DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shooting weddings with GL2 and Digital 8 question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/50118-shooting-weddings-gl2-digital-8-question.html)

John Stanley August 27th, 2005 02:00 PM

Shooting weddings with GL2 and Digital 8 question.

Hi,
I'm wanted some opinions about filming weddings with one GL2 and a Digital 8 camera.
I am trying to get my business started and want to film weddings on a regular basis. I have done lots of video work for businesses, but that just required using one camera, which is what I used my GL2 for.
I've done a few weddings here and there, but it's not been my focus until now. I've found out that I really enjoy shooting weddings and want to do it full-time.
I have been holding out for a new Canon HDV camera. I absolutely love my GL2, and want to see what Canon does before I jump ship to another manufacturer.
I talked to a photographer the other day who watched one of the weddings I did on DVD. He said at this point, not to buy any equipment as he thought the video, even switching between a 3-chip and 1-chip camera, looked really good. And, that the average person wouldn't notice the difference anyway since I only use the Digital 8 for wide shots of the church.
Is anyone using a 3-chip/1-chip setup like this? I know that I need to get a better second camera, but what is everyone's opinion on my current set up, even if it is temporary?
Thanks in advance,
- John
BTW, I firewire the GL2 to another Digital 8 camera for recording and I get zero dropouts. Just a little info for someone who might have a Digital 8 laying around. :)

Mathieu Ghekiere August 27th, 2005 03:35 PM

I would maybe buy a second GL2 or even a GL1.
I think it will be easier to cut between the two.
Now, if you can do the job with the GL2 and the Digital 8 camcorder, without people complaining, then you could maybe say: why would I buy a new one?
But for editing and mixing the shots, it would make your job easier I suppose.

BTW: HDV is a lot more difficult to edit (you need more power) and there aren't that many people that ask for High Definition, so HDV really isn't a must. If you buy a HDV camcorder I think it will be again very difficult to cut between the footage of a GL2 and a HDV camcorder.

Don Palomaki August 28th, 2005 06:38 AM

If you and your paying customers are happy, no need to do anything for the time being.

However, I would expect a D8 camcorder not to do anywhere near as well as the GL2 well in the marginal light situations often encountered at weddings - resulting in weak color saturation and video noise. A second GL2 might be the best match for your system - but at ~3 years on the market it is probably appraching the end of its production life (based on past Canon practice of 3-year product life for their highend models (XL1, GL1, XL1s, L1, L2, etc.)) and a replacement model could be in the wings.

Bottom line is do what makes business sense for your operaion.

John Stanley August 28th, 2005 11:05 AM

Thanks for your replies.
The main difference in mixing shots is the difference in colors, especially since the Digital 8 has no manual white balance. So, a new camera would make my job easier in post.
I'm sort of stuck because I think the GL2 may be revamped soon, and I know that the day I buy another GL2 or a used GL1, Canon will make an announcement. It's the story of my life. :)
But, no one has said a word about using different cameras or the look of the final product. I am a lilttle dissapointed in the footage when I look at it, and I'm really self-conscious when I'm setting up the little Digital 8 in the back of the church. Maybe I should add a lens hood and wait a couple of months. hehe
Thanks - John

John Stanley August 28th, 2005 05:51 PM

Actually, I haven't seen video shot with an HDV camera. But, I think Canon will have something out within a couple of months, at the most. They're $250 rebate keeps getting pushed back, and expires again on September 30th.
Getting back to my main question is whether it's acceptable to use a lower end 1-chip in a 2 camera set up. I am only going for the low end market right now anyway. But, that's because of my not having 2 pro-level cameras. But, has anyone ever questioned you on the type of camera's you use...that's what I'm wondering. No one has ever thought to ask me. I think I'm going for a price shopping customer anyway, at this point. But, it is holding me back to not have 2 nice cameras, even if it is something that I'm stressing myself out about.
- John
BTW, I've read that some videographers only use 1 camera, and I guess they get cut away shots before the ceremony. So having a not-so-good 2nd camera may be OK until I figure out what to buy and what's coming out.

Michael Gebben August 28th, 2005 07:17 PM

I shoot with a GL2 & Digital 8.

I shoot weddings with a GL2 and Sony Digital 8 camcorder and have had no complaints. I can definately tell the difference but I'm very picky. Sometimes you've got to realize that with people who aren't savy with video won't notice 90% of what will bother you. Now if you filmed somebody in this forums wedding they might have a problem with it. I'm definately very happy with the GL2 and wish I had 2. But right now it is not a problem and I'm also waiting to see what canon brings out in the HD world instead of pumping $2000 into another GL2. HD just has so much to offer I don't care what anyone says and it's definately the future. I'd like to quote something Douglas Spotted Eagle said "HD separates the men from the boys" and I truly believe that. There is products out there that allow you to edit HD right now on the computer you have just as if it were DV. Gearshift is great product. Check it out on www.vasst.com Hey man bottom line as long as you are giving people a quality product that you put your all into that's all that matters and most people aren't going to complain about that. I wish you the best of luck. Take care

John Stanley August 28th, 2005 07:53 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
It's good to know, Michael, that I'm not alone with my set up. Have you tried firewiring your Canon to Digital 8? It may not work in a 2 camera set up if you have only 1 other D8, but if you have to shoot something with just your GL2, you might try it. (Actually, try it BEFORE a big event, just in case. :) )
I think, too, that HD is going to leave everything else behind, and soon. I wish I had a crystal ball because I would love to know what Canon is coming out with and how much it's going to cost. As far as editing goes, you can get a Mac mini and it will run iMovie HD (comes with it) and even Fincal Cut Pro. I know because I have a system that is older and less powerful than any new Mac. So, for $499 you can have a full system, I'm thinking of getting an iBook or a Powerbook, but I, again, am waiting to see what happens with the Mac expo in a few weeks, and with Apple's transition to Intel chips. I guess I'm just impatient, but I am waiting those 2 things out - Canon HD and Apple's new stuff.
- John

Jeremiah Rickert August 29th, 2005 12:24 AM

extra cam

I've seen GL2's down to around $1000 and some GL1's (all used of course) for less than $1000. So you could probably find a good deal for a second cam no problems.

JR

Don Palomaki August 29th, 2005 03:50 AM

Before jumping to HD, consider what your market/customer community wants, and when it will make the migration to HD format for playback. The low end market segment is probably severaly years from beginning the switch to HD.

If you are running a business (not a hobby) until your paying customer base wants HD and is willing to pay for it, and your competition is doing HD, from a business prerspective HD mainly separates the men from their $$$$.

Color matching will work best if you shoot another GL2, or perhaps a GL1 or an XL series Canon. It will be difficult to get a good color match with virtually any 1-CCD camcord, and even other brand 3-CCD may take some effort to get a good color match.

But keep in mind that the paying customer's opinion rules.

BTW: from what I've read, most D8 camcorders had what amounted to essentially a Hi8 camera head.