DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Advice for shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/54324-advice-shoot.html)

Tim Agnew November 13th, 2005 06:43 PM

Advice for shoot

I’m prepping for a upcoming shoot and am considering locations, and was wondering if anyone can give a few tips on this. This is a sports medicine video on stretching, and our first in-house production. The last video was shot inside our office, so it was uncomplicated as far as lighting etc. Am I crazy to shoot this outside if I’m new to video? I found a great location on the water on a dock, but it is direct sunlight. The video has about five minutes of on camera talking; the rest is just shots with voiceover. I was thinking we could shoot it early morning with nice lighting. We have a LOW budget for this video so the equipment we have is it: Cannon GL2, Sennheiser EW100g2 mic., of course tripod. I’m new to setting manual settings on the camera but am getting better. I know there will be mistakes, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim

David Ennis November 14th, 2005 08:21 PM

With the GL2 and the Senn, I think you're in pretty good shape for video and audio.

Outdoors in particular, where there can be distracting features in the background, I would go for as shallow a depth of field as possible. I'd open the aperture to 1.6, and use the built-in neutral density filter and/or the shutter speed to adjust the exposure, and preferentially move the camera back and zoom in. (As you zoom in, 1.6 may not be attainable--the aperture automatically closes a few stops).

Don Palomaki November 15th, 2005 05:35 AM

Outdoor lighting can be harsh, especially if you have direct sun, you probably will need fill light, maybe use reflectors?

If you can, go to the location a few days in advance and do a practice shoot to assess lighting issues at the intended times of day and possible solutions.

Early morning light can change quickly as the sun rises, and if you are editing from multiple takes over a period of time it may be obvious in the final print.

Tim Agnew November 15th, 2005 08:42 AM

So I'd do better to shoot it all at once- even with the changing light of morning (or dusk). Could you all direct me to where to get reflectors and are they costly? Also- what about battery juice? Is there a battery that lasts longer than the one that came iwth the GL2? Seems like I'd run out of juice on a long shoot. Your help is much appreciated.

Tim

Dale Guthormsen November 15th, 2005 09:24 AM

lighting

Tim,

I do 90 % of what I shoot outside. The prior posts are all on the money.

If you shoot near the water and it is possible to be in the picture I would use a polarizing filter so that it will cut the glare off of the water. It will also require the apeture to open up a bit more and also facilitate the depth of field issue.

Gus

Don Palomaki November 16th, 2005 05:50 AM

Most photo/video supplies houses that serve professionals carry reflectors. Try Markertek for one, and see ads in trde press/magazines.

The November issue of Videomaker has some info in the lighting section on using reflectors that might be of interest

Many folks hare having succes with after market batteries, Lenmar and Sunpak are a couple brands I've used.