XM2 Capture problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #1
New Boot

XM2 Capture problem

Once upon a time I lived in Singapore and had no problems with my Adobe Premiere installation and capturing video from my XM2.

I then moved from Singapore to Paris. While doing that I uninstalled my Premiere and did a bit of cleaning up of my computer. It's taken me a while to dust off the camera...

Now I have a problem.

When I try to capture video in Premiere the first frame freezes in the monitor window and the software refuses to capture any video.

I test movie maker and it doesn't see any video either.

I restart my computer.

I try movie maker first. No problem, can do the capture etc. I then try Premiere. First frame freezes in the monitor and no video is captured. I try movie maker again and it doesn't work any more.

I restart. I install Scenalyzer live. I try to capture in Scenalyzer. The first frame freezes and no more video can be captured.

I restart.

I try movie maker. No problem. I try scenalyser and the first frame freezes. I try movie maker again. No video, no capture.

At no time do any of the programs have a problem controlling the camera. Effectively the only program that works is windows movie maker, which is obviously a problem.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?
Jim Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Fred Retread

Since it's a problem shared by two separate third party publishers, sounds like you have something fluky going on with the firewire port driver and/or supporting OS files. I'd try deleting the driver via the Winows control panel, then reinstalling it. If that didn't work a repair overinstall of XP may be needed.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:21 AM   #3
New Boot

similar experience

I had a similiar problem, but I was/am capturing with my notebook... THe capture won't work (no preview, lost frames,...) if the notebook is on power. As soon I disconnect the notebook power and leave the notebook on batteries, everything is working OK....
I couldn't solve the problem, even after escalation to the manufacturer.

Sasha
Sasha Stojkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #4
New Boot

Well I will see if I can solve it by messing with the drivers. If I do faind an answer I'll post it.
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #5
New Boot

Ok, reinstalled drivers. No good. Same problem.

I did install Ulead video studio (it came with the firewire card) and it works but has a sound problem.

Here is the summary:

Windows movie maker capturess
Ulead captures video but has a problem with sound
Premiere doesn't work (freezes within a couple of frames, then goes blank)
Scenalyser doesn't work (ditto)

If premiere or scenealyser are tried first then nothing works afterwards until the computer is restarted.
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #6
New Boot

i gave up trying to solve the problem of my notebook. when i need to transfer the video to hdd, i just add additional battery and thats it...
Sasha Stojkovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders