cam "specials." I bought a ZR-200 to do capture but a kinda like the little bugger so I will be checking the specials again for another underpriced cam. I wish someone would produced a barebone deck for the same price as a cheap cam. I also bought a maxell rewinder.

Patrick Smith August 20th, 2005 06:59 PM

is this a myth?

my buddy always said that when u download it always comes out better if u download from the camera it was recorded on...

so if i filmed with my gl-2, it will come out better if i download from that, iinstead of another mini dv camera

Mathieu Ghekiere August 20th, 2005 07:16 PM

That's a myth. The information is captured on the tape, done deal. You only play it back. Doesn't matter with what, if it only plays minidv.
I always captured my XL1s tapes with a GS200 and before with a 4 years old little 1CCD JVC cam. Worked fine.

Boyd Ostroff August 20th, 2005 07:20 PM

There may be a grain of truth to this myth in some cases. If your camera is getting older the heads may be slightly out of alignment. This could mean that tapes would capture properly using the camera they were recorded on, but you could experience dropouts if using another camera. However the problem would show up as dropouts (a digital breakup of the image), and not a lowering of the overall quality.

David Ennis August 21st, 2005 11:28 AM

eBay is another option for acquiring a good "deck-cam" cheap. A lot of people are upgrading, and legitimately selling off their perfectly good older cams. If it's missing the box and some accessories, it sells for less. All we really need is the AC adapter.

Like Michael above, I also favor using a rewinder and have the Maxell also.