DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Yet Another GL2 Horror Story (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/50778-yet-another-gl2-horror-story.html)

Tom Johnston September 9th, 2005 01:20 AM

Yet Another GL2 Horror Story

Okay, So I originally purchased my GL2, close to a year ago now. I started experiencing the power off problem shortly after winter. Great right? My feelings exactly. Clueless as to what was causing this. I seeked the web to see what I could find and bam I arrive here, to 300 other people having the same problem.

Already shady on sending my camera in for the first time after hearing other peoples stories, I had no other option but to deal with the random power off or send it. So I send it in. 5 or 6 long weeks later I receive back the same camera. Apparently the "main circuit board was replaced." Go out for the first time in 5 or so weeks planning to shoot free of problems. Within two minutes the power off problem was happening all over again.

Frustrated as all hell, I send it back... praying that it's done right this time. Again, another 5-6 weeks without a camera go by. The time comes, I pick up my camera at the store I had send it through to Canon, where I originally purchased the camera. I was told it was replaced with a NEW camera so that boosted my spirits a bit.

I arrive and they get out the camera. I take a look at it. It had been replaced with a refurbished camera. This camera had clearly been used as there were marks all over it. A bit dissapointed, I take it home anyway to see if it even works. Halfway home, I discover it doesn't have the internal battery inside the LCD; which I had originally sent with my camera. Back to the store I go. Understanding of the problems I had already gone through, they supplied one free of charge.

I get home and gave the camera a deeper inspection under a bright light. Only to find a massive scratch all the way across the lens. Faint but clearly visible when light hit the surface. Thoughts were flying through my head. What else could possibly go wrong right?

I return the camera the next day to the store to send it back to Canon. Even they were amazed by what I was going through. With the camera, I typed up a nice long letter of what I was experiencing. Which I had done previously when I first encountered the power off problem. I specifically asked them to replace it with a NEW camera. So again 5 weeks go by without a camera. Not to mention that MY camera hasn't even hit its one year anniversary yet. So it is still under warranty.

Weeks go by another camera comes in. I go to pick it up... still a refurbished camera, but at this point about any camera would please me. Still minor wear on the body. Myself, disgusted. They told me to go home and test it out. So I do that... once again within 5 minutes the camera shuts off then right back on. Not once but probably about 65 times within an hour period. I was then about ready to blow, as I've had friends with $200 Mini DV cameras for over 4 yrs. that have operated better.

To think that I forked roughly 3 grand for this product and that I haven't had it all summer makes me sick. Also, the fact that they obviously cannot repair this problem is a huge issue. I treated my camera like a baby. Sent it in mint condition with the power off problem only. In return get way worse condition refurbished cameras, not even in working order, which I have no idea where they have been and used and how long they will last. I feel if they cannot repair the problem on my original purchase, they should REPLACE it with a NEW product. Not some refurbished used garbage. If I wanted a used camera, I could've bought one for alot less then I payed for a brand new one.

In conclusion A CAMERA, I wont even call it mine, is at the service center AGAIN. Probably to be sitting in a box for some 3 weeks to be looked at for 5 minutes then sent back. I don't even know what to expect this time. In the future I won't be purchasing Canon products. That's a fact. A few of my friends have had Sony VX series cameras (VX2000/VX2100) almost 2 yrs. and have absolutley no problems. Thoughts of demanding a refund have crossed my mind. But well see what happens when a product is returned.

Lastly, I don't see a bright future for GL2's if this many people have gone through this problem and this kind of treatment with service and what not. From what I've read they cannot repair this problem. Meaning in which any camera they replace yours with will probably do the same thing over time. A recall or refund sounds more then resonable to me. More on this later...

Stephanie Wilson September 9th, 2005 02:00 AM

"In return get way worse condition refurbished cameras, not even in working order, which I have no idea where they have been and used and how long they will last. I feel if they cannot repair the problem on my original purchase, they should REPLACE it with a NEW product. Not some refurbished used garbage. If I wanted a used camera, I could've bought one for alot less then I payed for a brand new one."

Dear Tom,

This is one of the worst camera horror scenarios I could ever imagine.

My sympathies to you....

All I can offer is to urge you to somehow contact the President or CEO of Canon and demand a new camera. The fact that they are replacing your $3,000 new camera with a questionable used and refurbished one that has a scratched lens and unknown hours is totally unacceptable.
Try google.com to find the Canon personnel hierarchy. If you're not successful, I will gladly do what I can to help you find the appropriate recourse. You may also want to threaten them with going to the Better Business Bureau and Bizrate.com with your complaints. I'd do that tomorrow in any case...and alert Canon of these complaints. I think you will be surprized with their quick efforts to resolve your problem. You must be pro-active in demanding your rights in these situations.

Good luck buddy,

Stephanie

Graham Bernard September 9th, 2005 02:02 AM

This is not good!

I think we must have stronger and more "urgent" consumer laws here in the UK. Depending on what the item is I immeadiatley go NEW replacement OR money back, right here right now, period! If I bought new, I GET new! No questions. Polite, but firm.

Not good . ..

Grazie

Jay Gladwell September 9th, 2005 06:09 AM

Tom, just reading your story made my stomach knot up, and it wasn't even my camera!

I agree with Graham. Too many of you folks are way too patient, too forgiving. When it comes to high-ticket items, like video cameras costing thousands of dollars, you need to be more forceful--polite, but FIRM, like Graham said. Be insistent!

And I also agree with Stephanie, call Canon USA and demand to speak to someone in authority and get this fixed once and for all.

Jay

Ash Greyson September 9th, 2005 09:57 AM

Someone gather the various stories from here and let's send them to EVERY SINGLE video related publication and website. Canon must answer for these incompetent service centers.

ash =o)

Richard Alvarez September 9th, 2005 11:08 AM

Tom,
Any idea which Canon center it was sent to? New Jersey or California?

Tom Johnston September 9th, 2005 11:18 AM

Thank you to all who have read my story. If any of you have information on contacting Canon U.S.A. or the company CEO, please post. I will take charge as soon as I can aquire information. I need to get this resovled as soon as possible.

Also, Canon claims they don't produce GL2's anymore and they're aren't any new ones at the service center. I kind of find it hard to believe that the companies factory doesn't have atleast a few brand new ones laying around. I mean hey, the stores still carry them. They least they could do is order me one or something, for all that I have been through.

I feel for those experiencing the same type of problems. I hate to even imagine what I would be in, if I didn't have a warranty right now. The money they would try to suck out of me for service and what not. Honestly the only thing keeping me going, is knowing what this product is capable of when it works. Also, knowing that I'm not going to get cheated out of $3,000.

Geoff Holland September 9th, 2005 11:45 AM

Credit card?

Did you purchase it with a credit card? If so, does that give you any benefits of extra insurance or anything that may help? A phone call to Visa, for example? If not, go and stand outside Canons' HQ with a giant plackard...!

Jay Gladwell September 9th, 2005 01:02 PM

Canon U.S.A., Inc.
One Canon Plaza
Lake Success, NY 11042
Phone: 516-328-5000

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., April 1, 2005 — Canon U.S.A., Inc., headquarters for Canon operations in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean, has announced the appointment of Yoroku Adachi as the company's new President and CEO effective today. Adachi has also been named a Managing Director on Canon Inc.'s Board of Directors.

Bob Harotunian September 9th, 2005 02:29 PM

"To think that I forked roughly 3 grand for this product "

How did you end up spending $3,000 for a GL2? Every time I checked B&H around a year ago, prices were around $2300 before rebate. You should have gone on-line for purchase.

Something doesn't sound right because I had my GL2s serviced directly by Canon NJ and they were more than competent and prompt. I suspect your retailer is playing games with you.

Tom Johnston September 9th, 2005 07:16 PM

The retailer isn't playing games with me. I originally purchased it from the store because I didn't trust ordering online. The total price payed was about 2,800$ with everything. This including a BP-930 series battery, tapes, lens cloths and what not. With tax nocked on... a rough gross amount would be about 3 grand. The camera after the mail-in rebate was $2,250. Keep in mind I did buy it in a store and 6 percent sales tax add's up rather fast. I completely trust the store in which I bought it from because all they do is send it to Canon. At there expense, not mine. They have nothing to do with the repair/replace process. They basically function as the "mailbox" so to speak. It also saved me alot of hassle with packaging and paying for shipping there and back. Thus why I sent it through them. Leaving them responsible if it was lost/damaged in the process. It has gone to the New Jersey service center each time. And with everyone elses problems I've read about here, I'm not suprised by what I'm going through. I mean hey, if the camera would work I wouldn't be going through all of this right? Each persons situation is different with repairs and what not. Canon has obviously been able to repair other problems. But on everything I've read, they've just replaced peoples cameras who have encountered the power off problem. In most cases I'm guessing other people have been returned a refurbished camera as well.

Jay Gladwell September 10th, 2005 06:23 AM

Tom, did you try to reach Mr. Adachi?

Jay

Eric Brown September 10th, 2005 09:56 AM

Is the "lemon law" just for cars or does it extend to other consumer products as well? I think Apple computer has a policy that if one of their computers goes in for warranty repair three times within a certain time frame they give you a brand new unit (not refurbished).
Might want to bring that up in your conversation with whoever you talk to at Canon.
And, just for the record, if you have the ability. I highly recommend even a good, used current incarantion XL2 .
Going on 5 months without a single problem or complaint. (knock on wood, down on my knees praying to God).
Best of luck.

Marius Luessi September 10th, 2005 11:49 AM

A really basic question: how are you powering your GL2? Could it be that you are powering all these cams with the same power source, i.e. a battery? Maybe THAT battery is the problem and not the cam?

Sorry, don't mean to be critical, just offering some help.
Or is Canon actually acknowledging a fault in the cams?

Cheers,
Marius
---------

Tom Johnston September 10th, 2005 03:06 PM

Canon has tested the batteries. A bp-915 and a bp-930. Both are fine. The problem is the camera. I have sent both in numerous times when I sent the camera.