Questions for GL2 Users at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 4th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Questions for GL2 Users

Hi all,

I'm about 1 month away from purchasing a GL2 (saving's plan is in effect), and I have a few questions for anyone who can help:

1) Can anyone recommend the best carrying case for this camera (besides the hard metal case). I've seen the "KATA case for the GL2" but should I consider other ones? I want small, easy to carry, and good protection for the camera. Recommendations?

2) The GL2 Manual lists the "Large Eye Cup" as an accessory that is included with the camera, but bestpriceaudiovideo.com does not list that accessory in the kit contents. Can someone verify if that does come with it? I want to make sure the online dealer ships me everything that should be included.

3) Does anyone have a recommended external mic that they love? I've been looking at the Seinnheiser ME-66 and it's sounds like what I need, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

4) I can't seem to discern from any documentation whether the GL2 is equipt to feed to an external monitor while shooting. Can anyone verify for me whether it has this capability?

5) Is the software it comes with Macintosh compatible?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on any of these questions...

:)
N Aldoroty
Noka Aldoroty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Questions for GL2 Users

<<<-- Originally posted by N Aldoroty :

4) I can't seem to discern from any documentation whether the GL2 is equipt to feed to an external monitor while shooting. Can anyone verify for me whether it has this capability? N Aldoroty -->>>

GL2 has both composite and S-video output jacks. You can route these to an external monitor.

<<<-- Originally posted by N Aldoroty :
5) Is the software it comes with Macintosh compatible? N Aldoroty -->>>

That's more a function of the editing (NLE [i]Non Linear Editor[i]) package you are using. All you need do is check for support. Odds are most packages will be compatible with the GL2 unless you use the GL2 4-track system. Only a few packages directly support Canon 4-track. No problem if you use the cam's normal audio modes.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

1) For soft cases, the "best case" is a PortaBrace. See their site www.portabrace.com for details on their case(s) for the GL2. You can purchase them online at B&H Photo and several other places. They're expensive but they'll easily outlive the camera. For hard cases many people like various models of the Pelikan cases. My favorites are the cases made by Cases Plus.

2) Yes, there is a large eyecup included in the kit. It's handy, although my personal favorite is the Ikkup Rubber Eyecup_sold at VideoSmith http://www.videosmith.com/

3) The ME-66 would be a good choice for a medium shotgun, although the choice depends on what you indend to use it for.

4) Yes.

5) I'm a Mac user and didn't pay any attention to the "software" included. If you have a reasonably current Mac with, say, iMovie you have everything you need.

Have fun!

p.s. Using the Search function to research topics further will be of great benefit to you since this is ground that has been well covered many times by many members here.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Got mine from bestpriceaudiovideo.com with the eye cup included. I capture by firewire on my 667 DVI Powerbook.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 05:47 PM   #5
New Boot

2) Mine came with the large eyecup inside the GL2 box.

5) You don't need any of their software with the Mac. iMovie or FCP will recognize the GL2 video. And OSX and iPhoto will handle the USB connection for still picture transfer from a memory card.
Tom Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 10:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

As far as cases go, and if budget is a serious issue, you can go the route I went -- a $5 vintage tweed small suitcase from Goodwill with $15 of high-grade case foam from the foam store that I custom cut to fit the camera and accessories. This has been a very viable package that I have used in some rugged locations. My documentary participants love the Goodwill aspect, as it makes the expensive equipment much less intimidating. Perhaps it is even less attractive to thieves, though I wouldn't count on that. But it is very effective and cheap.

Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders