DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Change to good news? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/50831-change-good-news.html)

Dale Guthormsen September 9th, 2005 11:11 PM

Change to good news?

I understand these lists often times draw a lot of negative topics.

It would be really nice to hear about some of the cool things you have done with your gl2's.

Last May I sat a blind up near a sharp tailed grouse lek and filmed them dancing and courting. I got some fantastic footage at dawn (4:30 am) and even with the low light, the sun was not even up, I got some amazing footage. I figure by next spring I will have enough footage to make a polished 30 minute film. Just the other day I got footage of 1/2 grown baby grouse strutting around like they own the universe. shortly there after we had one of those gorgeous prairie sunsets that that you do not look at but rather become engulfed by to finish the day.

To date the only failure with my gl2 has been my in ability to use it as well as it was desigened

Gus

Jason Chang September 10th, 2005 12:44 AM

Canon GL2

While I do sympathize with those who've had problems with their GL2s, I have to say that I've never, ever had problems with my GL2. It has been a reliable camera for me, and I have enjoyed many of the features on this camera.

James Bright September 11th, 2005 04:54 AM

Refurbished GL2

I feel very sad by hearing all these horror stories.
I bought my XM2 from ebay as a refurbished product from canon.
But my camera was as good as new.
I had no probs with that ever since I bought it!
It functions superb and my friends say that I can even make a movie with that!
God bless our XM2/GL2s.

James

Sean Hansen September 13th, 2005 05:58 AM

My GL2

After a HUGE amount of online research, deciding what my budget could afford, and what is available here in Montreal. I warily decided on the Canon, of course after grilling the asst. Manager at the store about all these horror stories I have been reading & what I can expect service-wise after purchasing the camera. Good store by the way, great help, knowledgeable people, very friendly service & damn good pricing.

Anyhow, one day my wife came in and told me, "The camera won't run!". After a bunch of curses, and "I KNEW this would happen". I took it to the Canon service centre. They had told me anywhere from 2-4 weeks it would be back. Grreeeaaattt... But I was prepared for this, I read it here how long it could actually take.

Came back 4 days later, replaced the zoom rocker and cassette open switch. I couldn't believe my eyes, the camera STILL didn't work because they fixed the wrong thing! Sent it back on a Thursday, got it back the following Tuesday. Hmm...The service clerk told me, "Someone had put the 'Lock switch' into lock position....Nothing wrong with the camera...Imagine a dude, a tall dude, an angry dude now turned into a red faced smiling sheepishly and apologizing dude... Seems my wife was used to our old camera Optura 10, which had the power switch sitting in the exact same place as the lock switch on the GL2...

If only I had checked that...But all these horror stories I had read biased me on an amazing camera. I have had it for over a year now, and have shot about 60 tapes full with it in all kinds of conditions, and nothing but perfect results. It's always been "ready and rarin' to go" when I needed it.

I have done shots with it mounted on a car, in a car, on a jet boat, from my bike, upside down, on a train, subway, down by the beach when super humid/moist. Nothing, not complaint, sputter, just solid work out of this camera. I feel bad that I babied this camera so much in the beginning and never tried to push the envelope and see what it was capable of. It really can take it and come back for more!

It's been a great camera to learn from, and I am glad I ended up choosing the GL2!

Sean

Dale Guthormsen September 13th, 2005 11:12 PM

sean's post

Sean,

Thank you for the positive post!! I have grown very fond of my gl2. I discover more qualities about it all the time!! I have found much of the poor light production I had in the beginning I have done away with by going to TV mode and adjusting the light from there!! Late evening, sunset, & darkness now looks terrific.
I want to try some night shoting next.

I hope I have the same experience you have had, so far so good!!

Gus

Sean Hansen September 14th, 2005 08:12 AM

You bet!

Hi Dale,

Yup, I have done some night shooting at our International Airport here in Montreal. I didn't even use manual controls for it either. And the video looks sweet. The viewfinder doesn't do it any justice at all. But when I came home and popped it into my NLE. Wow, lots of detail, absolutely no grain, no color bleeding. I just bought a Fig Rig so I can mount my xlr adapter and shotgun mic to it. It's quite a cool piece of equipment when you are out on the town doing shoots that require some unusual camera positioning. Very nice and stable when walking/stairs/on a bike/etc. Wide angle lense/Fisheye lense/filtres. The things I was able to buy on my budget after deciding to purchase this camera was great. And the fact that the lense size is the same as my sony digital camera comes in handy as I can swap the extra lenses/filtres with it! The only thing I wish I had was a firestore drive to do tapeless recording. But the laptop works well for most of my filming needs.

I am truly glad I spent less and went with the gl2 for my budget. It's been a great learning experience with this little gem! Not to mention the size and weight makes it easy to fit in anywhere (was looking at the xl2 before buying the gl2) you need it no matter the area size.

I hope more people will post in here about it as well. So we can hear their good stories with this camera.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Sean