Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM   #316
New Boot

Microphone and wide angel lens?

First of all i just want to apologize if the things i ask has already been talked about a million times (And that my english sucks! :D )

I bought a GL2 cam a few weeks ago (actually a XM2, i live in Sweden) Anyway, iīve realized that i need:
1) A microphone
2) A wide angel lens

I want a small microphone that works great when shooting documentarys (you know like following a guy and interviewing him while his walking around in a mall or something)
Iīll be handling all things on my own (no crew) and there fore i want a microphone that i just can attatch to the cam and then know that it will be a good sound. No fuzz!
Iīve been suggested to buy the Sennheiser MKE-300 but i think itīs to big! I need a smaller one...

The wide angel lens i just want one thats good but costs a litter less. I donīt really want to spend all that money that the WD-58H costs.

Would be great if you could help me, and perhaps give me a suggestion or two about other things that would be great to have with my cam.
Thanks!
Oskar We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM   #317
Regular Crew

Hey Oskar,

Your English is fine!

I just picked up a used Canon WD-58 on Ebay for $100. It didn't come with the lens hood, but I can spend the money on that one when and if I ever need it. I have seen them sell there for even less.

There are other manufacturers of accessory lenses for these cameras, but many of them are not as good as the Canon, and you will see the difference in your footage.

Regarding microphones, there are no easy answers. I have an Azden SGM-1x shotgun, which works pretty well. Not perfect at all, but I always seem to think that there is a better solution than I have to use at the moment.

The Sennheiser is another moderately priced shotgun, which I haven't used, but I assume its going to give similar results. I expect that a shotgun mic is the best solution for the situation you described. These microphones need to be pretty long. You can probably find a smaller one than the MKE-300, but keep in mind that they make them in that shape and size for a good reason.

I have recently been shooting a documentary in which the interviewer has been holding a Shure SM-58 vocal mic, and mixing that with my Azden Shotgun for ambient sound. The difference in sound quality is HUGE, versus just using the shotgun!

I can only assume that a really expensive shotgun is going to give you better results than these ones. Maybe a really expensive one would be smaller. I haven't used them, so I can't give you specific advice.

Good luck!
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:54 AM   #318
New Boot

Thanks for your answer!

Oh, i forgot to say that i would prefer a microphone with mini-tele so i donīt need to buy that XLR-thing also!

How about the Sony ECM-MS908? Or will that be worthless for me?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM   #319
Regular Crew

My personal opinion is that it is better to go with an XLR microphone, so when you expand to two microphones, connect to a mixer, etc. in the future, it will still be usable. You will definitely need to have an adapter to connect the XLR to the camera. You can go with the box that Canon makes (MA-300, which uses up the hot shoe on top of the camera), the nice Beachtek adapter (which I am sorry I didn't know about before I bought the MA-300), or get a cable converter from XLR to 3.5mm. Shure makes one - the A96F. This was all well discussed in the Audio section several months back.

Look at the following thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22353
Brian Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM   #320
New Boot

Yeah a cable converter from XLR to 3.5mm would be a solution...So now when i got the cable, all i need is the microphone... :D
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:57 PM   #321
New Boot

How about the SGM-X? I donīt even need an adapter for that one
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM   #322
Regular Crew

I added a Canon DM-50 mike not long ago. Very pleased with it and a simple dump into the hot shoe. I dub a lot of track over camcorder sound so mostly I need a directional for interviews or specific sound where Im "filming" the sound. I.E, autmobile exhausts, etc. It works well for the tasks I ask.

On the wide angle lens, I just picked one up but have a newbie question on it. Its a 0.42X AF Wide Angle. Just fitted adaptor ring and screwed onto front of GL2. The view is spectacular but Im getting the black halo from the lens border hood. Not really a hood, just the end of the lens. At full wide angle, the halo is as like a black circle around my footage, and shady at best at full zoom.

Im not using is with the GL2 hood on. Im sure Im doing something stupid here. I just put the WA Lens on an hour ago. What do I need to do to remove the black halo?
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:58 AM   #323
New Boot

So the problem with buying a lens for $40 on eBay might be that the picture will be all messed up? just a useless thing to buy at a low price maybe?
Or is it a problem also with more expensive models like the WD-58H?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:36 AM   #324
Inner Circle

Some good replies here folks. The danger of buying any lens of ebay is that it might be damaged. Any slight marks to the front element will show up badly on footage shot through it as the depth of field will be huge and the front element can be actually in focus in the sunshine. Beware.

I'd also post a warning about the Sennheiser MKE 300 Oskar. Make sure you get the 'D' (for digital) version as there's a lot of hum with the cheaper version. Sennheisser Sweden can do the internal modification for you if you get the original version. I know you think it's too big, but it'll be better than the Sony 908. The 300 is mono only, you realise?

Chris - you're seeing vignetting - a very common occurance with powerful wide-angle converters that are physically too small. The big 58mm filter thread and the VAP OIS on the front of the GL2 mean that you need big glass to give a 0.42x magnification of the image. I'd go with Brian's WD 58 suggestion - this is a fine lens, though not very powerful.

Oscar - look at the Raynox site - they make fine wide-angle converters.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM   #325
New Boot

OK, help me with this:
A camshop here in Sweden sell two type of lenses.
One has "0,7" and the otherone has "0,3", which one of these two is the "best"? I mean, which one gives the most wide angel, 0,3 or 0,7?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM   #326
Inner Circle

The 0,3 is more wide angle than the 0,7.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:39 AM   #327
Inner Circle

The figure is a multiplication factor Oskar. So if you have a 6 mm to 60 mm 10x zoom, a 0,5x converter will change this to a 3 mm to 30 mm zoom.

If you're thinking of buying one of these lenses (0,3x or 0,7x) then I would suggest that you try them on your camcorder before you buy. The 0,3x will distort straight lines a lot, whereas the 0,7x will only distort them a little. The 0,3x is much more likely to vignette the image too - and give you black corners to your frame.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #328
Regular Crew

Kenko Wide converter-opinions?

I found on BHphoto Kenko KR-W075 58mm 0,75mm wide adapter for 79,95$. It sounds much, much cheaper then Canon ones. I need wide for my XM2, so I am considering this Kenko. Any experience with this lens, and are they zoom-through?
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #329
Regular Crew

Hi Darko, We just purchased what I think was a Kenko wd for my sons 1 chip canon. They said it was a zoom through. At about 1/3 of the way through everything gets very soft. We also bought a WD-58 canon lens for our GL-2 and it is definately zoom through and does a great job. The Kenyo does a great job at wide but thats all. The cost for the Kenyo was about 50 or 75 dollars and I think the WD-58 was around 300 dollars.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #330
Regular Crew

Thank you, Terry. I'll go with Kenko. 1/3 of the way seems ok for framing purposes. I am planning to use wide converter on few occasions anyway, not the whole time. For that purpose 75$ is simply a great price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders