Strange Gray Lines in GL2 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Strange Gray Lines in GL2 Footage

Per my other post did pre-purchase shooting at camera store with GL2 and VX2000 compared to my old TRV9. In one dimly lit shot GL2 showed wavy gray lines top to bottom (like looking at scene through clear plastic which had broad translucent gray lines on it) when viewing footage on TV screen with nothing unusual showing for same scene shot with VX2000. Any thoughts why GL2 had this? Recognize GL2 has 20X zoom vs 12X for VX2000.

Conditions: low fluorescent light, GL2 and VX2000 had manually adjusted white balance, scene was red ladies jacket with black dots connected by black lines design on it. Cameras at same spot about 20 feet from jacket, zoomed to full optical limit. Red jacket fills screen for both GL2 and VX2000. Took DV tapes and using TRV9 at home to play back out through Y/C plug into consumer level JVC TV (same for all viewing). Store expert shooting GL2 and VX2000 and he is steering me to GL2 primarily because it is "newer technology" and signal processing he feels offsets larger CCD's of VX2000. So far, other than gray line thing I have not picked out huge differences in video between VX2000 and GL2 in the variety of outdoor and indoor shooting done for test.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 02:23 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Difficult to say without seeing a frame-grab of the video. One factor which could affect this might be the program mode... "green box" easy recording mode vs. low light, manual, color night shot, etc. In other words, there really isn't enough information to properly explain what you saw.

<< he is steering me to GL2 primarily because it is "newer technology" and signal processing he feels offsets larger CCD's of VX2000. >>

I would have to agree. There is actually little physical difference in the size of 1/3 inch CCD's vs. 1/4 inch CCD's and that's pretty much a non-issue (there is, however, a fairly substantial difference between 1/2 inch CCD's and 1/3 inch CCD's). The GL2 is newer and this does make a difference.

The right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands, and provides the most pleasing look to your eye on a professional video monitor, and has the most comfortable and intuitive (to you subjectively) layout of controls. Nothing else matters, not tech specs, numbers or anything else. These cameras have far greater things in common with each other than any real differences.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris

Trying to shorten my notes, accidentally left out camera settings were full auto "green box" with exception of white balance adjustments. Given my novice status didn't know if gray lines are recognized phenomenon that can routinely occur under known conditions. Thank you for other good advice and it doesn't look like I will go far wrong with either GL2 or VX2000.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders