Nice headphone gl2 +- 100 euro/dollar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nice headphone gl2 +- 100 euro/dollar

Hi,

I have a XM2(Gl2) and I am looking for some nice headphones.
I have a simple 10 euro headphone for normal use, but the problem is, the sound is not very loud. If I turn up the volume of my headphone on my XM2, and barely can't hear anything (only with the AGC, but not with manual).

I'm not very technical, but I thought it had something to do with the Nominal Impendance of the headphone (no idear what it is) (do I need a high value with the XM2 (64) or is it better to have a low value (32)?

I'm planning to film a stageplay, and I was wondering if the Sennheiser Hd 280 is a good thing to buy. I'm looking for some headphones that are +- 100 euro/dollar, and have some noise canceling capabilities, so I only hear my own microfoon and not all the audience that is in from of me.

I hope someone can give me some advice
Gabriel_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Old Boot

I use the Senni 280 Pro with my XM2. Wouldn't leave home without them. Excellent, if a bit bulky. I suppose we need to way-up bulk against performance.

Here's the link to the specs: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/04974

I did have a wire rupture on me and bought a backup Senni 207 pair. Lighter and more compact. Experiencing both now, I now DO realise I get more of a monitoring profile with the closed back 280 Pro. The repair on the 280 Pro was a a complete replacement - no question from Senni.

A good set of Headphones for monitoring is totally essential for video when need to actual hear audio ON! Oh yes . .. I've done that one! Not switched on the powered mic! Also having a Behringer multi channel mixer, on site, a closed back system is very VERY reassuring. Not necessarily for quality but to actually "fathom" the various audio combinations AND check each channel .. oh yes.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Sony MDR-V700s, but that's just because it's what I have lying around. Any old headphones will work, really. In a spot I've use my ipod headphones are really, really cheap headphones that have all worked fine.

I'd say that either the manual controls on your GL2 are too low or you just need a pair of headphones that works. Don't open your wallet too far, Gabriel, because any old thing will do in this case - unless you really want to spent a load of money, in which case I would recommend the Sony MDR-V700s, or anything in that series.
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Sony MDR 7506 headphones, which have a great sound. I'm very happy with them on my GL2. They are practical, foldable and have a draw-string carrying bag. They are widely used in TV & radio broadcasting. MDR-7506s can be found at many audio retailers for less than $100. Shop around.
Ken E. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm also with the HD280 and 7506 recommendations. I use them for my home studio and they are great. For my video needs, I've been using the in-ear type Shure E3's for their small profile and external noise rejection. They may be a tad over your price range though.
- Varizoom Stealth
Rus May is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders