Just a note to share... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Just a note to share...

quite some time ago I find out, after using my XM-2 for about a year, something really silly : you can't set focus manually while zooming in/out.
That, in retrospect, explained many unfocused zoom-ins, that couldn't get in focus... so, when unsure about focus, and zooming in, I switch temporarly to AUTO focus. sometimes, when enought light is available, this does the job.

Just for you to know.
Alon.
Alon Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

No camcorder using an auto-servo lens will have the capability to pull zoom and focus at the same time. This includes the Canon XL1 / XL1S with stock lens, the Canon GL1 and GL2, the Sony VX1000 / 2000 / 2100, the Sony PD150 / 170, and so on and so on. It's a limitation of that type of lens... on these types of camcorders, one internal motor is employed to change focal length and focal plane but it can't do both jobs at once. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Zooming

Alon,

I have found this to be a real problem for my filming. Here is the best way to beat it on semi distant to distant subjects.

Prior to filming run the zoom out all the way to the end of the 20 x. then focus on a distant object. then you can bring the zoom in back quite a distance and still retain focus. start filming and then zoom in with focus.

this works because every lens has a point where all objects from that distance forward stay focused.

would it not be nice to have lens like savorski binoculars where everything visible is in focus all the time!!!

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders