DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Question for XM2/GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/5226-question-xm2-gl2.html)

Chung Lee November 30th, 2002 07:51 AM

Question for XM2/GL2

I still looking for a camera was thinking to buy the Mx300/500 TRV950 and then the VX2000 but all the test of the GL2
convinced me rather to get the GL2.
But I have some Question.

1. Just read the Gl2 has 6Lux where as the XM2 has3Lux, is it true
2.Does this camera has a pass through, would like to use it also as an Analog-DV converter, can I directly send the Analog to the Gl2 then via FireWire to my PC,without recording first the material on the tape,
3.Does it has a 16:9 Guidline??

Would be thankfull about all information.

Graham Bernard November 30th, 2002 08:40 AM

1. Don't know, - someone else to confirm
2. Yes - someone else to confirm, but I think yes
3. Yes - I believe it does

Get to the Canon website and download the XM2 PDF Manual. I got most of my questions browsing through it.

Regards

Grazie

Chung Lee December 1st, 2002 06:59 AM

No one Knows it exactly???

Tom Hill December 1st, 2002 07:23 AM

1. Don't know.

2. Yes - I've done that with my GL2.

3. Yes.

Chung Lee December 1st, 2002 08:14 AM

Wow!
Thats great, with PassThrough and a 16:9 Guidline, is it able to see this Guidline on the Monitor when connecting it from the Camcorder Video Out??

Graham Bernard December 1st, 2002 11:59 AM

Chunglee - I should imagine that the Guidelines are exactly that. Guidelines!

I should image you/I would film using the Guidelines to only "frame" in a "filmic" sense, what you want. Yes? Then, in an NLE package, I use Video Factory, I could use the 16:9 Crop Format tool to crop, what in essence is only 4x3 format. Yes? Filming in native 16:9 would mean some heftier machinery than an XM2 - which only "creates" 4x3. Does the XM2 produce black strips above and below? Haven't done it yet, but I will try it at some point.

I don't know what a 16:9 piece of kit would cost, but I should image it is way up there.

Thanks Tom for confirming the pass thru'. Very useful indeed.

Regards

Grazie

Chung Lee December 1st, 2002 01:01 PM

Hm!
I just like the look, I know its not a real 16:9.
I need the guidline, so later I can put a letter box on it.

Chungle

Tom Christensen December 1st, 2002 05:01 PM

Remember to set the 'TV Screen' menu item to 'ON' to have the 16:9 guides (and other screen data) appear in the video out. I just figured that out this weekend.

Tom

Frank Granovski December 1st, 2002 07:12 PM

Chunglee,

The GL2/XM2 does 16:9 very well. Plus this cam is a pleasure to hold and operate---considing it's larger size. I'm pretty sure it has pass-through. I don't think you'll go wrong with buying this cam (from a MX300 owner).

PS: don't worry about the lux. This cam will beat out all the MX cams in low light---though about the same (or just slightly better), as the MX300 and MX350. Just my subjective opinion.

Scott Silverman December 2nd, 2002 12:46 AM

hi,
here are the answers to your questions:
1. There is no real standard for measuring lux so the european camera and the US camera were measured in different countries thus having different standards for measuring lux.

2. Yes I am positive the GL2 has pass through capabilities. I read it in their printed brouchure.

3. Yes it does have 16:9 guidelines. (as everyone else said)

Go with the GL2, there really isn't even a comparison to it!

Good luck.

Graham Bernard December 2nd, 2002 02:15 AM

Well - there you have it Chunglee!

I've been playing with my new XM2 over the weekend - IT IS terrrific!

As far as I can tell the audio is superb. I've also used my Sennhieser Shotgun mic - great! The Wide angle W58 0.7 gets stuff into shot which I wouldn't have thought possible. The 20 watt in-fill lamp is truly stunning - One word of caution, and an issue I have still to adress is that when filming in wide angle AND using the MA300 accessory shoe, there is a distinct "shadow" of the Senn in picture. I will get around this somehow AND it will not detract from the awesome quality that this prosumer cammy produces.

I've shown my footage to a devoted Sony DX9000 pro videographer, and he really can't fault it. In fact he has said that when ever I get bored or wish to ditch the XM2 he would gladly accept it! Praise a-plenty, I think. Yes?

Basically, it's over to you Chunglee

Regards

Grazie

Chung Lee December 2nd, 2002 03:29 AM

Thanx alot!
I really appreciate this, I am sure this will be the camera, after I bought a camera magizene with the XM2 test I was amaze about the endresult, believe or not, this camera which cost 1500€ less than the VX2000 here, has the same good(even little better) image result as the VX2000, the only plus point for the VX2000 was the low light and some manual option which the XM2 doesnt have, but who cares.
Anyway wanna thank you and the forum to make it alot easier for me to get the right camera.

Chungle