Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 28th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #376
Major Player

Guess it would have made more sense if I would have posted a link ;)

http://www.neilslade.com/lens.html
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:43 PM   #377
Regular Crew

buy the canon wide angle lens

I actually bought his GL2 with his own wide angle lens. It has too much distortion in it for my tastes. I just wound up buying canon's WD58 or whatever the real deal one is called.

Peace, Rolland
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #378
Major Player

So it may serve well as a skate lense.

Glad someone actually has some experience to say something about both ;)
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:31 PM   #379
Major Player

Yeah, DIY stuff is cool for support equipment but it tends to err when it comes to lenses IMO. I too would recommend the WD58H or even a cheapy eBay one if you're that desperate for a WA lens. =)
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #380
Tourist

Wide angle recommendations

Sorry, it looks like the search function is not working on this board.

I'm wanting to add a wide angle to my GL2. I know the WD-58 is a screw mounted lens, and that it works well, and reports that you have complete zoom range without distortion. The B&H description says that it includes a hood, but I have never seen one. Is it similar to the one that comes with the GL-2 except that it attaches to the OD of the WD-58?

I'm looking also at the Tokina .65 lens with a bayonet mount. I think that the bayonet mount means that it will fit where my existing lens hood is and twist on in a similar manner. It is a little wider angle, so does any one know if it vignettes at the edges? I got a .5 lens in the kit when purchased and that is useless.

I'm attracted to the bayonet mount idea because of the rapid conversion aspect of this system, though I have never used one. Any one know if the lens positioning is accurate?

Thanks in advance, Gene.
Gene Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #381
Old Boot

"The B&H description says that it includes a hood, . . . Is it similar to the one that comes with the GL-2" - no, it is bigger and has what I call the "tulip" configuration - longer top and bottom and shorter sides - clever. Whatever happens you need it!

" . . except that it attaches to the OD of the WD-58?" Yes. It has a static claw "grip" on one side, and a screw "clamp" on the other.

"I'm looking also at the Tokina .65 lens with a bayonet mount. " Never heard of it.

Yup, a bayonet system is good. But then again, how often are you thinking of changing the adapter? Seriously? I maybe wrong, but I leave my "wide" on all the time. Yeah, at times I get some "bent" lamp-posts RIGHT at the periphery AND it does take out some light .. but I mostly leave it on. Up to you really. The thing for me is not to get too hung up on the kit too much - oh yes I've done that! we all have - the thing is to get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot!

Canon WD58H . . oh yeah the "H" means "hood" . . works for me!

Grazie

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #382
Tourist

Thanks Grazie, I suppose you are right in that I use two cameras and settting one up for wide and leaving it that way will be best.

I saw the Tokina on e-bay but couldn't find it anywhere elde on the web, so it probably has little regard from anyone other than the seller.

And B&H is very reliable vendor with quality products. Price for Canon vs. Tokina is very comparable too. (B&H does offer a range of lenses by Tokina, just not this .65 model.)

Merry Christmas

Gene
Gene Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #383
New Boot

Polarizer for WD58H wide angle

Hi all,

I've done a search on this topic and seen a few options but Im trying to keep the cost of adding this filter to a minimum so matte boxes and expensive sun shades are out of the question.

I have also seen that some people are placing the filter between the lens and the camera, I prefer not to use this option, I am actually using this lens on a Sony VX2100 and feel this would put a lot of strain on the filter threads.

Has anybody tried to mount the filter onto the little holder where the lens cap slips onto the Canon hood?

Otherwise is there a cheap aftermarket hood available that has filter threads for filters?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Joel Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #384
Old Boot

Joel, I agonized for at least 18 months on how to do this in a cheap way. After much MUCH research I decided to try and "hunt" down a Matte box "offer". I found one. Sorry, not a repeatable offer. But now I have it, with a bellows shade, I can honestly say it is remarkable.

El Cheapo solution? Think plastic bottles. Think plastic containers. Think plastic bottle/containers with BIG shoulders and necks. Think Duck tape, and then, ultimately lovely matte black paint. At the end of the day, you ARE gonna need something in front of that massive plano glass to shade it from glare striking that BIG lump of filter glass. I betcha can work out how to do this with Duck tape and discarded plastic - from the sides of the same plastic container? Could look neat too!?!

When finished I challenge you to post it so we can all marvel at your creative abilities. Bottom line, if it works - it works!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #385
New Boot

Thanks for your reply Graham,

There is a good chance I will only ever need to use one filter so Im not going to spend the money on a matte box. I already have the Canon hood that comes with this lense so there is no need to make one out of a plastic bottle.

Im going to measure that lip where the lense cap slips on tonight and see if there are any filters available in that size, I will let you know how I get on.

cheers

Joel.
Joel Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #386
Inner Circle

I use a Series 9 Schneider Tru Polarizer that I managed to get new for an astonishing $25. They are normally $171, so deals are out there. I use a Century Optics Series 9 sunshade that is unfortunately no longer made. I've seen them used pretty cheap on eBay though. I actually got this sunshade free when I bought another lens. My filter is the linear version, and is somewhat difficult to rotate, but it can be done. The rotating version is -- cough -- $285.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #387
New Boot

Need some good Wide Angle Lens advice

I'm considering purchasing a wide angle lens from ebay for my GL2. I got one previously, but the vignetting was so bad I had to zoom in to the point where I had a smaller angle of view than without it. I returned that and decided I'd learn more about wide angle lenses before trying again. I'm finding myself really needing one now and I'd like to get some advice. As much as possible, really. :)

What should I know about getting a wide angle lens to get good results? What sort of things affect what I'm going to get?

I've noticed some (even with the same rating) have deeper and shallower barrels, does that make a difference? Same thing goes for the size of the front-threading, I've seen different sized front-threading for the same rating/ratio as well. Also, I've seen some pictures of the macro lens that goes on the rear and they often have very large rings seperating the lens from the threading, making the lens substantially smaller. It seems that would cause vignetting problems as well.

Also, what should I expect to pay for a cheap but decent wide angle lens? I pretty much see them run from $20 to $200, and I'm really not looking to spend more than $50 (but a lens that produces an unusable image is better left un-bought.)

Anyway, any info I can get would be great. Thanks

PS. I would like to get a wide-angle that gives me a good ratio (I imagine .5x) but I really need to avoid a fisheye effect.
Chris Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #388
New Boot

Hey Chris,

I dont know much about fisheye lenses, I just got a Raynox mx-3000pro but it hasnt come yet so I cant tell you anything about it. As for a wide angle lense from what I hear you dont want to go below a 0.7x because then you start to get distortion (fisheye effect). I got the Canon brand wide angle lense and lense hood from H&B I figure I couldnt go wrong. Hope that might help you out a little.

Oh and $50 for a fisheye I'm sure you'll get what you pay for, I might recommend saving a bit more and be willing to lay down a little more cash for a fisheye.
Matthew Elaschuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #389
Wrangler

With lenses you generally to get what you pay for. Good optics are not cheap.

For a wide angle you need a mount that matches the filter diameter - 58mm with the GL1/2. Any thing smaller is likely to vignette. So if vignetting is an issue for you do not even think about using step-up rings and a smaller wide angle adapter/converter.

The Canon 0.7x has a good reputation. I have a Century 0.65x that I like.

You can also get into the question of zoom-thorugh range - does the adapter allow focus for the zoom range, or is it only usable for part of the range. Othe points include is it multicoated, is it a single element or multi-element.

The first step is to decide how wide you need and what you budget is, then start to look for an adapter that meets you needs. Visit the Century Optics site to see on line demo of their afdapters.
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #390
Capt. Quirk

All I can say, is avoid the cheapy lenses. I bought a tele for my GL, and paid maybe $30 for it. It is so bad, I won't use it for anything but a paper weight. If you need a wide angle, pony up and get the WD 58. It is often sold used for around $100, but is designed for our cam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders