cam player advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 6th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #1
Inner Circle

cam player advice

this winter I am considering purchasing an economical mini dv to use as a player.
Was curious if you use a different brand than the camera you are using can you pre-record blank screen over the tape with the econo player cam and then use the tape in your gl2 and have the coding be used if you get my drift???? Basicly will the camera interpret the coding the same?
any suggestions for a good economical choice??

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
this winter I am considering purchasing an economical mini dv to use as a player.
Was curious if you use a different brand than the camera you are using can you pre-record blank screen over the tape with the econo player cam and then use the tape in your gl2 and have the coding be used if you get my drift???? Basicly will the camera interpret the coding the same?
any suggestions for a good economical choice??

Gus
so what you're saying is that you want to stripe timecode on a tape with something other than your GL2 to save on head wear? OK simple, all you need to do is put the lens cap on the unit that you pickup and you have blank or actually black screen and timecode will be recorded as you record.

Now, if I might suggest a slightly different approach that will get you a dual benefit. Look for the JVC dual format vcr with mini-dv and vhs. Yes this is going to run betweek 550 and 800 dollars however big advantage with this unit is that it has a firewire jack on the front that you can connect to your computer and output Mini-DV tapes into the computer as well as record them from your computer and you can also dub your editing to the VHS deck via the firewire as well. Another advantage is that you can put a tape in the mini-dv slot and hit record and you get timecode with a black screen.

For the money, it's very much worth it, you'll save your heads on your camera and you'll gain a dubbing deck and an edit deck for your nle system.

Just something to consider.
Old November 6th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #3
Wrangler

Low cost MiniDV camcorder should work, if you need to prestripe tapes. However, if you use EP speed it could present an issue with not tracking.

Keep in mind that for most users prestriping tape is not necessary if you follow safe previewing practice by ensureing you leave the heads over a recorded section of tape before you resume shooting.

Some folks have use the Canon ZR series with a view to staying within Canon's color setting standards when using cheap camera as a backup or second camera. Works for playback/capture too.
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Canon ZR200 is a great little camera and so is the price. Makes a good little second or back up.
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

thanks

Gentleman,

thank you for taking the time. I will check out the zr series canons.

I love the idea of the dual vhs recorder for mini and vhs. I am going to think seriously about that!!!

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders