DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Hair in viewfinder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/5295-hair-viewfinder.html)

Ryan Bauer December 4th, 2002 05:56 PM

Hair in viewfinder?

Hey gang! I just received my GL2 today!!!!! YES! It's quite an awesome cam...my first prosumer!

I've got a problem though...
It seems that there's a small peice of hair in my viewfinder. I know it isn't on the lens itself because it doesn't show up on the LCD screen.

I've tried cleaning the glass on the viewfinder itself...but it seems to be under that as well.

It doesn't hinder recording much...but it is a distraction when recording via the viewfinder.

I'd hate to send it back for this little problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MarkinVideo December 4th, 2002 06:48 PM

I'm also interested in any responses - I have the same problem as well. That little sucker won't come out!

Frank Granovski December 4th, 2002 08:58 PM

Send it back. Might not be a hair but a scatch or a crack.

Jeff Donald December 4th, 2002 10:52 PM

Ryan,

Your close enough that I would be happy to take a look at your camera. I'm available Saturday and Sunday afternoons. This is a minor repair and if I can fix it, there will be no charge. Email me (click my profile) and we'll work out the details if you'd like.

Jeff

Ryan Bauer December 5th, 2002 07:24 AM

Thanks Jeff!

Thank you so much for your help...but it has somehow worked it's way out in my trials last night. Thank you so much though, Jeff!

It's somewhat of a curse to finally receive your cam at 6pm. It was pitch black outside! I wanna' test this baby!!!!!!

I ended up testing it in the laundry room of my apartment complex. ;0) Nice...even light. Boring footage.

Actually...the motion of the clothes in the dryers was superb for testing frame mode and shutter speeds.

Thanks again for your help!

ŽyanbaueŽ

Bill Hardy December 5th, 2002 08:16 AM

I am wondering if a vibration such as a pluck with a finger or plastic handle of a screw driver tapping against the viewfinder housing can dislodge the hair, if the impact was strong enough. Perhaps it can re repelled from the surface by static electricity? Just some thoughts.

Gargoyle13 December 5th, 2002 09:23 AM

Viewfinder dirt

It's a really risky business trying to clean viewfinders on DV cams unless you use the proper supplies. The best is the sensor cleaners available for digital SLR still cams....they don't leave a residue or lint behind like a cotton swab or tissue will. But it's still quite tricky, and if you order a cam and it comes like that brand new, Frank is right, send that sucker back. It should be pristine.
My ZR25 has a little port with a tiny plastic cover on the side of the viewfinder for these purposes. But, it took me many frustrating tries to remove a hair within it. I found out the hard way on it and another analog SLR cam that got dust on the mirror that using cotton swabs is a big no-no.....you'll make it worse rather than better!
I have personally resolved to never attempt this myself anymore, and rather just put up with it or have it professionally done.

MarkinVideo December 6th, 2002 04:22 PM

We'll my hair won't leave by itself. Got the R/A number today to exchange for a new one. Thanks for the advice.

Scott Silverman December 6th, 2002 07:44 PM

I have a Sony D8 so keep this in mind. I do NOT own a nice expensive camera:

I had a hair in my view finder and it was buggging the crap out of me. My camera is several years old so it is no longer under warrenty. One day when I was using the camera I decided to try and get that annoying hair out. I examined the viewfinder and saw some screws on the bottom. I took them out and my viewfinder came nicely apart, revealing the tiny CRT screen. I could see the hair on the CRT screen. I didn't want to touch it for fear of smudging or breaking it. So I took a small fan and blew some air into the viewfinder hole. The air was enough to get the hair off. I didn't want to blow air with my mouth because of water or condensation forming inside the viewfiner. Anyways, I put the whole thing back together and it worked perfectly, with no hair! So that worked for me, but remember I have a Sony D8 camera that currently retails for about $300 dollars on eBay. If you have a GL2, VK2k, or XL1s I would think twice about doing what I did.

Good luck to any of you with hairs in your viewfinders!

Matt McDermitt March 30th, 2003 07:05 PM

A FIX!

I had the same exact problem, two little grains of sand or dust stuck in my new GL 2! I WAS MAD! Then I found this post! I tried tapping on the viewfinder with a screwdriver... nothing. It was then that I discovered a little flap ON the viewfinder that can be taken off for the purpose of cleaning!!!!!!!! YAY!!! I had to sign up as a member to let you all know! Just more proof that Canon did a remarkable job with this camera!

(NOTE: It is on the back!)

Cosmin Rotaru April 1st, 2003 05:42 AM

Matt is right...

But it forgets to add that you need to use a special tool to open the litle flap: a fingernail.

No realy: how could you miss that, guys?!

:-)

Scott Silverman April 1st, 2003 02:05 PM

That flap doesn't give you access to all the viewfinder. It only lets you clean a part of it. If you have a hair on your LCD screen inside the viewfinder or on the actual lens you would have to take it apart or find some other way. I tried the little flap and there is no access to where the water residue is left on my viewfinder. Thanks!

Cosmin Rotaru April 2nd, 2003 01:10 AM

It seems to be enough room for an air blower to remove the hair. But for the water residue... I don't know. Just take it apart!

Scott Silverman April 2nd, 2003 01:14 AM

I think I might...