Canon GL-2 Camcorder Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon GL-2 Camcorder Conversion

Good evening all,
I pray this is the right place to post for what I am looking for since I am brand new here. Please be gentle. I have been tasked to make video (DVD's) and video that can be transfered to YouTube. My church uses 2 Canon GL2 camcorders to video church services on Sunday and other special events. I will want to transfer video from these camcorders to my Asus Computer then to CD's.

Is there a way to transfer video files from the camera directly into my computer in order to make a CD that will be used to make duplicate CD's for church members? As those with lots of experience, you will note that I am stumbling here because I really don't know if I am asking the right questions. I am not at all familiar with the Canon GL-2's.

I am wondering if a simple USB cable can be used to transfer video files directly to a computer to make a master CD? Thank you for your patience and time all. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

bob
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon GL-2 Camcorder Conversion

When you say CD, I think you mean DVD. CD usually refers to an audio disc and it doesn't hold as much data. DVD's on the other hand typically refer to something you put video on and watch with a TV/DVD Player/computer. There are technical exceptons to both of these statements but sticking to the term DVD will make things easier.

Each camera records video and audio to miniDV tape or sends the video to a switcher where someone can choose which camera is used to project. If you want to record a service, that is the signal you want to record as you get the camera selection done for you. Lacking that, you need have each camera record to tape and edit it yourself. The camera operators need to press record and change tapes etc.

You will need a camera or playback deck that can play those tapes that hooks up to your computer. Most cameras/decks of that era use Firewire not USB. With a computer with Firewire, you then capture the video/audio on each tape.... aka you ingest the tapes. Once on your computer, you need a video editor that works with the DV format those cameras record. The video from each tape will be pretty large (3.5 megabytes per second). After you edit it all together, you need to export your masterpiece from your editor to a program for mastering DVDs. Maybe it's part of your editor, maybe not.

Macintosh computers with Firewire ports came with iMovie for editing and iDVD for mastering DVDs so you had what you needed on the computer side. Still need a camera/deck that can playback the tapes. Be forwarned, tapes recorded in LP mode are not guaranteed to be compatible with other cameras/decks. Only SP mode recorded tapes. SP tapes record 60 minutes.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mr. Wilson I really appreciate your quick response. It will take me some time to digest what you are saying here. I had no idea getting the video from the Canon GL2 would require so much effort. You are right, I was referring to DVD's and not CD's for video transfers. This appears to be a more complex process than I thought. I am sure the church will not want to purchase any additional equipment. I've got to see how they have put videos on YouTube in the past.

Maybe a better questions would be, how would I transfer video recordings of church services to YouTube without having to add other hardware or is this possible?? Thank you very much sir.

bob
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I imagine there's a computer somewhere that records the output of the switcher. That file is then trimmed/edited, compressed and uploaded to Youtube. If you get that file, you are left with the step of mastering a DVD and duplicating it. Of course your DVD software needs to accept the video format of your recording .....
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi, Bob..............

Think you've walked into a bit of a snake pit on this one.

You say two cameras? How are they being used?

Is a switcher being used or is there some other mechanism involved?

Is there any editing of the tapes from both being done (are they even using tapes?)?

If it's a switcher, what type of feed is it switching? Firewire? Component? Composite?

This question is interesting:

Quote:
......how would I transfer video recordings of church services to YouTube without having to add other hardware....
Rather than assume anything, I think the best answer I can give you is to suggest you do a thorough audit of the entire installation, the available equipment and editing software [ if any], operational practises, past procedures and expected future results, you may have to twist some arms to get the information (do you guys do that?) but you really need it.

A brief rundown on your experience/ qualifications for tackling this job would be in order, and "I was the only one stupid enough to put my hand up" isn't going to inspire shed loads of confidence.

With so many holes in the knowledge base here I'm not about to walk/ jump into the "but this should work" snake pit with you.

With all the above information gleaned, it may well be that there is a very simple solution, but, my crystal ball having run fresh out of batteries (bugger, just in time for Christmas too!) at this point I'm just going to have to do it the good 'ol fashioned "Sherlock Holmes" way, though there's just enough grunt from the 'ol CB to tell me you probably have a steep learning curve coming your way, how's that for a prediction?

Over to you, and whatever you do - please, don't call me "Sir" or "Mr", it's Chris.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I imagine there's a computer somewhere that records the output of the switcher. That file is then trimmed/edited, compressed and uploaded to Youtube. If you get that file, you are left with the step of mastering a DVD and duplicating it. Of course your DVD software needs to accept the video format of your recording .....
Good Thursday morning Les and thank you for your response. Yes there is a computer at church, but the secretary uses it for admin stuff. I don't know, but have to assume that since they use the Canon GL2 they also record church services to min tapes. That's all I know right now. I will be back with more info later. Thanks so much.

bob
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Hi, Bob..............

Think you've walked into a bit of a snake pit on this one.

You say two cameras? How are they being used?

Is a switcher being used or is there some other mechanism involved?

Is there any editing of the tapes from both being done (are they even using tapes?)?

If it's a switcher, what type of feed is it switching? Firewire? Component? Composite?

This question is interesting:

Rather than assume anything, I think the best answer I can give you is to suggest you do a thorough audit of the entire installation, the available equipment and editing software [ if any], operational practises, past procedures and expected future results, you may have to twist some arms to get the information (do you guys do that?) but you really need it.

A brief rundown on your experience/ qualifications for tackling this job would be in order, and "I was the only one stupid enough to put my hand up" isn't going to inspire shed loads of confidence.

With so many holes in the knowledge base here I'm not about to walk/ jump into the "but this should work" snake pit with you.

With all the above information gleaned, it may well be that there is a very simple solution, but, my crystal ball having run fresh out of batteries (bugger, just in time for Christmas too!) at this point I'm just going to have to do it the good 'ol fashioned "Sherlock Holmes" way, though there's just enough grunt from the 'ol CB to tell me you probably have a steep learning curve coming your way, how's that for a prediction?

Over to you, and whatever you do - please, don't call me "Sir" or "Mr", it's Chris.

CS
Chris, good morning to you. My wife and I got a good laugh while I read your response because you hit my situation "dead on the head". In particular, I did volunteer to help out because I will be trying to move the videos away from YouTube with it's various commercials, to "My Video Talk". My Video Talk is a video program that will permit my pastor to broadcasts his services as well as send out video emails to members and first time visitors. My Video Talk will also permit him to do live conference calls. This program just became available to us. The idea as I see it, is to convert the video files from the GL2 to files that the My Video Talk program can use. Then it will also be my responsibility to make the DVD's for church members of each service. You all have laid out a set of questions I must have answered before I can proceed with this project. Thanks so much for all input. I will be back with more answers I hope later.

bob
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the feedback, Bob..............

I try to give the folks a bit of a laugh, it can get a bit intense here sometimes.

As I'm a lazy sod, would you mind throwing me a link to "My Video Talk" so I can get some sort of idea what it's all about, it's a new one on me?

I'll stay tuned for the next exciting epi.........ahhhhhgh, I could have sworn I took that damn 'gator out of the bath!

CS
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You cannot connect the GL2 to your Asus computer via USB and capture video. That connection is just to transfer stills. You need a computer with Firewire and use that connection on the GL2. Your video editing software such as Movie Maker will do the capture.

As I wrote previously, if there is no recording device such as a computer or dvd recorder or tape recorder that is connected to the output of a video switcher, then you will have to capture the mini-dv tapes into your computer and edit together what you want. BTW, somewhere in this mess, you need to make sure the audio you want is being sent to the camera or other device that is actually recording what you are going to edit. DOn't depend on a great result if your audio is done by the sound guy on CD. That's 44.1K and video on the GL2 records audio at 48K..... more headaches.

Windows Movie Maker will work with the GL2 video but again, you need a Firewire capability. To be honest, you can save yourself a lot of headaches if you just picked up a used iMac with iMovie and iDVD (you can buy the iLife package if it doesn't already have them). That has the software and Firewire port you need. Then, you bring home a GL2, the recorded tapes and with a $5 FIrewire cable, capture the video and edit what you want. When done, you export your video for the web or iDVD or both.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Some churches record directly to a consumer DVD "recorder". This can be from firewire (if the DVD recorder has it) or from the 'S' connector for analogue.
The DVD files can then be brought into any computer video editor or go directly to the duplication machine.
I have no stake in the company, but they have always done me good regarding duplication equipment.
"Kingdom Tapes"
They are experts on every level from the starving church budget to the high end budget, and will know exactly how to set you up economically and with simplicity.
Try not to spend a lot of money buying a lot of gadgets, especially if there are few who can run or maintain the stuff.
Henry Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Wrangler

If you just want to make simple DVD recordings without editing or switching between camcorders, a DVD recorder such as the Toshiba DR430 (Under $100) can do the trick. Only a bit more difficult to use than a typical VCR.It can record a DVD directly from the camcorder playback.

t
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to my knowledge base. You all are wonderful. I am sorry for just getting back and responding to your input. I will read you suggestions and recommendations and post my additional concerns if any. Thanks again and I hope all have a blessed and prosperous New Year. Thanks All.

bob williams
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hello again all,

I had an opportunity to actually see how the Canon GL-2's are used to record chruch services. There are 2 GL-2's recording the services. Both are separate from each other in that they are not connected to a console or central unit. What I found is that the tape from each GL-2 is removed, labled and stored. These tapes are waiting to be processed.

The church will no longer be placing their service on YouTube because of lack of control, commercials, etc, but will be using a new program called "My Video Talk". I will also be expected to put these services on DVD as well. My Video Talk will give us full control over what goes out and will be free of commercials. We will also be able to use "My Video Talk" to send out video emails, etc. I don't regret volunteering because I want to help my pastor move foward in this ministry but this may be a long learning curve for me. Here are my questions:

1. Are there any conversion programs sold at Office Depot, Staples, etc, that can be purchased to convert what comes out of the GL-2 so that it can be sent to "My Video Talk"? If so what are they? If not where would be a place I could go or contact for the conversion program?
2. Will I actually have to leave the tape in the GL-2 in order to do the conversion?
3. What would be the easiest way to get the signal from the GL-2 into a computer for conversion?

That's all for right now. However, I am sure I will have more questions later as I learn more about how my pastor and church operates in this area. I almost forgot. My pastor will also want to put some of his sermons on the church website. What are your suggestions? Thank you all for being so generous and giving. I really do appreciate.

bob williams .
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hello again, Bob...........

Question:

What computing resources do you have available and where is it/ are they in relation to the physical siting of the cameras?

I ask the latter as you could save yourself a whole heap of hassle fiddling with tapes if you simply connected each of the cameras to it's own laptop, say, using a firewire cable and downloaded the video data directly without using the tapes at all, by which I mean, you use the laptop as your immediate capture device, live.

Yes, you control the recording from the computer software.

That will save you 2 hours at least, assuming two 60 minute tapes.

If that isn't feasable, you could tether just one camera "live" and still ingest the tape from the other after the event.

If that isn't feasable you'll need one of the cameras with a mains power supply after the event to download the data from both tapes to the computer.

To get the data from the tape onto a PC hard drive, you'll need a firewire cable and a freebie download program like DVsplit, Google should turn it up in short order, though someone here is bound to have a link.

Once on the hard drive, you need something to edit the data to make sense of the two data streams.

(Here's where it starts getting interesting).

I'm not going to recommend anything as I'm not at all current with what's available, though as you go up the sophistication ladder the products do tend to get more and more difficult to use, well, to this simple soul anyway.

I got started with this: Ulead VideoStudio - Download (that's NOT the Ulead site, BTW) but I haven't even fired that up in nearly two years, so I meant it when I said "not current".

BTW, if you buy any of the current editing packages on offer you should NOT need DVsplit, they all come with their own ingest systems.

At this point I'll leave it to someone more au fait with what's out there.

CS
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Wrangler

As I understand it, what you want to produce is a DVD and a video that can be streamed over the Internet from a specific service provider (My Video Talk) that is based on a two-camera shoot of church services.

As you can draw from the above,discussion there are many ways to do this, some low cost and some quite costly and elegant.

My first question is what related video and audio resources to you already have in addition to the GL2s? This would include the soruces of the audio for the DVD (camcorder tapes)

Are there any parts of the existign produce that need improvement (e.g., is the sound on your current recordings poor)?

What budget ($$$) do you have for additional equipment, audio, video, computer, and software?

How long does the service run (longest and typical case)?

Are the cameras manned to focus and/or zoom on different scenes in chruch and follow service participants, or lockdown to focus on a fixed area? What are they seeing.

Do you need more editing of the service than simple cuts from one camera to the other and back? E.g., do you need titles, captions, menus, transitions, special graphics effects, alternate sound tracks, etc, on the DVD? Do you need a video inset of a person signing for the hearing impared? Do you need to add additional material to the DVD (e.g., bulletin and/or newsletter type content, printed or spoken)?

How much time do you have available to devote to producing the DVD and video?

How long after the service do you need to have the the DVD ready (8 hours, 3 days, etc.)

And lastly, how computer literate are you?

In general, the more time you have to devote to the process and the simpler the final product, the less equiment and software you need.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders