DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 LOST at Canon Service Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/49993-gl2-lost-canon-service-center.html)

Tague Hurley August 25th, 2005 01:26 PM

GL2 LOST at Canon Service Center

I took my GL2 into the Irvine service center over a month ago before I left on a trip to Europe. Since I live close by I told them to keep it once it was serviced and Id come back and pick it up when I returned to California. Well a month went by, I checked on the status of my camera online. The website said my camera was done and I owed 240 dollars. Perfect, exactly as planned. Went in to pick it up on a Monday. The first lady went looking, then came to check that she had the right name and was looking for the right camera, and disappeared again. Then the guy I orginally left the camera with took a shot at it and came back saying, "Tague you can go ahead and take off I'll give you a call when we find your camera." Well I've called back twice and they keep telling me to wait. It is Thursday now and I'm just wondering what y'all would do in this situation? Im not really worried. Either they will find the camera or I will get a replacement. The biggest problem I have is I have to shoot something today, and an even more important shoot coming up on Saturday. Should I be more pushy? do I deserve some kind of compensation? Just thought I'd share my situation.
Thanx

Jeremiah Rickert August 25th, 2005 03:49 PM

Compensation...

If they promised to have it done by a certain date...then I think they shouldn't charge you.

At the very least, you should see if they have a customer relations email on the canon usa website and contact them. It's amazing how far companies will go to make customers happy. (of course, it's amazing how far some of them go NOT to help you at times as well). I've had only good dealings with Canon though.

JR

Steve Nunez August 25th, 2005 04:08 PM

I agree- the perfect way of resolving this is to return the camera to you without charge for the repair- they lost it and you made attempts to get it back......would be nice if they recognized your loss of time and fixed it free of charge.

If they lost it- you should get a new unit.

Tague Hurley August 26th, 2005 09:39 AM

Quick Update

Called 3 times yesterday, my fourth day of waiting and wondering. Each time they told me we have notified our manager and he will call you to work something out. At 5:30 the manager called and apologized for the mishap. I was told in all his years at the job nothing like this has ever happened. However he felt that with enough time they would be able to track down my camera. I then asked him what I was supposed to do. I told him I needed to shoot this week, and normally shoot nearly every day. The best solution he could give me was that they had a GL1 I could borrow and I could come pick it up tomorrow. I told him that would work but I would obviously prefer to be using a GL2.

Ill be going to canon shortly to pick up the replacement GL1. Im etremely annoyed, and feel Im being ripped off some how.

that's my story, thanx for the previous comments/suggestions.

searching for my GL2,
Tague

Dennis Parker August 29th, 2005 05:54 AM

If they are still telling you it is missing as of today, I think you should go there and demand a replacement. This is unbelivable!!!

Donovan Kruger August 29th, 2005 07:41 AM

I wonder if this GL1 might be someone else's camera that is in there for repair? Maybe this is how your GL2 "disappeared"... they loaned it out to another customer waiting for a repair?

You wrote that "the website said it was done". Can you find out if the website was updated by the service center itself? If it is, then I would strongly question how they could say a camera is done for which they actually have no camera.

I think it is time to go to the next level above the manager who called you and demand a replacement camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tague Hurley
[...]The best solution he could give me was that they had a GL1 I could borrow and I could come pick it up tomorrow.[...]

Steve Nunez August 29th, 2005 09:15 AM

Although I'd be pissed- I wouldn't worry too much- I'm sure you're gonna get a new GL2 out of this if your unit remains unfound.

Canon has an excellent reputation for customer support- sadly these things happen- I wouldn't hold a grudge against Canon- let's just hope they realize enough time has passed and it's time for you to get a replacement unit.

Keep us posted.
(Good luck)

Ash Greyson August 29th, 2005 02:35 PM

WAY too patient... ask for the managers supervisor, be it regional or whatever. If that doesnt work call Canon headquarters. At this point you will only accept your camera back at NO cost or a new unit. I cant believe how many people let these businesses roll over on them.

I recently had Sears refuse to repair a washer under warranty... when I called all the local news affiliates and told them I was going to be chained to the front door of Sears and to call the manager to find out why, suddenly, they honored the warranty (an extended warranty I PAID for)

STICK IT BACK TO THE MAN!!

ash =o)

Mathieu Ghekiere August 30th, 2005 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I recently had Sears refuse to repair a washer under warranty... when I called all the local news affiliates and told them I was going to be chained to the front door of Sears and to call the manager to find out why, suddenly, they honored the warranty (an extended warranty I PAID for)

STICK IT BACK TO THE MAN!!

ash =o)

You're nuts, Ash... seriously
Héhé, but I like it ;-)
Best regards,
(great story :-p)

Tague Hurley August 30th, 2005 02:32 PM

The Saga Continues

It has been 8 days since they first told me my camera is missing. I've been to the repair center twice and made countless phone calls. Last friday they did give me a replacement GL1 which had a sticker on it that said "refurbished". The camera was in fine condition but I was very unfamliar with it and obviously prefer shooting with my GL2. I've already made my usual morning call to the manager but he was "busy, and would call back later".

Based on my own frustration, damage to business, and your comments I've decided to request a new unit by tomorrow. First that seems to be the only way I can shoot with a GL2 tomorrow, since they have no loaner GL2s. Also I'm wary of accepting my previous camera or a refurbished camera because I think that would be unfair at this point. Who knows where my camera has been, who knows what the refurbished camera has been through. Frankly my camera was in perfect condition and I simply took it in for a routine headcleaning and service. If anybody has phone numbers for canon big wigs that they think I should call I would appreciate it. Im really sick of this and NEED a GL2 to shoot with this week. Thanx again for all your comments. Ill keep you all informed.

Eric Brown August 30th, 2005 11:43 PM

Tague, Ash has got the right idea. Sometimes you have to be a complete maniac to get stuff done. You are headed in the right direction by shooting for the higher ups as well. Make a BIG noise, my man, You'll get some response.
Sorry, I'm not in La Jolla. I'd have been more than happy to help out and operate with my XL2 for you.
Hope all works out.

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2005 12:15 AM

Very generous of you Eric, you're a good man.

For Tague, I think you should start looking for fellow GL2 owners who might be willing to loan their camera or operate for you... try posting in our Helping Hands section. You need to find someone like Eric who's in your area.

Meanwhile if I were you, I'd call every day to check the status of your case. Be very, very polite. And be persistant. Good luck,

Tague Hurley August 31st, 2005 12:48 AM

More Waiting

The manager whose name is Doug, never called back today. I called again at the end of the day and spoke to the customer service telephone operator named Shandra. This is the third operator I've spoken to, and definately the least helpful. She first told me Doug still couldn't speak to me, and there was nothing she could do. She asked me to wait until thursday, at which time the manager will call me to work something out. I was taken aback at first. I asked her if that meant I could expect a GL2 by Thursday. She said no, it just meant he would talk to me then. I then asked if she could give me his direct line. She couldn't. My last simple question was if she could give me the number to Doug's supervisor. Again she could not do this. The whole time I imagined Doug jumping around in front of her desk mouthing the words, "tell him I'm not here!" She kept asking me to be patient and at least give him until Thursday, JUST two more days. In the end I wasted another day trying to retrieve MY camera, that I was planning on paying them to service. Now it seems they have stolen my camera and really don't want to give it back. They have expressed very little sympathy for my unlucky situation. I feel helpless to the point that I'd like to hire a lawyer, I have no idea what my rights are at this point, and I'm sure I deserve more than this. I found the Canon USA phone number which I believe is for the building right next door to the canon service center in Irvine. 949-753-4000. Ill try that tomorrow. Other than that I will not be shooting with my GL2 tomorrow, I think ill take the day off and go surfing.

Donovan Kruger August 31st, 2005 06:25 AM

Here is the corporate office contact information. Maybe you can get a hold of a supervisor this way.
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
One Canon Plaza
Lake Success, NY 11042
Phone: 516-328-5000

If you haven't heard from them by Thursday, consider the BBB process before contacting a lawyer. Document every call (date, time, name of contact) while they are still in your mind. Also document every lost assignment that resulted from a fair and reasonable expectation of having this equipment back in your hands as documented by their own status web page. Don't expect immediate results, so plan your GL2 needs accordingly.

http://www.bbb.org/complaint.asp

Better Business Bureaus accept complaints that meet the following criteria:

* The complaint includes the complainant's name and postal address;
* The complaint includes the company's name and provides sufficient information to determine the company's location. A mail address or phone number (except for toll-free numbers) will ordinarily be sufficient;
* The complaint seeks assistance from the Better Business Bureau;
* The complaint is from a customer, or the customer's authorized representative, of the company complained about. Authorized representatives include lawyers and guardians or caretakers who are filing on behalf of minor children, the elderly, or persons with disabilities;
* The complaint relates to a marketplace issue (see below for a list of complaints we cannot handle);
* The complaint alleges a problem experienced with the services or products that the company provided or agreed to provide;
* The complaint is not in litigation and has not been resolved by a previous court action, arbitration, or settlement between the parties; and
* The complaint contains no abusive language.

Chris Hurd August 31st, 2005 06:52 AM

Also, Tague, if I were you, I'd return that GL1 to them immediately. The longer you hang on to it, the stronger their argument becomes that you've accepted it as a replacement, which from their point of view would mean that this case is resolved. That's not what you want, so take the GL1 back today and tell them that you won't settle for anything less than your camera or a properly functioning replacement GL2. And just as important, make sure that you get a receipt of some kind that proves that you've returned the GL1. An old GL1 is no substitute for your GL2 and having it in your posession only weakens your position. Take it back today.