Bad DV pin on my GL-2 DV port... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad DV pin on my GL-2 DV port...

I've had a problem with my PC recognizing my GL-2 when connected via DV (firewire). I sent the GL2 to Canon Factory Service (Irvine) and they just gave me a repair estimate of $252 to "repair a missing DV pin." Bummer.

So... my question is... should I have them repair this, or just purchase a inexpensive (used) Mini DV camcorder which I could use as a dedicated 'deck'? I assume that so long as I record with the GL2, the playback quality of a 'cheap' camcorder should be just as good as on the GL2. (Note: I export the DV footage to PC and then work in Premiere/Encore DVD).

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter...

--Jim
Jim Karrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Jim, and welcome to the threads. If you look two or three threads below this one you'll see mine that's titled "Capturing with GL2 - bad idea?", and I basically asked whether people thought I should get another minidv camera for capturing to my computer, and the overwhelming answer I found (in reply and in other threads) is that yes, it's a very good idea to buy a cheap minidv camcorder for capturing. It takes some strain off of the heads of the expensive GL2 and in your case it'll also give you an extra camera to mess with...look at BH - they have a canon ZR for about $380. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and buy that (or find another one cheaper, if you can), and save yourself the repair fees. Of course, it is a bit of a pain knowing that your GL2 isn't quite working right...but make the most of a bad situation. At least, that's what I say...

Steve
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Fred Retread

And if you really want to economize, you can often grab a pefectly good miniDV "deck" camcorder from eBay that is missing some accessories or something, for $100 or so.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks

Steve and Fred,
Thanks for the replies. Good advice from both of you.
Jim Karrels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders