OS in GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OS in GL2

I have already searched for OS in GL2 but cannot find answer to the question on my mind...why do you need to disable the optical stabilzer when your GL2 is on a tripod? is that really necessary? it would be tedious if you will turn OS off when in tripod then before quick releasing you will turn it on again? really confused on why canon put a note in the manual regarding this. TIA
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Old Boot

This is one of the best threads on this subject, there are many others.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...cal+stabilizer

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Grazie, appreciate this, but still didn't get any concrete answer to satisfy the mind boggling question i have(on my head)

during panning is there any effect why canon want to disable the OS in GL2?
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The OS wants to get all shaky movement out or your picture. But if you make a pan on a tripod, you are deliberately making a movement, but the OS sees it as a movement too and wants to reduce it, so that's why you shouldn't do it.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #5
Tourist

stabilizer automatic turnoff

I have noticed that several canon mini dv camcorders with OS post 8mm days, that seem to have the stabilizer turn off if you are zoomed out and are holding the camera really steady (elbows on arm rests, camera on knee, etc etc. Both the GL1 and the GL2 have this what I consider a problem. Does any one know it other camcorders (ie the Panasonic 30) have this issue???

Johnnston

P.S. It is not the long zoom that naturally does this it is an actual turning off of the stabilizer.
Johnston Blakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #6
New Boot

I have asked the question of Canon uk as to why it is advisable to turn off stabilizer when on tripod. This is their answer:-
quote:
"As the image stabilizer responds to movements of the camera, when the camera is on a tripod, it will not be of any use. You should then turn it off to save battery life. It will not harm the camera if you leave it on."
unquote.

Bit of a weak answer, but I think it boils down to the fact that the IS will try to resist any movement!

Mel.
Mel Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I've tried it both ways - having the VAP on and then off - both times on a tripod. Now I always leave it on. Why?

Well, because not all tripods are rock solid. Not all floors are either. And there was one instance where I was called to the front (filming a stage play). I whipped the cam off the tripod and ran down the centre aisle, and then had to film the entire presentation of awards hand-held.

So? Well, that was the last time I have the OIS turned off, I can tell you. You really appreciate the loss when the technology isn't working with you.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Davies
I have asked the question of Canon uk as to why it is advisable to turn off stabilizer when on tripod. This is their answer:-
quote:
"As the image stabilizer responds to movements of the camera, when the camera is on a tripod, it will not be of any use. You should then turn it off to save battery life. It will not harm the camera if you leave it on."
unquote.

Bit of a weak answer, but I think it boils down to the fact that the IS will try to resist any movement!

Mel.
save battery life?? but is it an OIS meaning the gyro sensors on the lens itself so why does the battery consumed if it is turned on? I think what he is trying to point is with regards to an EIS.

so tom...you always leave the OIS on? then 'll try dping that as well. thanks
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes, an OIS does use battery life. It takes power to run the computer to compensate for movement and the mechanism that shifts the optics. How much is another question.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #10
Wrangler

Bottom line is taht IS, opticalor digital, produce artifacts. With OIS the main artifact is a slight lag, overshoot, and correction when intended camera movements (e.g., pan, tile) starts and stop.

The shooter has to judge whether or not this artifact is worse than the shake from a poor support or unstable floor and use OIS accordiingly. There is no hard fast rule on this, although with a good tripod on a sturdy floor, you can generally do better with OIS turned off.

OIS off does save some battery power, as does not using the LCD screen. However, for a serious shooter with adequate batteries, the savings is not likely to be a significant issue in most cases.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders