Sending in For Repairs... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Tourist

Sending in For Repairs...

I have to admit after reading some of the horror stories here about people sending in their GL2s to Canon to be serviced, I'm more than a little worried about what to expect. I have a out of warranty GL2 , and the zoom on the side's gone south on me. I KNOW I've got to get it fixed, but what should I expect? What measures should I take to make sure it isn't lost, or make sure I don't get charged an absurd amount for the repairs? Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice!

DeMarcus
DeMarcus Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

DeMarcus,

As you are in Waco, mid-continent essentially, I'd sent it to the New Jersey center. Most of the horror stories are coming out of Irvine, California.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the tip there! I'll certainly will, thanks!

DeMarcus
DeMarcus Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

get insurance, a tracking # and have it followed by a carrier pidegeon with a homing transmiter stapled to his leg.
Jason Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Tourist

missing pixils

I have since moved on and only use my GL1 as a deck now but this really pissied me off about 5 years ago I bought my camera for about $2800 treated it with kids gloves and less than 2 years later I noticed a missing pixil then another then another and so on

what causes this and what can be done about it?
Lonnie Matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Canon will Estimate

DeMarcus,
Canon will prepare an estimate for the repairs to your camera. They will not perform the repairs until you approve the estimate and provide for payment.

Canon uses a standard minimum charge that will cover cleaning, alignment, and replacement of some parts, e.g. the drum. I do not know if the minimum charge will cover the zoom rocker repair. The minimum charge is approximately $272 including shipping the camera back to you. It will vary slightly since the cost of shipping will vary for different areas of the country.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders